Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

DREAM helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
DREAM helmet

hey guys just wondering, what is your DREAM helmet, in the realm of sanity for price (no diamond studded stuff )

im in a slight competition with my father and if i win i get ANY helmet i would like so im getting ideas
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Arai Corsair V if it fits your head.....

My last Corsair RX7 saved me big time...... best hat I've ever crashed in....

DREAM helmet-006.jpg

DREAM helmet-007.jpg
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I like my scorpion, It was the most comfortable I have tried on so far.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

whozit is on a distinguished road
My opinion is to try on some quality helmets since they all fit a little different. I've bought an Arai Quantum 2 that I'm very happy with. The Shark RSR2 was really nice too but if money was no object I would've bought the AGV Rossi. (.02 cents paid)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I've owned 4 Arai's, the latest being a Corsair RX7 Sete Giberneau racer replica, which I still wear occasionally. I think my RX7 Giberneau is the best looking helmet I've ever owned (I've had 2 previous Arai racer replicas, Wes Cooley and Mike Baldwin), but I hate Arai's current face shield system. By the way, my Mike Baldwin saved my face in a crash over 20 years ago.

Last year I bought a Shoei X12, and I love it. Great fit, good looks, good ventilation, and in my opinion, the best face shield system going.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I've owned 4 Arai's, the latest being a Corsair RX7 Sete Giberneau racer replica, which I still wear occasionally. I think my RX7 Giberneau is the best looking helmet I've ever owned (I've had 2 previous Arai racer replicas, Wes Cooley and Mike Baldwin), but I hate Arai's current face shield system. By the way, my Mike Baldwin saved my face in a crash over 20 years ago.

Last year I bought a Shoei X12, and I love it. Great fit, good looks, good ventilation, and in my opinion, the best face shield system going.

thanks all for the info, i really want to go and try on the higher end helmets on, i have a afx now... does the job but isnt pretty and is LOUD on the highway, i am definitely looking for good ventilation and an easy face shield replacement system??? anything like that out?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have no complaints with my Shoei, my Icon Domain II isn't bad either but the shield replacement is more difficult on it.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Bearshawk
i am definitely looking for good ventilation and an easy face shield replacement system??? anything like that out?
Like I said, I think the Shoei's have the best face shield system going. Replacement is super easy, with no danger of breaking anything.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
I like any helmet that fits well, is relatively light weight, and has a flip-down sun shield (like a fighter pilot helmet). I know none of the really high-end helmets have this, but this feature is extremely useful when you're riding in the sun and then have to enter a tunnel.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Like I said, I think the Shoei's have the best face shield system going. Replacement is super easy, with no danger of breaking anything.
Definitely agree!! I love my Shoei and how much airflow i get through the top vents and bottom vents.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have a Shoei that I'm really happy with, the US version of it is named RF-1100...

Not only easy to replace the faceshield, with no chance of breaking anything... The faceshield is selfcorrecting, ie it has a springloaded sealing, so you basically can't mess up the adjustment to the point where it doesn't seal at highway speeds... It's easier to use if you adjust it properly, but even badly adjusted, it works...

Plus, it's dang near silent compared to many others I have tried... And the cooling is excellent, the wents allow enough airflow that it's actually possible to get it too cool in the summers here...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Well here's another take on a "dream" helmet-this is Anthony Gobert's Suomy that he was wearing when he crashed at Daytona in the 600 race in '02. One of those impulse buys and I had to have it! I know it's not the point of the thread but it's cooler than the rest of my helmets. Hope you guys like it. For my own personal helmets I've owned several AGV's and liked them alot. I've worn a few Arai's though and I don't think they get much nicer than that.
Attached Thumbnails DREAM helmet-goberthelmet.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-04-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
akuma phantom helmet, extremely light, carbon fiber, transitional shieled, and their new shields have a button to tint them. i bought one, it didnt fit, went through hell to get a refund, but eventually i did. but if it fit my head it would have been my perfect helmet
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
When it comes to shield replacement it's hard to beat the Bell Star lineup- I've got two of 'em. Bell, like Akuma, now also offers the SOL Transitions auto tinting shield recently reviewed at 'motorcycledaily.com'. The Shark RSR 2 is another offering with great build quality and a pretty simple shield removal system. The RSR 2 seems to be a very substantial helmet from the 3mm thick shield to the shell and padding. Bought three of these(Fujiwara rep, Foggy Tribute, and Black Carbon). Also have three Arai RX7-RR's- Chandler rep, Edwards rep, and a KRJR rep. Build quality and fit are excellent but you rarely find top of the line Arais at anywhere near the pricing of the Bells or Sharks.The Akuma Phantom has excellent carbon fiber and the SOL Transitions shield works as advertised. It's a bit short front to back so I can extend my jaw and contact the chin bar, something I'm unable to do on any of my other helmets. All are nicely built, well detailed, and comfortable. But if I KNEW I was going to have an accident I'd choose one of my Shark RSR 2's- they just inspire confidence.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned
MotoGP

