Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Another CARB set up thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Follow up:

Pulled one shim from the rear carb before a 3500 mile trip last month.
rideability remains excellent, fuel mileage increased some 20 miles per tank.

I'll get some dyno time here in the next few days if all goes as planned... will be interesting to see what the AF is
Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
You guys are killing me... y'all live too far away! I need a local expert that can be bought (or borrowed) with a six pack of beer!

I have my carbs in pieces, and I'm almost scared about putting them back together, and trying to get all those hoses right.

I took loads of pictures before and during disassembly, but I'm really wishing I had labeled and numbered each one. V engines always get me in trouble, I'm an inline four guy.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You're only like 5 hours away from me!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
E., have you messed with the carbs anymore or hit the dyno lately?

I'm getting as much information possible crammed into my grey matter before tackling my carb tuning with the F.I.L. (Filter In Lid) mod. I'm going to miss the 130-150 miles per tank!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
E., have you messed with the carbs anymore or hit the dyno lately?

I'm getting as much information possible crammed into my grey matter before tackling my carb tuning with the F.I.L. (Filter In Lid) mod. I'm going to miss the 130-150 miles per tank!
It runs and "feels really good... But the Dyno run showed it to be a bit rich mid throttle... So I took the total shim stack height on each needle and made shims .005 less. Added a little more fuel screw and left pilot and mains alone.

Feels about the same, need to get back on the dyno to confirm the AF.

My AF monitoring planes on a stand alone on board system got set aside as Im putting all funds and time toward a new venture.

Im teaching an MSF class at the shop on Friday... if weather is not bad I might get the bike down there for a quick pull.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Back on the dyno

Love having access to a dynojet dyno
Name:  965B3ED0-5D08-4241-8229-CD3F60C91F2F_zpscoabt0uo.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  90.3 KB
Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Fat, fat, fat

The current setup 175/178, 48 pilots (Mikuni brand jets), Honda OEm needles all OEM shims plus 1 additional .030 shim per needle, OEM long slide springs, is waaaaay rich... pilot circuit, transition to and main jet

Like almost plug killing rich. ...idles at 11.4 drops to 10 and lower just off idle and stays at 11.1-12.3 all though the main circuit.

So back to 45 pilots and no extra shims under the stock needles with the current 175/178 mains and I'll run it again in the next few days.

Bottom line

At least on my bike the "magic carb set up" while not un rideable

It is slow to rev out . Stinky rich. And the AFR does not lie .... It's just Plain way rich

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-04-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:11 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Fat, fat, fat

The current setup 175/128, 48 pilots (Mikuni brand jets), Honda OEm needles all OEM shims plus 1 additional .030 shim per needle, OEM long slide springs, is waaaaay rich... pilot circuit, transition to and main jet

Like almost plug killing rich. ...idles at 11.4 drops to 10 and lower just off idle and stays at 11.1-12.3 all though the main circuit.

So back to 45 pilots and no extra shims under the stock needles with the current 175/178 mains and I'll run it again in the next few days.

Bottom line

At least on my bike the "magic carb set up" while not in rideable

It is slow to rev out . Stinky rich. And the AFR does not lie .... It's just Plain way rich
Cool pic. Do you 178 on the rear?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Interestingly after fitting stacks im leaning it off all over. Just dropped .5mm shims as blowing black smoke on the needles. Probably heading back to 45 idles to.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jerryh
Cool pic. Do you 178 on the rear?
Yes

175 front / 178 Rear
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

So parts ordered,,, some new 45 pilots, new plugs.

Once installed will need to wait for a SAT that Im not teaching or done early and I'll get it back on the Dyno.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Good show Erik. 2 Questions: Are you running the stock stacks, or Dr. Honda's ? Also, have you ended up blocking a hole on the rear slide, or just the front ?

The stack question is the most important, since this affects airflow to the carbs alot in comparison to the stock.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Good show Erik. 2 Questions: Are you running the stock stacks, or Dr. Honda's ? Also, have you ended up blocking a hole on the rear slide, or just the front ?

The stack question is the most important, since this affects airflow to the carbs alot in comparison to the stock.
OEM stacks

Currently
Plugged one factory slide hole and the one drilled for the DJ kit install in the front slide. On the rear slide, I plugged just the DJ kit drilled hole, leaving the OEM ones.
But when I install the 45 pilots I'll be drilling the factory hole again.
The tuner Im working with on the dyno has more than 30 years of experience, he is a former World Superbike racer, then mechanic, from back when carbs ruled the track.
So based on his advice and several hours of dyno time so far..we are going back to stock.

Not dissing the carb set up many have found to work... just that, it's not working on my bike,, and the AFR clearly proves that.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

OEM stacks

Currently

But when I install the 45 pilots I'll be drilling the factory hole again.
The tuner Im working with on the dyno has more than 30 years of experience, he is a former World Superbike racer, then mechanic, from back when carbs ruled the track.
So based on his advice and several hours of dyno time so far..we are going back to stock.

