Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Brake Caliper Rebuild Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Caliper Rebuild Question...

Hey All...

I picked up a used brake setup off a RC51 to mount up to my Hawk. While I have the time and the calipers unloaded and off, I was thinking of spliting them and replacing the piston seals and dust rings...

I was just wondering if this is something that will just cause me headaches in the future if I touch it. (Leaks, binding, etc.) I'm not worried about being able to perform the work, I've rebuilt brake cylinders on cars before... but, I guess I'm asking if this is one of those stupid things that you touch once, and then never get it to work right again for some reason... thanks for any input...

Also... if anyone knows where to get a rebuilt kit... that would be cool... otherwise I was just gonna order everything online from Ron Ayers Honda...

J.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Re: Brake Caliper Rebuild Question...

I used some compressed air to pop out the pistons on my previous '86vfr750, cleaned up the pistons and put new seals in. Before they were sticking inside the calipers and not giving even pressure to the pads... It was an easy job, no surprises afterwards either. Fresh seals, clean pistons, no leaky, peace of mind ;-)

I'd say have at it.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brake Caliper Rebuild Question...

Cool... I was hoping someone would say it wasn't a headache in the making. I just finished machining away a bit of the material to get the calipers to seat/mount properly. Now that I'll be splitting them, this will allow me to repaint them as well without masking off the bolt heads.

I'll probably just order the seals, lines and pads all together and go for it.

J.

BTW... for anyone who's interested, I've been taking photos and keeping mesurements along the way... so if anyone wants to see what needs to be done, I can send the pics and dims to you.