Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Looking for a new Helmet...suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
RE: Has anyone tried the GMAX GM68?
I tried it but sent it back. The padding was a bit thin but as expected for the price. The visor was incredibly clear and w/o distortion.

I use a Scorpion EXO-400 now and its very comfortable. Shield is good and pretty easy to replace. Venting and chin strap were better than most of the others. Seem to remember paying about $150 last year.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i have always had arais. quantums. then rx7rr3. last summer i retired the rx7rr3 and tried a $130 gmax, model 68 i think. i like it better than the rx7rr3. crazy and the best helmet value i've ever seen.

check the reviews on
www.webbikeworld.com
Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Iron Rocket
Squid

Twin Kat is on a distinguished road
Well after much searching online and checking out reviews and suggestions. Went to the local dealer and tried on a TON of helmets. This is gonna be my new lid..........Scorpion ExO-700

Fit is Great!!!!! Feels soooooo light. Visor is so easy to change out. So in a couple of weeks it will be mine.

Last edited by Twin Kat; 03-22-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Iron Rocket
Squid

The GF also found a new helmet that she is going to get......

We also found a jacket that matches the helmet for her. So this is really getting her into motorcycles........FINALLY. LOL
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Nice, good choice IMHO, I love my scorpion, it is so comfortable and quiet. Of course head sizes and shapes vary, so it may not fit as well for you.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
hahahaha my gf has always liked bikes but she's getting more into it thanks to getting a helmet and jacket! it makes them feel like they're more a part of it, they own a piece of the biking hobby. and she likes the pink too!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Twin Kat
Well after much searching online and checking out reviews and suggestions. Went to the local dealer and tried on a TON of helmets. This is gonna be my new lid..........Scorpion ExO-700

Fit is Great!!!!! Feels soooooo light. Visor is so easy to change out. So in a couple of weeks it will be mine.
Good choice ! I have a EXO-700 and the 1000 . Guess which one I wear the most ?....(the 700), its just so damn comfortable & feels much lighter than the 1000 . You wont be disappointed with it
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

When i was at the dealer, the salesperson had me try on the EXO 700 and the 1000. The first thing he said was notice the weight difference. The 700 is much lighter. The only difference between the 400 and 700 is the venting. The venting on the 700 is supposed to be really good. Thats why i choose the 700.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Squid

Tamworthtt is on a distinguished road
In the uk the most popular helmets tend to be Arai or Shoei,these seem to be very expensive approx £300.My last three Helmets have been 2 KBC Vr1x and a BMW sport integral.They all weight around 1.5kg and comfort and wind noise are good with the BMW being slightly quieter.
HJC in the Uk have a bit of a "Budget" Image but never had one so can't say if its a fair judgment.
TT
Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
When i was at the dealer, the salesperson had me try on the EXO 700 and the 1000. The first thing he said was notice the weight difference. The 700 is much lighter. The only difference between the 400 and 700 is the venting. The venting on the 700 is supposed to be really good. Thats why i choose the 700.
Yep , the 1000 is a little on the heavy side with all the gadgets . But it seals up nicely when pumped up . I use it as my winter helmet . The 700 is a better all around helmet in more areas .
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
What's the price on the 700?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

The cheapest ive found them online is around $209 to $249. That depends on the graphics and finish. I can get it at the dealer for a little over $200 since i do alot of shopping there. Here is a link for STG and their prices on them. They have an nice little write up and video about them.http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead...00helmets.html

Last edited by Twin Kat; 03-23-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't take this the wrong way and I' not trying to be a know it all but if that's what he told you he doesn't know much about what he's selling. The 400 is a polycarbonate shell (plastic alloy) and the 700 is a carbon fiber, kevlar and fiberglass weave not to mention it has a different shape but no matter still a good helmet.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I've got a Scorpion EXO 400 size Large and love the way it fits my oval shaped head. It vents good for me and never fogs. It's a bit on the loud side for wind noise. But as stated earlier most new helmets with "wings" and things are LOUD.

Last edited by Moto Man; 03-25-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
Currently have a Reed Rep Arai......black/white...classic with a black bike. Got it on close out in 2002 for $250.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRFISH
Currently have a Reed Rep Arai......black/white...classic with a black bike. Got it on close out in 2002 for $250.
a 7 yr old helmet is technically "over the hill"
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I have still enjoyed my Blutek helmet which has integrated bluetooth. Works like a champ!

