Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Why should I wear full Gear all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
Back in the '80s my Aunt and Uncle hit a Black Angus cow, about 4 years old, at approx. 65 mph. Killed the cow. They limped away with bumps, bruises, sprained ankle and road rash.

You ever seen road rash from cheek to chin? Palm of hands? Butt?

Hope they made the cow into leathers!! LOL

Fish
Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 PM
large member
Squid

afm528 is on a distinguished road
One of the motorcycle magazines ran an article a few years ago about someone who DIED from skin infections caused by a crash under 30 mph. I guess when you grate your skin off on the pavement it's hard for the docs to get all the crap out afterward. Any time I think it's too hot, I just think of that person. And also every time I see someone riding in shorts and flip-flops. Scary, scary stuff.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
ATGATT is a great motto, and I'm liking 'Take it to the track.' more and more.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
You got it right.

Bitch! The chief of police set her straight though.
If you scratch up my fairing by polishing your fingertips on the yellow line I am going to be pissed!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
I know I'm preaching to the choir but if you need more reason to wear or encourage another rider ATGATT, Google "Brittany Morrow".
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i ordered boots j/ now, thats all i ve been lacking, i have a RF-1000, feildsheer flex jacket, the tall gloves, and the pants were given 2 me so dont zip in jacket but i ll get right pants soon, moneys tight ha
Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
Imagine a giant concrete grinding wheel spinning at 60-80 mph. Now imagine pressing your face against it as hard as you can for 5 seconds.
heh. That blacktop sure is abrasive.

Paul.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I usually ride with jeans on, but after reading and seeing some of this, I started looking at riding jeans.

Most don't have armor, but have reinforced panels for abrasion resistance.

I was looking at the Icon Standard Jeans
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...E8D34636B1D4E0

Thoughts, comments, any users of these jeans?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by COLE
feildsheer flex jacket
Smart purchase. The Fieldsheer Flex jacket is fully perfed leather. The protection of leather and flows air almost as well as mesh. Fieldsheer makes good stuff.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Posted by Cornandp:
yep, also shows you how much their boyfriends "really" care about them as well.
**** the *** do not **** up the ***.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
I have written about a particular idiot harley wanna be hard *** at my work before. He would give me so much crap for riding full face helmet and jacket all the time. All he would wear was a chicano style headband and a gay leather vest with some gay rocker on it. Needless to say he was fired from this job for has lazyness, go figure. Hope the headband helps when his face hits the pavement at 55 (top speed) of his hardley oil leaker ..
Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mboe794
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6175&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1 244312919
I'd ride that!, But of course, I'd wear full gear.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Ok, so I usually ride with jeans on, but after reading and seeing some of this, I started looking at riding jeans.

I have the Competition Accessory "Sliders" brand. Better than regular jeans, but they are heavy and hot. No air penetrates the reinforced panels and causes me to sweat in the knee and crotch area. I wear them in colder weather. Of course, they have no padding or armor but I hear some wear separate knee pads underneath.

I wear nylon overpants with CE knee armor, hip padding, and kevlar panels nowadays. Very happy with the overpants. I can wear shorts underneath and adjust the air flow if its hot or wear jeans and close them up if its cold. HTH.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
Up here in new england it never gets "that" hot, Like so hot you want to sit in a kiddie pool filled with ice, in your front yard, naked. No point in going anywhere without the gear! Living this way has paid off, went down last week at about 50, sand and night rides don't mix well.I'm glad the gear was on...shitty cell pics but you all get the idea
Attached Thumbnails Why should I wear full Gear all the time?-0715091936.jpg   Why should I wear full Gear all the time?-0715091937.jpg   Why should I wear full Gear all the time?-0715091939a-1.jpg   Why should I wear full Gear all the time?-0715091939b.jpg   Why should I wear full Gear all the time?-0715092234.jpg  

Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM
SuperBike

Get's a little hot by the beach here in New England, I'm in RI. Couple of days last year, it was miserably hot for here, nothing compared to AZ, but dry and hot and sweltering even in my mesh jacket.

If you're ever down this way Navy8ter, hit me up.