Not dissing the carb set up many have found to work... just that, it's not working on my bike,, and the AFR clearly proves that.
Watching with interest.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Round 3:

Carbs came out today, new slides (factory holes only) new jets (factory size and brand) new plugs, and air cleaner.

Going to base line the bike on the Dyno saturday... Lets see what this perceived seat of the pants issue is that so many have "cured" by adding enough fuel to feed a GT car at Le Mans.

Starting to wonder is the OEM jetting is nearly as bad as some have posted after using a SEAToPANTS dyno to decide shimming needles, bugger jets, blocking slide holes was the answer.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Interestingly after fitting stacks im leaning it off all over. Just dropped .5mm shims as blowing black smoke on the needles. Probably heading back to 45 idles to.
I removed the extra shim from rear the other day. Running Dr Honda's and a BMC street filter with FP kit. I have 1 slide hole front and rear.

Erik I really appreciate what your doing here with all this testing and dyno's in-between. Thanks.

For the record I ran totally standard for a while apart from Micron non race cans (totally baffled street legal) when I first had the bike. IIRC I had some carb farts and stalling issues which I cured with the TPS, a tweak of the Mixture and obviously carb balancing. The bike ran beautifully, idled perfect and was smooth all the way through, fuel consumption wasn't too bad either, when taking it easy. But by the seat one thing always niggled me, it always felt a little flat. And then the tinkering began LOL

What AF's are you aiming for and where? Are you starting off on the lean side and then going a little richer towards the top? Which exhaust can do you think is best for taking a reading from or should both sides be probed and then let the dyno do the calculations? Sorry for all the questions but I would be interested in your opinion.

I was reading something interesting the other day that got me thinking.

The following is copied and pasted snippets (notes) I took while surfing the web. Sorry I couldn't say from where exactly or how reliable a source they are.

Note 1:
A fuel air ratio of 12.5 : 1 is good for maximum power, 17 : 1 is good for fuel economy and 14.7 : 1 is the ideal for complete burning and lowest emissions. Most people try for 14.7 since this is where the engine runs best and since too rich (12:5) wastes fuel, and too lean (17:1) makes an engine run hot. There are other things such as air temperature and barometric pressure which vary quite a bit so a carburetor is not set up for peak power (or maximum economy) unless you are prepared tweak it like racers do just before each race.

Note 2 (this I found particularly interesting):
neither cylinder is always leaner or richer. through the rpm and TP range, it can vary a bit. a dual cylinder tune is better than a single cylinder tune, and an experienced tuner can make a good dual cylinder map in just a few hours. but is it necessary? nope. a good single cylinder tune is good enough for most people. since it is tuned based on both cylinders, the average may be 13:1, but one cylinder might actually be 12:1 and the other 14:1. if the map is based solely on the cylinder that runs the leanest, it will be tuned for 13:1, while the other could be running at 11:1 on the other

(:-})
Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cybercarl
What AF's are you aiming for and where? Are you starting off on the lean side and then going a little richer towards the top? Which exhaust can do you think is best for taking a reading from or should both sides be probed and then let the dyno do the calculations?
I'll be aiming for just rich side of stoichiometric at idle 14.7 and moving towards 13.8 at WOT.

As for which pipe to draw samples from.... I've used both and not seen a huge difference . That is with OEM headers, to include the Y "restriction" and OEM cans that have been debaffled.

I have a set of headers at the coaters now that have O2 sensor bungs in them. The intent is to run a real time Af gauge set up at some point... but it could be used otherwise for the Dyno probe as well...

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Keep going mate.

This may just be the holy grail of carb set ups.

My bike is so finicky that by stopping an exhaust leak the carbs were out of sync.

I am running a DJ kit with no holes drilled, standard air filter, high comp J.E and a few other tweaks.

I love the power and torque but always feel there is more compared to my EFI bikes.

Watching this with interest.

Please keep us informed as to your progress as dyno time here in Oz I'd stupid $$$$ and I rely on my seat of the pants.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Keep going mate.

This may just be the holy grail of carb set ups.

My bike is so finicky that by stopping an exhaust leak the carbs were out of sync.
Not just your bike, every carb equipped one.

One of my former Soldiers is a Tech now, rebuilds carbs for airplanes, he works in a shop that builds one brand and only a few dozen types of carbs.

Each carb is rebuilt where every passage, is redrilled to spec, every jet replaced THEN drilled to spec, every orifice redrilled.

Then each carb is run on a mammoth flow bench against a "Master" carb set of specs..
Fuel and air flow at many points and passages are checked.. anyone even slightly out of tolerance means the rebuild is rejected, and has to have adjustment.. another .0001 increase in a hole there, .001 reduced there.

Watching the process reminds me carbs are very imperfect..and the reason there is NO ONE perfect carb set up. Add to it the many other variables from a second carb bolted on via mechanical linkage, to engine and exhaust and it makes the myth of the common carb set up even more folly.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Starting to wonder is the OEM jetting is nearly as bad as some have posted after using a SEAToPANTS dyno to decide shimming needles, bugger jets, blocking slide holes was the answer.
As this comment might be taken as an attack on the info I posted a while back all I will say is that when I did the set up work, it was all done on a dyno.

