Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Not impressed with Shoei face shields/visors.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Not impressed with Shoei face shields/visors.

Anyone else have beef with these?

I've tried two different new Shoei RF1000 helmets, the visors fog up worse than any other visor I've used, and have poor clarity. Makes night riding difficult at times and the UV coating seems to make it worse, and they seem to soak up every finger print or spec of grime. Defogger spray doesn't seem to help.

I had two cheapo Scorpions, two different KBCs for a few weeks, and tried my g/f's Arai, no issues with these ones.

I love the fit of the helmet, except for the massive airflow behind my ears that gets deafening. I'm going to try ear plugs and a different visor.

Any recommendations?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
kbc has always worked great for me. i havent had any other helmets though, so unfortunately, i dont have a reference against them.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
your head fits you GF's helmet?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I have a cheapo Z1R.. the wind noise is loud. Is this the case with most helmets? I ask cause you mentioned the wind noise..

I ride with the visor cracked ALL the time, cause if I dont it fogs up on me..
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I have issues with the fogging, but not clarity. I use Plexus and clean the faceshield often, and when it's clean, it's like it's not there as far as how clear it is.

I have a replacement chin curtain on, see if that helps with wind flow.

I ordered a Foggy from aerostich.com, it will definitley help with the fogging as it gets colder.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
1Liter Rider
Squid

bcsnave is on a distinguished road
I have a Honda SR4 (Shoei RF1000). I have the chin curtain and the nose piece in and it does get loud. It really isn't too bad for fogging.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I use "never fog" on my RF900 and 700 before and no complaints - clarity is very good with the clear and the blue irridium shields I have for it. I haven't tried a 1000 so I cannot compare it to the older models.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto on the use of Plexus. If your not using this product, you should. It seals the pores in the plastic. That is how it works so well. Think... plexiglass. It was made for the airline industry. My Shoei X-11 doesn't fog up at all when I use it and the bugs come right off when I use it as a cleaner. Use ear plugs to keep the high frequency wind noise from making your ears ring.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
With Plexus, it's almost a daily requirement, and then it works awesome. I notice fogging when I haven't cleaned it in a while.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
+2 I use plexus on the windscreen, sure does seem to help the bugs to come off easier.

Originally Posted by motojoe
Ditto on the use of Plexus. If your not using this product, you should. It seals the pores in the plastic. That is how it works so well. Think... plexiglass. It was made for the airline industry. My Shoei X-11 doesn't fog up at all when I use it and the bugs come right off when I use it as a cleaner. Use ear plugs to keep the high frequency wind noise from making your ears ring.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
honda polish for me! with a microfiber works well
Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
SuperSport

So you guys put the Plexus on the inside and the outside? Cleaner and defogger?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Yeah, so what's it to ya? I have a medium sized forehead and small sized jaw. Your jaw may be a few sizes larger.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I have the nose piece thing on my Shoei. It doesn't fog much at all. I do use anti-fog on the inside and reapply every other month or so. I figured the chin curtain would trap moist exhale air and make fog-up worse, so I never tried it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
we wear the same size helmet too...mostly cause she's got a lot of hair
Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I have had the Chris Vermeulen replica (shoei x-11) for over a year and I love it. No problems whatsoever and the quality is top notch. My Arai actually fogs up more than my shoei.I put fog x on the inside of it though and when its cold i have a Respro fog guard for both.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...BLK&tier2=3118

Last edited by Condor; 09-16-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
So you guys put the Plexus on the inside and the outside? Cleaner and defogger?
I use it in/out on the face shield.
I also use it on my helmet, windscreen, fairings and gas tank on the SH.
Works great. Bugs come off easier too.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
I have a RF1000 w/chin curtin in. No problems with fogging. I use Rain-x windshield washer fuid to clean the sheild.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
I have the nose piece thing on my Shoei. It doesn't fog much at all. I do use anti-fog on the inside and reapply every other month or so. I figured the chin curtain would trap moist exhale air and make fog-up worse, so I never tried it.
My experience with the chin curtain is yeah, it did sort of undo the effectiveness of the breath guard, so I removed it.

