Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Anybody had this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody had this problem???

03 VTR occasionally resets the clock & trip odometer on it's own.

I'm guessing it's a loose connection or bad ground.....somewhere....

Was wondering if anyone has had this problem & found the fix.

I'll start by looking there first in my troubleshooting.

TIA

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Squid

Mithrandir
Uh oh,. You are about to loose the reg/rec. These are the stock symptoms of this happening. It will be dead within a couple of weeks.

Have a read of this page: http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/.../dead_reg.html

and then go check your bike. I'm positive you're going to find those same brownish connections happening.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
SuperSport

Re: Anybody had this problem???

Got me worried so I went & checked the R/R after reading your post.
It looks fine,
No burned or discoloration of the plug or wires at the R/R.

Battery checks at 12.5 volts sitting (everything off with no load)
Idle @ 1200 RPM is 13 volts
2000-3000 RPM it is 14 volts

Looks like Honda upgraded the R/R on this 2003 model with heat sink type fins.

If i can figure out how to upload these pictures you can see it.

I would be really disappointed with Honda if 2003 (new old stock) bike that has only been in service 7 months had a R/R failure already.
Guess I'll keep checking electrical connections.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:18 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an alternate suggestion. has the bike taken a hard hit? or a crash or anything that might have really jarred the guage cluster? the reason I ask is because after I crashed my SH last summer, I noticed that I couldn't cycle to the trip meter from odometer. keep in mind, my bike as a 98 so the guage cluster is different, but anyway, when I finally got a chance to open up the guages and see what was going on, I noticed that a connection had snapped loose on the circuit board behind the speedo. if you pressed the housing for the power wire going to the board, the trip/odometer would work but as soon as you moved your finger, the connection would break, and no go. I used a small piece of wire, and fasioned a sort of clamp to hold the housing tightly against the circuit board. I was concerned that it would vibrate loose, but that was about 2 months ago, and so far so good. I know that your setup will be different, but it could just be a connection issue.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point

Another symptom of the R/R going bad is the headlamp bulbs going out for no reason. This happened a few times over a month or so, and I thought I was just getting cheap bulbs, then just like you, the Odom/trip would blank out, then one day the battery started to boil and what a foul smell that was for just a few minutes before I figured it out and shut it down..... I bought a new one from ServiceHonda.com for way less than the dealer, including shipping within 3 days..... Also if you want, I got a newer used one from the 1998 SH I just bought.... Let me know and I will send you some pics, etc....
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by swordfish";p=&quot
I have an alternate suggestion. has the bike taken a hard hit? or a crash or anything that might have really jarred the guage cluster? the reason I ask is because after I crashed my SH last summer, I noticed that I couldn't cycle to the trip meter from odometer. keep in mind, my bike as a 98 so the guage cluster is different, but anyway, when I finally got a chance to open up the guages and see what was going on, I noticed that a connection had snapped loose on the circuit board behind the speedo. if you pressed the housing for the power wire going to the board, the trip/odometer would work but as soon as you moved your finger, the connection would break, and no go. I used a small piece of wire, and fasioned a sort of clamp to hold the housing tightly against the circuit board. I was concerned that it would vibrate loose, but that was about 2 months ago, and so far so good. I know that your setup will be different, but it could just be a connection issue.
No, the bike has never been hit, fallen, or crashed.

I wonder if the original factory warranty carries over to the second owner ??
It should still be in warranty till either March or April 2006.

A new R/R from Servicehonda.com is $101, from ronayers.com it's $108, & from Bikebandit.com is $156 !!
OK, maybe I'm a cheap skate but $101 + shipping could buy some 'bling' instead of a replacement part.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point

Save your $$$ for bling..... I'll sell you the new/used one from my red 98 for $25.00 plus 6.00 shipping which includes insurance (2day priority).
Old 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Don't over look the battery. It may be going out if the bike was serviced but then sat on the showroom floor. A battery in constant need of charging or a flaky cell could cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

No, there's no warranty for a second owner. If there was, then we all could become dealers.