Yes there was a bit of road (or seat of the pants) testing thrown in to test real world ridablity.

So I do hope you get your stuff dialed in. All I can say is I have had good results with the set up I posted.

Like I have said many times, each bike is different and there is no "One" set up.

The only reason for this post is to clear up that Yes I did user a dyno to look at the fuel curves after each change I listed.... Shimmed needles, Larger pilots and the HRC blocked lift hole (just listing it that way as that is where the whole thing came from)

Carry on and good luck
Old 10-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
As this comment might be taken as an attack on the info I posted a while back
No attack was intended, nor directed to you in any way.. My apologies if you . somehow assumed a post about not using a dyno and AF readings was ..about you that did use a dyno and AF readings to find the best set up.

Please post the Dyno results if you will.. I never saw them in your set up thread... The set up that worked on YOUR bike, failed to work on mine,, as we both could have guessed it would as, each bike, carb, are is different. .. Thats not a slam on you.. heck I liked your approach enough i copied it to see if it would work for me..It did not so Im on to a better approach

love to see your AF charts as you worked up your set up.

Thanks

Erik
Old 10-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Round three on the dyno

Butt dyno on the way to the shop says we are way off

No power, slow to rev

If I was missing a glove I'd look in the air box
Attached Thumbnails Another CARB set up thread-dyno-18-oct-14.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-18-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

And on to round 3.5

Something is amiss and it's not the set up.

One slide is not coming up.

The new used slides may be sticking in my carb body or there is a diaphragm issue.

So back apart it comes and we will see what we see.
Attached Thumbnails Another CARB set up thread-image.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-18-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:09 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
As this comment might be taken as an attack on the info I posted a while back all I will say is that when I did the set up work, it was all done on a dyno.

Yes there was a bit of road (or seat of the pants) testing thrown in to test real world ridablity.

So I do hope you get your stuff dialed in. All I can say is I have had good results with the set up I posted.

Like I have said many times, each bike is different and there is no "One" set up.

The only reason for this post is to clear up that Yes I did user a dyno to look at the fuel curves after each change I listed.... Shimmed needles, Larger pilots and the HRC blocked lift hole (just listing it that way as that is where the whole thing came from)

Carry on and good luck
I think to be fair we are spanning many countries, fuel types and altitudes. I ended up using Hawks setup as a base line when I had a more stock airbox.

Thats off the table now with FIL. But the bike ran very well with it.

My set up Im currently reading the rear as to rich. Doing some plug reading. But am looking for a dual O2 gauge setup.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
I think to be fair we are spanning many countries, fuel types and altitudes. I ended up using Hawks setup as a base line when I had a more stock airbox..
Absolutely... and Im not knocking Hawks work or what worked for him or others.. Just that the set up he suggested in his thread made my bike run way rich, plug fouling rich.

I have a very early 1st year VTR1000F... perhaps it has different carbs, head, valves, or just a combination of tolerances and worn parts ect that causes the "Hawk Set Up" to not work well on my bike. Thats not a knock on anyone else, just what I have to work with.

I look forward to reading the Dyno graphs and AF charts from Hawks many Dyno runs. It would greatly assist in displaying the changes he made and the effects it had.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-18-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Found a tear in the front carb slide diaphragm. Was large enough to cause the slide to lift slowly or not at all. Was not there on install, such is the way with install old used parts.
Ordered some new carb slides from Honda, stock order goes in this morning at work so I should have them mid week.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Found a tear in the front carb slide diaphragm. Was large enough to cause the slide to lift slowly or not at all. Was not there on install, such is the way with install old used parts.
Ordered some new carb slides from Honda, stock order goes in this morning at work so I should have them mid week.
Great work mate there is always a cause when things suddenly go wrong the bitch is finding it
Old 10-22-2014, 01:53 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Keep going Erik!

I am happy with my set up but Dyno time is so expensive here that I can't really tell if all is well with my set up.

I rang a Dyno shop the other day and when I told the guy what I had he lost interest very quickly.

Words to the effect of too much drama for me are still ringing in my ears.

I am envious of you and look forward to your post with the new diaphragm when you get back on the dyno.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 PM
SuperSport

I have ended up back at 45 idles with the FIL mod. Now it acts as it should on the fuel screw.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but lots of carbs experience here, so rather than start a new one I just would like to post my DJ run. I got a bitchin lean spot at 3.5k. I can't see anymore the runs the OP posted to compare. Unfortunately the pics expired. But, at least for my bike, it's always been there, even when I dynoed it years ago. Oddly now it's causing misfires every time I cruise at that regime (1/8-1/4 throttle). Not sure if it's on the front or the rear since I didn't have separate AF probes during the runs. Other than that, the engine runs solid all the way to redline. What do you guys think could be the culprit? I'm using a pilot jet #45. Change it or maybe try first to raise the needles a notch? I'll appreciate any advices that may save me from going more insane than the last time I worked on the carbs. Thanks!
Attached Files

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another CARB set up thread