Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Transition shield

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Transition shield

Does anyone make a transition or auto tint shield? if not why not? A powered one like a welding mask would be awesome if done correctly for those strobe like flashes of light riding through trees on a sunny day. And it would be nice to be able to ride on a sunny day and not have to carry a clear shield to be safe at night.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Yes, someone makes one. I forget the name of the shield company, but they did it in coordination with Transitions, who does all of the glasses.

Go to www.solfx.com They run about $129.99 and have models for most of the major helmet manufacturers. I am thinking about getting one for the upcoming riding season.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Yes, someone makes one. I forget the name of the shield company, but they did it in coordination with Transitions, who does all of the glasses.

Go to www.solfx.com They run about $129.99 and have models for most of the major helmet manufacturers. I am thinking about getting one for the upcoming riding season.
?? where did you get this from? All I can see from Google searches is that they plan on doing this.
http://www.motorcyclingmag.com/Photo...e_Face_Shields

this site seemed to have the latest info
Old 01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
SuperSport

Found some more info....
http://www.shieldtechllc.com/product...rts-visors.php
Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a Scorpion EXO700 about 2 or 3 years ago solely because they were the only one to offer a photochromic face shield, although it did turn out to be a very nice helmet. Although they are a bit pricey, it's good to see that Shield Tech is offering photochromic shields for so many models. The one for my Scorpion lasted 2 years or so before the photochromic element wore off.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
SuperBike

Sorry, gave a bad link. I saw them in one of the magazines.

The Shieldtech LLC is the correct link. http://www.shieldtechllc.com/

Prices are on the link that Steve provided. I'll repost. http://www.shieldtechllc.com/product...rts-visors.php
Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i had one for my scorpion, but i dont think they still make them
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Squid

bink is on a distinguished road
Scorpion discontinued their photochromatic shields, they stopped changing after repeated use. A company called Wiki makes them for some manufacturers. Your best bet is to get a Pinlock shield for your make of helmet, then get one of their photo inserts, they are also fog free! Total investment is about $75 to $125, depending on the brand of helmet.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Akuma Helmets have a photocramatic shield that they sell for their helmets.

http://www.akumahelmets.com/home.php

I am thinking about getting some of their gear, mainly the V2 Stealth Helmet.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Squid

bink is on a distinguished road
Akuma also has a "tint on demand" shield. Liquid crystal filled, battery operated, tints from clear to dark in .1 second, only available for a couple of their helmets. VERY pricey too..........$199.99 for the shield!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
There is also the photochromatic inserts..

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ty-progrip.htm
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...enix/6944.html

I know nothing of their quality.

Last edited by lazn; 01-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
this was discussed on another bike forum im on. apparantly people were complaining the shield wasnt transitioning fast enough when entering and exiting dark areas such as tunnels. those people i think are retarded. if youre riding with a tinted shield and hit a dark area so be it, you have to deal. personally id love a transitional shield for day to night time riding. alot of our rides start off in the afternoon and run into the night. so last thing i wanna do is be stuck with my tinted shield running into night time. means i either have to go home or carry the clear shield which is just a pain in the ***.

there is one film i found for a decent price but it was blue. now i doubt that blue has the same effect as yellow does for enhancing colors and really do you want to see everything in blue? even a light tint would be perfect and if it transitioned to clear in the darker hours id be more than happy. gonna check out those links that were posted see what comes up
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I use the fog city & have for about forever. It really does a good tint job in the sun, and even (maybe) better it NEVER fogs. So dead of winter I can keep the visor down at traffic lights w/o vision loss. It tints just enough to make you not need sunglasses.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by uchi
there is one film i found for a decent price but it was blue. now i doubt that blue has the same effect as yellow does for enhancing colors and really do you want to see everything in blue?
Actually, blue is used to filter yellow and make things whiter. Hence the blue tinting on light bulbs. Not to make them blue, but to make them whiter. Learned yesterday when talking to a lighting guy.

I know, the converse is they sold those "blue blocker" sun glasses and they were supposed to be like HD for the eyes.

I don't mind yellow glasses, but I did try a helmet with a yellow faceshield and I did NOT like it at night.

I'm tired of my tank bag, I've been looking at the sport tail bags. If I can find one I like, I might keep my clear shield in there, at least, until I decide to spring for one of the transition shields and give it a try.

Erik
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Actually, blue is used to filter yellow and make things whiter. Hence the blue tinting on light bulbs. Not to make them blue, but to make them whiter. Learned yesterday when talking to a lighting guy.

