Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Airbox questions: Oil and Foam

Old 11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Airbox questions: Oil and Foam

Cleaning my K&N and saw oil in the crease at the bottom of the airbox. I suspect where it came from, ie, where it is NOT, is a larger problem than where it IS. Any ideas where it could have come from?

Also, replacing the little foam breather thingies as they were all goopy. I got a lawnmower filter, cut the quadrilateral to fit, and then cut that in half. Seems to be a good thickness, at least it physically fits, and now I have two.

Having a hell of a time cutting a circle for the main hole, though, so I cut each one in half and cut notches, like a big end bearing. Is that gap significant? Better to duct tape the two foam pieces together to prevent particle contamination, or better to leave it untaped for airflow? I don't fully understand what the purpose of these things are so I have trouble figuring out if I'm fixing it or breaking it.

I read this thread:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...filters-31328/

But was not able to apply that information to what I'm seeing.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Airbox questions: Oil and Foam-airbox.jpg