Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

94 VFR750 shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
94 VFR750 shift lever

JimTT suggested putting on a shift lever from a 94 VFR750 to reverse the shift pattern on a VTR. Thought I’d give it a try.

The short answer is that it fits and it works.

The tip of the gear change lever is tucked in about an inch from the stock position. Clearance between the gear change lever and the foot peg bracket is minimal. I was able to adjust the position of the lever so it doesn’t foul anything but others may not find the position to be acceptable. I think more pressure on the lever is needed to change gears but I didn’t do a back to back comparison. I’ve also got rather small feet, size 8 1/2. (shows what foot binding can do) People with bigger feet might have problems. The VFR lever is also ugly. Unlike the lovely cast piece on the stock VTR, the VFR lever is painted steel and it’s connected to the part that fits on the shifter shaft with a particularly hideous weld.
There wasn’t anything wrong with the stock shift arrangement on my VTR. There wasn’t a lot of play in it and, if I missed a shift, it was the rider’s fault rather than the machine’s. I find now that up shifts, especially first to second, are more positive because I’m pushing down on the shift lever. I haven’t missed a shift since I made the change but sometimes I do a flawless gear change to a gear I don’t want. The retraining process isn’t over. It’s amazing how much more attention I have to pay to push the lever in the right direction than I had to pay with the stock arrangement.