Pics http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...utek%20helmet/
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
hey Twin Kat, looks like we're gonna have matching girlfriends! my lady saw what you posted and that's what she wants. lol.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Squid

Phaedrus is on a distinguished road
I made my helmet choice based on a little different criteria - color. I didn't care what it cost or what the brand name was. I just wanted one to match my Italian Red Superhawk so I purchased a Shoei RF-1000, Monza Red with a dark smoked visor to match the dark smoked wind screen. Oh man, nearly a perfect match
Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
I made my helmet choice based on a little different criteria - color. I didn't care what it cost or what the brand name was. I just wanted one to match my Italian Red Superhawk so I purchased a Shoei RF-1000, Monza Red with a dark smoked visor to match the dark smoked wind screen. Oh man, nearly a perfect match
I didn't plan it, but it worked out that way for me. Got a Nolan X-lite 901, list price $450, my closeout price $90, a perfect match for my bike's Tahitian "chick magnet" blue. Besides the color, it's a world class helmet.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
Talking

Originally Posted by skokievtr
a 7 yr old helmet is technically "over the hill"
Hmmmmmmm? I guess my 10 year old Levis are antiques then? I'll sell the lot to ya for.....let's say........5 TRILLION BILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
once u go shoei you'll never go back, every other helmet fits weird and too heavy i had an AC-11, AC-12 is way to heavy, i sale helmets for a living ha icon's suck
Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by COLE
once u go shoei you'll never go back, every other helmet fits weird and too heavy i had an AC-11, AC-12 is way to heavy, i sale helmets for a living ha icon's suck
Old 04-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Icon is manufactured by HJC.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
chopped and screwed
Squid

fighter hawk is on a distinguished road
I just want to put in my 2 cents, you only have one head and it needs to have as much protection as possible, I put my bike down at 85 mph 2 days ago and landed on my head the helmet is not pretty but i walked away from the crash with a concussion, a broken toe and road rash on every joint of the lower half of my body, (ankles, knees, and hips) put as much money into your helmet as you can, its not worth saving a hundred bucks on a cheap helmet pick a helmet that has been around a while and has a proven high speed impact rating. my Shoei saved my life dont make the mistake of buying a helmet that may not do the same.

Name:  IMG00047-20090408-2115.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG00044-20090408-2113.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  48.4 KB

please do what you can to protect the most important part of what make you, you!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
+1 but a $150 thermoplastic shell that meets DOT can actually absorb more G force than a $450 GRP/Kevlar/Carbon Snell lid which really only resists spike penetration better. Also, you should get yourself some decent pants and boots, if not also a new jacket or suit. Several boots are designed to protect your toes, ankles, shins, etc http://www.tcxboots.com/usa/, and any well designed MC pant is way better than jeans.

I wear full gear EVERY time I ride no matter what.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fighter hawk
I just want to put in my 2 cents, you only have one head and it needs to have as much protection as possible, I put my bike down at 85 mph 2 days ago and landed on my head the helmet is not pretty but i walked away from the crash with a concussion, a broken toe and road rash on every joint of the lower half of my body, (ankles, knees, and hips) put as much money into your helmet as you can, its not worth saving a hundred bucks on a cheap helmet pick a helmet that has been around a while and has a proven high speed impact rating. my Shoei saved my life dont make the mistake of buying a helmet that may not do the same.

please do what you can to protect the most important part of what make you, you!!!
Most tests have shown cheaper helmets to protect better than more expensive ones.. It really is ALL about comfort, and wearing it EVERY time.. because the helmet you are wearing will protect you better than the one you don't because of not being comfortable.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Thank God your OK!!!! where did this happen? what happened? hows your bike?? Oh, and sorry I didn't swing by last month! I totally forgot!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fighter hawk

Glad you came out as well as you did.

Here's my thinking about helmets;

ANY helmet is orders of magnitude better than no helmet.

The world's cheapest full face is better than the world's finest open face.

Once you've decided on a full face, price has almost nothing to do with the level of protection you are buying.

After reading everything from Harry Hurt and Dexter Ford's "Blowing The Lid Off" in Motorcyclist, I believe the DOT and Euro standard helmets are better than the Snell helmets.

The helmet which fared best in the Motorcyclist test cost a hundred bucks at the time.

What you get in a $450-$750 helmet is comfort, features, convenience and style (and help pay for the advertising).

If you've got your heart set on a $600 helmet and have the bucks, go for it.

Just know that you can get the same level of protection for $100-$150 dollars.

Last edited by RK1; 04-11-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Glad you came out as well as you did.

Here's my thinking about helmets;

ANY helmet is orders of magnitude better than no helmet.

The world's cheapest full face is better than the world's finest open face.

Once you've decided on a full face, price has almost nothing to do with the level of protection you are buying.

After reading everything from Harry Hurt and Dexter Ford's "Blowing The Lid Off" in Motorcyclist, I believe the DOT and Euro standard helmets are better than the Snell helmets.

The helmet which fared best in the Motorcyclist test cost a hundred bucks at the time.

What you get in a $450-$750 helmet is comfort, features, convenience and style (and help pay for the advertising).

If you've got your heart set on a $600 helmet and have the bucks, go for it.

Just know that you can get the same level of protection for $100-$150 dollars.
+1...

it's going to be interesting to see how the 2010 Snell standards match up with Euro ones...

Quick Reply: Looking for a new Helmet...suggestions??