RunRowdy, yes it did help. I think I'll look at the Icon pants or another breathable textile with armor for riding. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
Get's a little hot by the beach here in New England, I'm in RI. Couple of days last year, it was miserably hot for here, nothing compared to AZ, but dry and hot and sweltering even in my mesh jacket.

If you're ever down this way Navy8ter, hit me up.

RunRowdy, yes it did help. I think I'll look at the Icon pants or another breathable textile with armor for riding. Thanks for the input.
You talking Watch Hill area of RI? Beautiful beaches, decent women. I grew up just around the corner in mystic
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
For those that don't have any knee/shin protection a cheap and very effective aid is a pair of mountainbike knee/shinguards. I have a few used pairs from Fox I bought. Wear them under my pants when I'm not using them riding my mountainbike. Saved me ALOT of grief the last time I lowsided a few years ago. Got up and walked away instead of peeling my kneecap off. Think I paid around $30 on ebay. Get some!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by NAVY8TR
You talking Watch Hill area of RI? Beautiful beaches, decent women. I grew up just around the corner in mystic
Yeah Watch Hill/Misquamicut. I live right off Beach Rd. short ride down to the beach, don't make it often though, too much damned traffic sometimes.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NAVY8TR
Up here in new england it never gets "that" hot, Like so hot you want to sit in a kiddie pool filled with ice, in your front yard, naked. No point in going anywhere without the gear! Living this way has paid off, went down last week at about 50, sand and night rides don't mix well.I'm glad the gear was on...shitty cell pics but you all get the idea
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...milies/eek.gif

****, maybe I should replace the t-rex sliders with a crash cage.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road

Havent tried those, but i bought the "Icon victory riding jeans" and honestly.... i have a pair of jeans from old navy that are thicker and IMO, would offer better protection. I wont buy them again.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I crashed 20+ years ago on a freeway transition road (oil or diesel fuel) with my leather jacket bungee'd to my seat. Lucky for me I was wearing a sweatshirt. I usually rode home from work during summer in a t-shirt back then.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
+1 on the AGATT. For those of you that don't know, road rash is more painful and takes longer to heal than broken bones. Think about those thousands of nerve endings in your skin all getting exposed via asphalt grinding wheel. Know what they do to ya in ER? Scrub the **** out of you with a brillo pad to remove all the dirt and gravel that was force fed into your flesh. Then you get the fun of having a 2 square foot scab that oozes and cracks every time you blink. Can take months to heal fully. Bones will knit in a matter of weeks. Not to mention all the little pieces they missed in ER that slowly seep up to the surface of your giant scab, necessitating more scrubbing etc. Do yourself a favor and gear yourself up and your passenger. A little sweat is better than road rash any day of the week.

Also a little PSA regarding jeans. While the "riding" jeans offer more protection than regular jeans, they will still shred and lead to road rash sooner than leather or textile. Was looking for the link to a site that documented a bunch of crashes with jeans and they did not hold up well, even the Draggin, Icon, etc. Couldn't find it, but just a friendly word from a motorcycle saftey instructor : dress for the crash, not the ride and wear all gear all the time.

Last edited by JDRiderCoach; 09-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
I haven't been down on my motorcycle yet *knock on wood* but i was out cycling last month and got cut off by some dumbshit and ended up shattering my kneecap. needless to say, i will be doing some shopping for lower body protection this winter so as to not get myself banged up in case of a riding accident when i can finally break the Hawk out again.

left a nice impression on that guys hood. thank god for having helmet culture beaten into my skull...

i guess my point is, if i can be turning pedals at 15-18 MPH and manage a debilitating injury that benched me for half the summer... there really is no justification for not going full gear all the time on a bike of the motorized sort. I'm not saying anything that others havent already said, just trying to reenforce the idea of AGATT. be safe!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Info on nylon overpants