I may try some rain-X, thats some good stuff... although it's so good that it might make your wiper blades on your car chatter, so I'd avoid it there, especially on an older car.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Back Marker

Tonyizcool1 is on a distinguished road
I don't really have a problem with fogging....but the wind noise is annoying on my Shoei
Old 09-24-2008, 12:43 PM
SuperSport

The wind comes in mind from under and behind my ears, I need some sort of curtain around the back. I have a long ride this weekend, I'll just use earplugs for now. I feel like I've already damaged my hearing in 10 months of riding without ear protection.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road

Shoei breath guard.

You should be wearing ear plugs no matter what helmet you have. Even with "quiet" helmets, you get way too much wind noise over 50 mph.

I have an RF-1000 and I don't have the slightest issue with the visors. Whenever I look at an Arai or especially HJC I'm always struck by the quality of the Shoei. This is compared to three AGVs, two Shoeis, an X-Lite, an Arai, and probably something I'm forgetting.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
SuperSport

I'm using that already. Wish it was a rubber piece like my Scorpion, that foam one damages easily.

Also the mechanism to crack open the visor on the RF1000 is garbage.

This is the 2nd Shoei I've broke one on, they only seem to last a few months at most. The detent either wears off and doesn't hold the visor open, or the plastic on it cracks and doesn't hold tension on it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I currently wear an Arai Corsair RX-7, Medium. I can't even get my wife's Arai over the top of my head.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
No one uses a fog-city? I ride all winter & couldn't get by w/o it. No fogging in damp january. Case closed
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I'm not impressed with Shoei in any case. All Snell approved. $500-$700 for a helmet less able to protect your head than the $80 Bell DOT helmet at Walmart.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
RK1
MotoGP

If you spent $500-$800 for a Snell helmet, read it and weep-

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
My rf 1000 fogs up a bit I use plexus for cleaning as well but for the months I know it will fog up I use scott anti fog cleaner, the more you use it the better it works.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_55-6105_G

As for the read it and weep I think we've all read that article by now and we can all have our own opinons on it besides that there's more to a helmet then what they're testing like ventilation and aerodynamics. Sorry but when I'm doing 150 down the back straight I'm not going to trust my head to a $60 Wal-Mart helmet that will rattle my teeth from buffeting. Most tracks won't even let you on with a helmet like that, different riding requires different gear. Some of the points are valid which is why Snell is adapting new standards but to judge a helmet by just that article eh.

Last edited by superhawk22; 12-04-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Condor
I have had the Chris Vermeulen replica (shoei x-11) for over a year and I love it. No problems whatsoever and the quality is top notch. My Arai actually fogs up more than my shoei.I put fog x on the inside of it though and when its cold i have a Respro fog guard for both.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...BLK&tier2=3118
I love that helmet, which color is it?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
My rf 1000 fogs up a bit I use plexus for cleaning as well but for the months I know it will fog up I use scott anti fog cleaner, the more you use it the better it works.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_55-6105_G

As for the read it and weep I think we've all read that article by now and we can all have our own opinons on it besides that there's more to a helmet then what they're testing like ventilation and aerodynamics. Sorry but when I'm doing 150 down the back straight I'm not going to trust my head to a $60 Wal-Mart helmet that will rattle my teeth from buffeting. Most tracks won't even let you on with a helmet like that, different riding requires different gear. Some of the points are valid which is why Snell is adapting new standards but to judge a helmet by just that article eh.
I agree there are lots of reasons to spend more on a helmet- comfort, quiet, air circulation, style etc. And no, I don't have an eighty dollar Walmart helmet. I've got a pair of MSRP $450 Nolans which I bought on closeout for about $100 each.

1) I was trying to have some fun and stir the pot a bit.

2) I firmly believe your brain is better served/protected by a DOT helmet than a Snell.

3) If you are on a tight budget and your primary concern is protecting your head, the $80 Bell from Walmart will serve you as well as any $500 lid.

PS I'll bet 90%+ of guys who ride never read that "blowing the lid off" article. If you can afford and really want a helmet that costs six or eight hundred dollars, by all means go for it. Just don't believe you need to spend that much to protect your head. Lot of guys don't have $600 for a helmet and shouldn't feel bad about it.

Last edited by RK1; 12-04-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with Shoei face shields/visors.