Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
Say, while we're on the subject... Is there anything wrong with turning the motor backwards to get it where you want it?

I'm guessing if you do, you want to be going in the correct direction when you stop, as it could make a difference in cam chain slack...
The service manual specifically calls out to turn the crankshaft counterclockwise. Doing otherwise may or may not harm something. But there must be a reason Honda specifically calls it out. There are no cautions or anything against clockwise, but personally I'd sleep better doing it per the manual if it were my bike.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The service manual specifically calls out to turn the crankshaft counterclockwise. Doing otherwise may or may not harm something. But there must be a reason Honda specifically calls it out. There are no cautions or anything against clockwise, but personally I'd sleep better doing it per the manual if it were my bike.

If the CCT is automatically tensioning, I'd be worried about turning it backwards....
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
There is a thread on here to do the CCT swap without removing the valve covers. As you say, TDC on compression is what you must have, not exhaust.

Thie trick is to remove a valve cover bolt on the front cylinder to enable you to see the cam lobe, and therefore determine correct piston position. Then the rear is simply a crank rotation a certain number of degrees. I have done this a couple of times and it works well, and is easy to do.

Do a search for the thread, and you will be home and hosed as they say!