Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bike Sputters

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Squid

itsazonik is on a distinguished road
Bike Sputters

I have a 2000 Superhawk, all stock. I can't figure out if its a fuel problem or a transmission problem. When i am riding at times, more often today than in the past few weeks, the bike feels like it loses power for a second and makes a sound like the clutches are slipping. it doesn't always make the noise but does it often now. It only does it at crusing speed, never in accel or decel. no back firing, no smoke, startes perfect and runs perfect at all other times. at idol it has no problem saying at perfect idol. anyone have any ideas? If it is a tranny problem what is the average cost to replace clutches?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Squid

So i took the bike out last night and noticed its doing it more. I will be riding along and it feels like im losing power for a second, the tranny clicks and then its fine. if i roll on the throttle no problems. it does it mostly in 3rd and 4th gear around 3000 to 4000 rpms.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If your clutch is slipping then your RPMs would go up while the bike slows down.. Is that what happens?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by itsazonik
So i took the bike out last night and noticed its doing it more. I will be riding along and it feels like im losing power for a second, the tranny clicks and then its fine. if i roll on the throttle no problems. it does it mostly in 3rd and 4th gear around 3000 to 4000 rpms.
Is it the tranny that's clicking, or are you hearing a bit of afterburner. Sometimes, with twins it can seem as though the tranny is clicking when in reality it's just your engine catching back up. Usually when you have tranny issues it will show its ugly head when you are accelerating or engine braking. How many miles are on the machine? Also, some of the pre-2002 Hawks had problems with the cam-chain tensioner. Just out of curiousity, when was the last carb sync done? Check under your front cylinder intake manifold and make sure the little bolt is in there good. If that has a leak in it, you could have some of the same issues. A quick way to check is to start the bike, let it warm up and idle. Then spray some starting fluid around the intake manifold. If you hear the engine go up or down, that means that you have an intake leak. Check it out and let me know.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Do a search for the carb shim mod. More than likely it's an overly lean condition at steady, partial throttle position. Colder, denser air may actually exacerbate the problem as well. Cheap fix.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Squid

donniefnoker is on a distinguished road
mine did almost exactly what your describing put a new set of carbon kevlar clutch discs in and it went away... does it do it when you crack the throttle hard at 3-4 grand?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Squid

donniefnoker is on a distinguished road
oh yea watch those damn cam chain tensioners mine broke and received 3 bent vales that was a horible day and it started out just makin some weird noises i couldnt explain...
Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
From what you describe I would suggest that you need a carb tuneup rather than looking for a mechanical gremlin in the tranny. That said, I would check the chain and sprockets to make sure that tension and condition is OK.
At cruise speeds with the throttle barely opened, if you have a carb sync or a rich/lean condition you will get the symptoms you mentioned. Next time you are out and getting the 'missing' crack the choke a little bit and see what happens. If the bike runs better, you are a bit lean. If it loads up you are rich. This can also be confirmed by the plug condition and colour.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Squid

The bike has just under 18,000 miles on it. i went out today and put 70 miles on it. when im in 3rd gear running about 3000rpm's it feels like it will lose power for a second and i can make it do it myself just by cracking the throttle a little bit. it doesn't do anything when i accelerate or when its engine braking. only when im at slight throttle just crusing. if i downshift and run up the rpms it doesn't do it any more. i also noticed it did it a lot less today when i had someone on the back. i checked the chain tensioner but don't know how lose is too lose. on my CBR it wasn't hard to tell if the chain was lose. the guy i bought it from said he put a new chain and sprocket set on and showed me the honda reciept.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Lose - lacking, lost, misplaced, gone

Loose - not tight, relaxed, not attached, the ***** down the street

Sorry, I had to. complete.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
carb fart.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Squid

For the chain tensioner, easy to check or take it in? i have been working on cars my whole life so the mechanical part of it is easy but as for the bike, is that a hard thing to do? i checked the bolt on the front cylinder, sprayed it with starting fluid and nothing changed. that is still good. while i have the rear tire off for new rubber im going to check the chain and make sure its ok. any suggestions on chain? this is one of those issues that is so hard to explain what its doing. its hard to get a good idea on what it is. sometimes it feels like the engine just loses power for a second, sometimes it feels like the chain has too much slack in it but the more i feel it the less i think it is a transmission issue because when it does happen i don't get a high rev at all, i get a stall like feel.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check the owners manual and/or download the service manual. Drive chain adjustment is easy and is something you should check at least as often as a rear tire change.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Squid

Yeah i knew it needed to be checked and since i am getting a new rear tire i figured it had to be done. i just didn't know how hard it was. im downloading the manual now
Old 11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Squid

So tomorrow the bike is going in for a new tire and have the chain checked. ill just let honda do this one since i work every day this week. they are also going to take it for a ride and see if they can figure out what is causing my mysterious problem. ill let you know. Thank you everyone for all your help