Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

CCT Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Squid

nitram is on a distinguished road
CCT Paranoia

I made the mistake of looking at this forum
Before, I used to trundle about the countryside, in a state of ignorant bliss. Now I pick up on every noise the bike makes thinking its about to blow!!
I know some say the engine makes a noise before the CCT goes, whilst others say it goes without warning. But if it does make a noise what does it sound like and from what part of the engine does it come from?
I seem to have a buzzing noise that comes from the front cylinder left hand side (left when sat on the bike), but thats with my head about 6 inches from the cylinder and revving at 3k. Now I'm aware that its a 1000cc twin so it won't be too quiet, so should I take note or should I just ride the damn thing.
If the CCT's gone would the noise get louder the higher the revs or would it only make a noise over a certain rev range.
Bikes a 98 with 14k miles.
If I have to change the CCT's (rather not) any tips on how to take the from valve cover off? I could only get 3 of the 4 bolts out - no way could I get a socket or spanner on the top left hand bolt - gave up checking valve clearance's in the end
Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Squid

dpenix76 is on a distinguished road
Take off the airbox and cut an access hole in he heat shield under the carbs with a dremel.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
If you can get your hands on a "flexing head" ratchet (one that pivots).. I think (memory is fuzz here) you can get to that back bolt...

J.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dpenix76
Take off the airbox and cut an access hole in he heat shield under the carbs with a dremel.
i just pulled the carbs as a whole then remove the shield. no need to cut it.
i've found tasks take longer when your trying to save time. if your going to remove the cover for the CCT's you might as well check the valves & complete the job will resync'n the carbs. ( good time to replace the plugs too )

so it's easier to just get everything out of the way. imo

tim
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Originally Posted by nitram
If I have to change the CCT's (rather not) any tips on how to take the from valve cover off? I could only get 3 of the 4 bolts out - no way could I get a socket or spanner on the top left hand bolt - gave up checking valve clearance's in the end
Actually you don't have to remove the front valve cover to replace the front CCT. (but you do need to verify TDC)

1. remove the rear valve cover and rotate the crank to the 'RT' mark when the rear cam lobes are all pointed up. That's TDC on the rear - now remove/replace the rear CCT.

2. carefully rotate the crank 450° CCW to the 'FT' mark. That's TDC on the front. Now remove/replace the front CCT.

Since the rear cyl was verified first with the valve cover off (which is much easier to remove) you don't need to visually verify the front cam lobes since 450° counter clockwise will bring you to front TDC.

Many folks will do valve clearance checks at the same time they do the CCT swap - which of course is another story...

If you replace the CCTs with manual APE's then you can set the tension on the adjusting bolt by:
1. fully finger tightened then back off 1 turn (my method)
2. Fully finger tighten then back off about 1 turn - then run the engine to set the tensioning bolt to where it just quiets the cam chain noise.
3. Set the tensioning bolt to allow a certian amount of 'cam chain slack' that you try to measure between the sprockets (difficult to do - and my least favorite method)
Old 04-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Squid

Thanks everyone for your responses - sorted the problem anyway - Just bought a Fazer 1000.

The issues with the CCT's, the lousy gearchange and the problems getting the cam cover off, not to mention the number of bits that seem to fall into the V of the engine whenever you work on it (that are right ba**ards to get out), has meant I've lost confidence /interest in the bike. Think it was time for a change anyway.

Again thanks for the responses - have a good one.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Hope you don't give up on everything that easily, life is gonna suck.

Take care and be safe.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Squid

Believe me, I think I've faced more challenges than this.. and from your location so have you, which is why I find your comment odd.

Life's too short. I'd rather be riding a bike than trying to get a screw out from under a engine bolt.
But if that's what you call entertainment, you're welcome to it.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help whilst I've been using this forum.
Hope to talk to you all again soon.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Upon reading my prior statement again I think it came out differently than I intended. I apologize, no hard feelings I hope.

I've always felt that being able to solve the problems and learn things about the bike I ride made it that much more enjoyable. I think I would be bored if I had a bike where nothing ever went wrong, kind of half the fun for me. I can certainly understand your point though.

Once again, sorry if I offended, take care.