Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

chain question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
chain question

I might answer my own question here I'm just looking for opinions if I'm right or wrong.

1st off I just bought a 530 108link chain. well I took it to get taken to a 102 6 links off right. well I went in before a shop opened and kinda just walked into the back and asked to take six off so 3 min later I get my chain back and walk off. heres the thing. Maybe this guy was the broom boy but when I got home to throw it all on I realized he counted six.... side plates not links. so I'm short.

Question= Can I throw on two master links? I got the extra he threw it in the bottom of the box luckily.

Hypothesis= if one master link can handle the torque why couldn't two? Doesn't mean the chain will be weaker right?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
That's a bugger! I'll bet you were pissed off!!!

I would install two riveted links in there I doubt you would ever have any trouble.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
You probably could, but I think I'd take it back to the shop and have them make it right. Six links off is obviously not six sideplates.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

I thought about taking it back to the shop but its not like I paid for the thing I got no invoice nothing. I simply walked back and handed it to some dude. I think im just gonna go the 2 master link route and see what happens.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MisfitToy
I thought about taking it back to the shop but its not like I paid for the thing I got no invoice nothing. I simply walked back and handed it to some dude. I think im just gonna go the 2 master link route and see what happens.
masterlinks (riveted) are safe, but using two just doubles the odds of screwing it up. So be sure its done right. You didn't remove your own links, so maybe you don't know how or have the right tools/time? you bought the wrong length chain. the shop you used screwed it up also - so far in looking at it you have only screwed up the chain. I'm sure there are good reasons for all of these things so don't take offense, I'm just trying to be objective in giving you advice - you could be a master mechanic for all I know.
So, just be sure you have the right riveting tool and you splay the rivets the required amount - look it up, and be sure you expand them to the correct diameter and all should be good. But don't just 'see what happens' -- your life could literally depend on the integrity of your work with the drivetrain.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

really I'm not a fan of riveted links and as far as mechanical skill goes I'm no engineer but I can rebuilt complete motors, weld, pretty much anything.

Only had the shop break links as I don't have a chain breaker in my apartment. When I get into my house this month Ill be able to co-locate all my stuff.

I have calipers so Ill find a master link with the same size pin. Bout to say F*ck it and buy me a new chain. I don't know about his KMC chain anyways. (love them on my pedel bikes and dirtbike thought)

The chain was broken correctly the inside of the pins are still perfect. I perfer the clip style pins though. or ... insteed of using a master link
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Masterlinks are not strong enuf for this bike. trust me i just broke my second chain yesterday grabbing third gear at about 125 mph in the 11:00 o clock position.....
scared the **** outa me and im lucky the chain didnt bind or i would not be writing this post. buy a New high quailty correctly sized chain with no master links.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
wait! they all need a master link now - I agree they don't need two of them. The riveted are more secure than the clip style. end of story. But they have to be riveted correctly.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
wait! they all need a master link now - I agree they don't need two of them. The riveted are more secure than the clip style. end of story. But they have to be riveted correctly.
Im sorry you are correct i was reffering to the clip style and a +2 on the riviting has to be done properly that is where both my chains have failed.....looking in to some UBER chain right now 200 bucks damn......
Old 10-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

I also dont plan on being 12 clocked at 120 either. But im looking at a gold EK 530MVXZ chain or a Tsubaki HQR super series chain. bout 110 a peice.

Unless someone knows some great place with killer deals??
Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
I've been running a regular clip style master link with no problems (knock on wood). A Superhawk...I'm not worried about. My '05 zx-10r, however, yeah, that will be rivited.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
My friend got a chain with a clip master link. He put it on backwards (the clip opening) and I told him to fix it. He fixed it so he says and it flew apart at 80mph, shredding the countershaft sprocket cover on his engine case. I'm thinking he didn't reinstall it properly, but either way, its easier to mess up a clip than a rivet.

Filter69- 2 chains? WTF? I'm running a Vortex 520 -1 +2 kit and haven't had any problems at BP other than break in stretch. Are you clutching it up? J/K

Oh yeah,

Ooh Rah