Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Add a circuit the easy way

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Add a circuit the easy way

So found these neat little add a circuit things that piggy back off your fuse box but keep both old and new circuit individually fused. Got some for my car and bike.
I'm also building an electric vest out of a heated seat cover but that's for another thread.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-12V-...72.m2749.l2649
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Looks like an easy way to overload some wiring! Not saying you will. I've seen some real doozies @ the shop and this would for sure clean it up, if used properly. Nice find!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Yea ive used these before.
I try to split the rating of the original fuse if possible to be safe. Although there is a bit of overhead in most wiring.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Ya Nancys. If the circuit is overloaded, the internal wiring will act as a natural fuse.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
To each his own, if it works for you do it.

I prefer to install a secondary fuze block
FZ1 Welcome to Fuzeblocks - Out Stuff blows so yours doesn't is my current go to.
6 circuits for up to 30 amps.
Each circuit user selectable for constant power or key on
Small and fits well under the seat on a SH
Attached Thumbnails Add a circuit the easy way-fz1-installed.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 06:25 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I must have added at least 25 circuits to my VTR through old fashioned distribution blocks with each circuit independently fused (or with a circuit breaker), and most controlled by a relay. It looks like well organized chaos behind my fairing, under the tail and tank, which adds at least 15 minutes to removing and reinstalling the fairing anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Add a circuit the easy way-p0014_260212.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-p0010_260212.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-p2260093.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-p2260102.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-p2260092.jpg  

Add a circuit the easy way-20171001_185021.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-20160530_111500.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-20160530_121411.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-20160804_083020.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-20150921_193410.jpg  

Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I must have added at least 25 circuits to my VTR through old fashioned distribution blocks with each circuit independently fused (or with a circuit breaker), and most controlled by a relay. It looks like well organized chaos behind my fairing, under the tail and tank, which adds at least 15 minutes to removing and reinstalling the fairing anyway.
Absolutely can be done that way, did it for years the same..
But wouldn't you rather have this

You can also get motorcycle specific connectors easily these days, so no longer do we have to use bulky SAE plugs, or WeatherPak connectors

Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories
https://www.corsa-technic.com
Attached Thumbnails Add a circuit the easy way-fuse-box.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-streety.jpg   Add a circuit the easy way-tiger-fz1.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 PM
MotoGP

Ok ok yeah I know there are more elaborate wacky zany calculated "permanent" methods.
I do have a secondary fuse block with individual fused circuits on my bike.
BUT no way do those come close to the versatility this gives you.
You could add a fused circuit to your bike or car, or someone elses bike or car ON THE ROAD. Like on the fly in 5 min and remove it just as quick.
None of the other ways are even close. You could add it to a freakin rent a car or whatever. In the field.
Think of the possibilities!
Try to block it out of your mind that you didn't think of or post it first......
Old 01-20-2018, 03:20 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
HaHa Joe,

I have ordered some .

What a great idea, saves hacking into wiring.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I'm dying to see some pictures of one of skokie's rent-a-cars now.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Ok ok yeah I know there are more elaborate wacky zany calculated "permanent" methods.
You could add a fused circuit to your bike or car, or someone elses bike or car ON THE ROAD. Like on the fly in 5 min and remove it just as quick.
None of the other ways are even close. You could add it to a freakin rent a car or whatever. In the field.
Try to block it out of your mind that you didn't think of or post it first......
OK so your talking adding a circuit in the parking lot at Bestbuy during a road trip and you want to add a Radar Detector..Sure, absolutely, understand your still limited in amps to the primary circuit wiring , but heck ya as a parking lot hack.....Id do it for sure..
I thought you were talking about using this silly things for a normal install...And if you, well, to each his own, if it works for you go for it.
I just know folks pay me good money to remove that kind of "permanent " wiring to do wacky and Zany stuff like add, well permanent wiring..lol
Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Absolutely can be done that way, did it for years the same..
Erik,
#1 I started with my electrical mods right after buying my 98, so that was almost 20 years ago before all the newfangled digital fuse boxes and connectors were readily available. #2 the new black boxes (and some can be controlled via Bluetooth) are relatively expensive, where as my components were/are dirt cheap and available anywhere. #3 I did use buss bars for a central connection and distribution point fed by large gauge grounds and positive. This offers a very compact system with all the fuses emanating from them close to the devise or a the buss bars keeping things either centrally located or near the use point.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Joe,
I have used them as well where appropriate for low amp devices but, only right is right...

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:49 PM
MotoGP

Lets just all agree these are awesome.........