I know, the converse is they sold those "blue blocker" sun glasses and they were supposed to be like HD for the eyes.

I don't mind yellow glasses, but I did try a helmet with a yellow faceshield and I did NOT like it at night.

I'm tired of my tank bag, I've been looking at the sport tail bags. If I can find one I like, I might keep my clear shield in there, at least, until I decide to spring for one of the transition shields and give it a try.

Erik

that makes sense, and ive also tried yellow glasses, i bought riding ones i could toss into my pocket and ride visor up at night time, wasnt a big fan either.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Quite a few companies now offer helmets with drop down, internal, half-shields that are dark tinted. The first helmet I had with this feature was a Schuberth Concept 1 and now I have a Viper V-121. It's a very useful feature that I can't do without.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 AM
SuperBike

im gonna go ahead and assume that shield website has either gone under or has given up hope on making a transitional shield. it hasnt been updated in like 2 years. so id think their days are over, even though id buy a transitional shield right now from them
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
The Akuma Phantom II Carbon comes with the SOLFX shield as standard fitment. By the time I get to the end of my driveway the shield has transitioned from clear to dark smoke. Very effective. Plus the Phantom is just about the lightest full-face helmet sold in the US. Excellent carbon fiber too.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
SuperBike

oh yeah? how much is it worth?

my problem with helmets is that i need to try one on before i buy it, ive got one of those heads that needs a 2xl in some brands and an xl in others
Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

Looks like a nice helmet.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...uma-phantom-2/

Trouble is I already have two nice helmets. Wish they would hurry up and offer these for other breands...
Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 AM
SuperBike

oh yeah man its a gorgeous helmet, my next one is gonna be cf and if i can find a place that sells akumas i hope their largest fits my big head and ill buy that cf one on the spot.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
SuperBike

**** my life. i talked to the akuma people through numerous emails, the person i spoke to said im between a large and xl and to order xl. so i do, it came in today, doesnt fit. not even close. not even clearly my brow line for christs sake. according to their size chart i should fit into an xl with room to spare. damnit, im so pissed right now.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
guess I'm old school. I just wear shades behind a clear lens.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by swordfish
guess I'm old school. I just wear shades behind a clear lens.
i would too but with my shark helmet glasses dont fit between my fat head and the padding, and when i do jam them in there after about 15 minutes it feels like a took a bat off the side of my face
Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Uchi, keep in mind a helmet should feel tight initially - after a break in period it will loosen up. Can you replace cheek pieces like in Shoei helmets?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
**** my life. i talked to the akuma people through numerous emails, the person i spoke to said im between a large and xl and to order xl. so i do, it came in today, doesnt fit. not even close. not even clearly my brow line for christs sake. according to their size chart i should fit into an xl with room to spare. damnit, im so pissed right now.
Kwitchurbellyakin. I'm a XXL.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 PM
SuperBike

haha i wear an xl shark and a 2xl hjc. the xl akuma wouldnt over my head to my ears. if i vcould have even put it on it would have broken in but this thing, even if i yanked the liner wou, the shell wouldnt have fit past my ears. their helmets fit 1 size smaller. the website says 61 to 64 cm is an xl, im 61.5 cm at the largest point and i couldnt get it on, chances are had i run head first into a wall it may have fit but would have ripped off my ears and never came off again, lol. so ive got another model on the way now, the apache in 2xl with the gold chameleon transitional shield. if this doesnt fit im giving up on akuma
Old 05-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I've got three Shark RSR 2's- a Fujiwara rep, a DuHamel rep, and a Foggy Tribute- all in large and all fit comparably to my three large Arai RX-7RR's, my HJC AC-12 Carbon, and my Akuma Phantom Carbon. Keep in mind that most riders, myself included, wear a helmet that's too large for our noggins. Every time I visited the Arai section at the Dealer Show in Indianapolis I was told I should be in a medium. The rep would force a medium onto my head and say, "That's how a helmet should fit!" Of course my cheeks and eyeballs were being forced out through the eyeport making me look like Marty Feldman. The Akuma does have a very round shape- I can touch the chinbar with my jaw so this helmet is not for the Jay Leno jawtypes.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 AM
SuperBike

Yup understood. My mx helmet is a l/xl combo and it fits me a little loose. Akuma just has thei sizeing chart backwards. And everywhere I read everyone says they're sized 1 size smaller. So I'm hoping to god that the xxl fits me. I had to pay to ship the phantom back and they're shipping the apache at their expense. But I'm not gonna be impressed if I'm gonna be have to shell out another 30 on shipping.