Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Keeping cool in the Dog Days of summer

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Keeping cool in the Dog Days of summer

IMO, mesh gear is the best motorcycle safety development in the last 10 years.

You didn't mention another GREAT item for riding in the heat or long periods of time and that's a personal hydration system (commonly referred to as a camelback). If you're having to pull over due to thirst, it's all ready too late to prevent the onset of dehydration. Being able to sip on cold water or sports drink whenever you can (like on the straights) is soooo cool (bad pun intended). I find I'm in better shape at the end of the day than others who don't use them.

Another benefit: Since you don't gulp down a bunch of liquid at a stop thus flooding your internal system and overloading your kidneys which then dump what they can't handle to the bladder, you won't have to urinate so often.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i really need to get both of those.... the long trips between phoenix and tucson are getting to me... it's also be exceptionally hot this year.... i think we've had over 30 days straight of 100+ degree temps. yuck!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 AM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Anyone ever try these for riding. I was thinking of getting the Crusader shirt and the Armor pants with tail support.
Looks like some killer good stuff.. Light and effective.
http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/products.php?id=18
Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own Fieldsheer sonic air jacket and mach II pants, both of them are leather and mesh combo. They have leather in the high impact areas, (shoulders, back, elbows, knees, hips and seat) The rest is nylon and titanium mesh threads. They also have armour in all the high impact areas.
They really make it feel like your riding with whatever you wear under them. but you have the extra protection of the leather.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Back Marker

VTRFISH

For me it was to get a good tank bag. It holds bottled water very nice. I freeze'm and have ice water all day! 8)

Hydration is the key!....but you all know that.....

Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
MotoGP

They're a little limited on size they have 30,32,40,42,44. killer protection with lots of air flow. Also check the mach II jacket for leather and mesh.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

Sorry the last post didn't go through. www.brocktoncycle.com then fieldsheer link they have the mach II leather and mesh pants for $99 I paid $159 just about 6 months ago.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Squid

NYSuperHawk

Or if you're broke like me...Just wet your t-shirt and put on the mesh jacket. I find that soaking a light-weight white cotton t-shift (like hanes undershirt) and lightly wrapping it around my neck, then zipping the jacket all the way up really works wonders.

Thanks for all the good info above!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I'd like to revisit this thread. Wondering if any new inputs/advice to riding in high temp. 100+. Living in south Texas, it does get a might warm. My 2 cts. I use a hydration system, (camelback). Another trick I've learned, when stopped drinking a cool bottle of H2O, save some to soak the inside of helmet. Air coming thru vents cools the water.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
I use cool packs inside my jacket pockets.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:33 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by MOONSTER
Hey guys, I'd like to revisit this thread. Wondering if any new inputs/advice to riding in high temp. 100+. Living in south Texas, it does get a might warm. My 2 cts. I use a hydration system, (camelback). Another trick I've learned, when stopped drinking a cool bottle of H2O, save some to soak the inside of helmet. Air coming thru vents cools the water.
Wear a Speedo?

I tried using a Camelback a few years ago but I thought that it in itself was hot to wear. I was riding cross country and I was down in your neck of the woods, taking ATGATT seriously. Even with mesh gear I was sweaty as hell. If I were to do it again I'd give myself some leeway.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Here in Phx what I do is soak my T-Shirt with water and wear that under my Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 jacket. That will keep me cool till Wickenberg and from there I will be fine up into the mountains. Then for the ride home, I stop in Wickenberg again and resoak my shirt so as to make it home.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i cant imagine soaking a t shirt and wearing it under the jacket would be overly comfortable. probably similar to riding in wet pants. i hate putting on a jacket when my t shirts damp from sweat. all the power to the guys who do. we had a couple of real hot days and we just took regular breaks from riding to hydrate. i think our summer is about finish but for next year ill wear my camal back. forgot i had it. beats having to lift the seat everytime i want a bottle of water.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
beats having to lift the seat everytime i want a bottle of water.

small magnetic tankbag works for me...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bolalype73
i want a new helmet...i like the shark eagle or the suomy eagle. but i already have 2 HJCs...does anyone else like to buy lots of helmets to actually wear them, not just collectors items?
i bought 2 last year, i plan on buying another at a sale for a big store i visit every now and then in april.

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
small magnetic tankbag works for me...
that works good too. although now from the looks of it with the one piece gixxer tail i wont have the underseat storage option available to me so ill have to either use a small tank bag or make sure i bring my pack with me. and i managed to get a mesh jacket from a buddy for free so i welcome the hottest of hot days
Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
no shirt cargo shorts and flipflops work well for me

KIDDING