Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Neck Brace

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Neck Brace

After doing a search I did not find the answer regarding neck braces I was looking for. I am participating in my first track day Aug. 30th at the Ridge Motorsports track. (Old Fart Class)
In addition to proper riding gear, I was thinking of purchasing a good neck brace as additional protection.
My question is do any of you use one on the track/street, and if so which ones? Are you happy with them?
I have looked at the Atlas Brace Technologies and the Alpinestar Bionic SB for starters.
Thanks much.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I do not ride with a neck brace on the street due to not being able to afford the price tag on the one I want, but I do ride one in the dirt. Leatt makes the best neck braces out there (save the airbags). I highly recommend Leatt braces for their protection and comfort. I have used them in the dirt, and they have saved many people in crashes, and do not transfer the energy to the collarbones (the most likely place to break in a streetbike incident) like other braces that sit directly on them. Here is the link to accompany my .02 Street | Leatt® - Engineered for Performance. Protective Sports Gear
Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Leatte Neck brace. It's what I was going to get when I was looking into them, and I believe it's the only neck braced designed for street bike use, not motocross.

I shied away from getting one after I heard they cause a lot of collar bone breaks. But I wasn't aware the Leatte was designed differently to prevent this like KCCO suggests. Maybe I'll get one for next year.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the info guys I watched the vids on sportbike trackgear and other sites today and the Leatt looks like a nice brace. Appreciate the feedback. 400 bucks seems like cheap insurance in the event of a get off of any kind. Even if they do look funny, its a serious piece of gear IMO.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Superstock

In regards to the broken collar bones; in any motorcycle crash the collar bone takes a great impact from the forces the arms take. Being how thin they are they just snap. While the Leatt doesn't help with that, it does makes sure the energy from the head and neck is not transferred to the collarbone to dissipate the enegegy, rather it redirects it to the sturnum and back/shoulder area which are much more robust by design. I'm not a doctor nor a salesmen for them, I just want to get the info out there. Having done a little EMS I have seen the effects of the brace and cannot advocate them enough... I don't have one for the street, only dirt though.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Superstock

Here is a review from webbikeworld.com
Leatt STX Brace Review - webBikeWorld
Just to clarify, I never thought about buying or wearing one before planning my first track day, which in reality is a safer environment than the cage infested, unpredictable street in most cases. So go figure.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Good info' thanks for sharing.
As an off road rider as well as street, that was on my purchase list for a while now, but never seem to get to it due to all the reasons mentioned earlier.
I guess now I will put it much higher priority on my list.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have only ever seen someone with a pre-existing neck problem wearing one on the racetrack. I really dont see them in roadracing the way they are everywhere in the dirt.

If you can add protection and still get in race positions then it makes sense, but the contortions on a sportbike are quite different than on a dirtbike so I would imagine it would have to address that.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Superstock

NHSH, As I'm sure you know, the dirt and street brace are two separate designs and down work well in the other environment. I'm sure you know that just throwing it out there.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

Yea i do know i meant it was on my list for both, but never actually considered the street as a real priority and that's after over 20 years of riding streets and several accidents

Last edited by NHSH; 08-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Leatt is a great product, with all parts replaceable. However, I am more concerned with spinal protection then with collar bones, although just as important to protect. EVS makes a great spinal protector, and, made in different configurations.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Superstock

Your right, they don't provide spinal pro, but the back supports are sepperated to allow for a back pro/ race hump. To each their own when it comes to protection. I mean really, if you go down hard it's a crap shoot on how we come out. Some horrible crashes are walked away from with no protection and some "minor" crashes in full leathers/pro are fatal. But it's the assumed risk, all we can do is mitigate the possibility.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Leatt is a great product, with all parts replaceable. However, I am more concerned with spinal protection then with collar bones, although just as important to protect. EVS makes a great spinal protector, and, made in different configurations.
I use Thor Armor as followed with the link for both off road and street, works well even with a jacket if it's not too tight, this is an awesome product ventilated well, Plus I love the back protector and the single plate (not split) chest protector. The brace can land right on the back protector and you completely covered.

Amazon.com: Thor MX Impact Rig SE Adult Roost Deflector Motocross Motorcycle Body Armor - Black / Small/Medium: Automotive Amazon.com: Thor MX Impact Rig SE Adult Roost Deflector Motocross Motorcycle Body Armor - Black / Small/Medium: Automotive

Last edited by NHSH; 08-02-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Knox is also a great product. Links to the two, EVS and Knox

EVS Sports

Knox - upper body protection for back, chest, shoulders and arms
Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Superstock

Doing some further reading and research regarding neck braces. Here is a good follow up article from Dirt rider regarding the validity and effectiveness of neck braces. Granted, they are referring to dirt but the application to street lies in the same vain.
The MD's feel that the data at this point is inconclusive. It's interesting to read the take from the Manufacturers perspective, (Atlas & Leatt).
It seems like sound technology, spreading the load of impact over a larger area and limiting maximum angles of the spine. I am looking for better protection, if it makes sense. My guess is that in order for the masses of street riders to make an investment in such a safety device, the effectiveness will need to equal the jump from leather head gear to full face helmet technology. But that is for each individual to decide, myself included.

The Neck Brace Web Component - Dirt Rider Magazine
Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Superstock

If that's what your looking for, look into the airbag system.