Runrowdy,
Can you provide more info on the nylon overpants. I have to wear dress pants to work and would ride to work more if I had something I could remove easily and store in my tail bag.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i need boots, havent found a pair i like yet so for now i ride in columbia high top hiking boots. theyre great and durable. but ive got evreythign else. i dont get the idiots who ride in penut helmets. sure you look stupid and everyone laughs,but the biggest thing is prooving how cool you are by taking bugs and rocks off the face at speed. i for one know how much i dislike taking a big in the neck at 60 mph i cant imagine enjoying it any more in the face or down the throat
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I have all the gear. Except for "motorcycle" boots. I bought a pair of very lightweight, waterproof, side zip tactical boots from Big 5 Sporting goods for $40. In my opinion, they will do the job just as well as any WAY overpriced bike boot...
Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I have all the gear. Except for "motorcycle" boots. I bought a pair of very lightweight, waterproof, side zip tactical boots from Big 5 Sporting goods for $40. In my opinion, they will do the job just as well as any WAY overpriced bike boot...
Not trying to be a dick, but I disagree. Proper riding footwear is just as important as the rest of your gear. I'm sure work boots are more protective than Vans or flip flops, but they are certainly not designed for riding or the forces that come into play when you crash. Riding boots are designed for just that. I see a lot of riders whose protection stops at the waist. They invest in a quality helmet, jacket and gloves but neglect the pants and boots. The longer you ride and more knowledge you aquire, the more gear you invest in. I know times are tight, but that extra $50 for decent riding shoes is worth it if it prevents serious injury. I ask my students this question all the time: how much is your personal safety worth to you? FYI, if you shop around deals can be had. Example: I recently purchased a pair of $150 Alpinestar lace up, work boot style riding shoes for $50 on sale at Cycle Gear. They were last year's model, but who cares? They work great as range shoes when I teach the MSF classes. Comfortable to walk in, but plenty of protection when riding the demos. OK, Safety **** is out.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Agreed! Most think of motorcycle accidents as deadly and assumed to be final.

Not true.

The most common severe injuries are to hands and feet. Go to youtube and look at the crashes. Hands and feet just flailing about.

Like is said - shop the sales, the season ends, be determined about what you want. Pay special attention to the size charts and return policies.

All the gear - all the time. You do want to hold a spoon when you're 70 right?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
For those that don't have any knee/shin protection a cheap and very effective aid is a pair of mountainbike knee/shinguards. I have a few used pairs from Fox I bought. Wear them under my pants when I'm not using them riding my mountainbike. Saved me ALOT of grief the last time I lowsided a few years ago. Got up and walked away instead of peeling my kneecap off. Think I paid around $30 on ebay. Get some!
AMEN or even better

Icon Field armour, fits amazing, u forget you're wearing it. i wear it under my jeans or my textile pants along with NEXO boots and either my Teknic leather jacket or JR textile...

i've gone down once, a low side and my knees got messed up, gone down a second time at 60mph and the jeans were shredded at the knee point, but the knee armour took all of the damage. i was fine cept for a bit of rash where the glove wore through on the palm
Old 10-03-2009, 04:57 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JDRiderCoach
Not trying to be a dick, but I disagree. Proper riding footwear is just as important as the rest of your gear. I'm sure work boots are more protective than Vans or flip flops, but they are certainly not designed for riding or the forces that come into play when you crash. Riding boots are designed for just that. I see a lot of riders whose protection stops at the waist. They invest in a quality helmet, jacket and gloves but neglect the pants and boots. The longer you ride and more knowledge you aquire, the more gear you invest in. I know times are tight, but that extra $50 for decent riding shoes is worth it if it prevents serious injury. I ask my students this question all the time: how much is your personal safety worth to you? FYI, if you shop around deals can be had. Example: I recently purchased a pair of $150 Alpinestar lace up, work boot style riding shoes for $50 on sale at Cycle Gear. They were last year's model, but who cares? They work great as range shoes when I teach the MSF classes. Comfortable to walk in, but plenty of protection when riding the demos. OK, Safety **** is out.
I disagree. The infinite possibilities of an accident tell me I am no better off with $200 boots as apposed to my $40 boots. To each their own.

The more expensive boots can only protect from rash a little longer. They can not prevent a crush or dismemberment injury any better than the cheapies.

Quick Reply: Why should I wear full Gear all the time?