All I can say about shield replacement is that with Arai, once you know how to do it, it is a simple and quick operation with no chance of breaking anything.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Top of the line Shoei or Arai(depending on the shape of your melon). My old X-11 was the most comfortable, noise free and lightweight helmet I've ever owned. I since had to downgrade to an RF-1000 due to lower cost but if money is no object I'd get an X-12 in a heartbeat. I need to get a Snell 2010 one for racing this season and am torn between the X-12 and the RF-1100 which is still a pretty sweet lid. Common sense says RF, but head wants X-12. Good luck on your test of skill, whatever it is. if you win, I doubt you can go wrong with any of the suggestions listed above.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Well here's another take on a "dream" helmet-this is Anthony Gobert's Suomy that he was wearing when he crashed at Daytona in the 600 race in '02. One of those impulse buys and I had to have it! I know it's not the point of the thread but it's cooler than the rest of my helmets. Hope you guys like it. For my own personal helmets I've owned several AGV's and liked them alot. I've worn a few Arai's though and I don't think they get much nicer than that.

that thing is beautiful man!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Originally Posted by JDRiderCoach
Top of the line Shoei or Arai(depending on the shape of your melon). My old X-11 was the most comfortable, noise free and lightweight helmet I've ever owned. I since had to downgrade to an RF-1000 due to lower cost but if money is no object I'd get an X-12 in a heartbeat. I need to get a Snell 2010 one for racing this season and am torn between the X-12 and the RF-1100 which is still a pretty sweet lid. Common sense says RF, but head wants X-12. Good luck on your test of skill, whatever it is. if you win, I doubt you can go wrong with any of the suggestions listed above.
well thanks a ton for all of the suggestions guys! looks like im gonna go try on some suomys, aria, shoei and top of the line bells? we will see what one fits me best

as for the "competition" its basically an incentive to try and beat my younger (far smarter) sister in GPA this semester at college, she goes to the same school i do so it will be interesting

my family has NEVER done incentives for anything like grades so this is kind of rare and im TRYING to take advantage
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by justinity
What an *** hat......
Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Recently I found a Valentino Rossi signature AGV X-R2 on good ole craigslist for $200. It's a well made helmet is very comfortable, very stable at higher speeds and less noise than my HJC CL-16. The guy was a big Valentino Rossi nut and collected all of his signature helmets, he was selling them to fund a trip to see the MotoGP race in the US this year.

I'm not a Rossi nut or anything, but it was a steal at $200, and I was looking for something more aerodynamic than my HJC for trackdays. I like the design too.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
nicky haden's arai corsair V
Attached Thumbnails DREAM helmet-arai-nickyhayden.jpg  
Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
All I can say about shield replacement is that with Arai, once you know how to do it, it is a simple and quick operation with no chance of breaking anything.
Well I do consider myself to have good mechanical aptitude, having been a tune-up mechanic in the '70s and a vocational automotives instructor for 34 years, but I've broken 3 side covers, 2 on my Corsair and 1 on my wife's Astral. She now uses an RF-1000, and I still wear my RX-7 Corsair on occasion, but mostly I wear my Shoei X-12.

One was broken changing the shield, the other 2 while cleaning inside of the shield. It was always the tiny tab on the top of the inside of the side cover.

A lifelong friend of mine who used to sell Arai to dealers said he knows a guy who can change his Arai shield at a red light. I just never got it, I guess.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well I do consider myself to have good mechanical aptitude, having been a tune-up mechanic in the '70s and a vocational automotives instructor for 34 years, but I've broken 3 side covers, 2 on my Corsair and 1 on my wife's Astral. She now uses an RF-1000, and I still wear my RX-7 Corsair on occasion, but mostly I wear my Shoei X-12.

One was broken changing the shield, the other 2 while cleaning inside of the shield. It was always the tiny tab on the top of the inside of the side cover.

A lifelong friend of mine who used to sell Arai to dealers said he knows a guy who can change his Arai shield at a red light. I just never got it, I guess.
I hear ya and I was in that club myself and then one day...... don't know how the hell it happened but I got the "touch" and can pop them in and out no sweat.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

I keep a clear shield on my Arai all the time now, and I wear wrap around sunglasses.

And I clean the inside of the shield very carefully.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Squid

flyinbrian24 is on a distinguished road
I have a Shoei RF 1100 I like very much. i was a diehard Bell wearer. I have been considering the HJC RPS-10. In the showroom it is very light and comfortable.I have a small oval head. but time will tell as to how well the HJC works on the road
Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by justinity
So once you take your helmet off, is that pulling your head out of your ***?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Squid

Valeroen is on a distinguished road
This is my helmet. I like this very much!
this helmet is tight around your head and is very comfortable!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I currently wear a Shoei RF-1000, will replace it next year.

My dream helmet is this:

Shoei X-12 Glory 2 TC-2

YES! I like the flag covered helmets.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my RF1100. I think I would have to go with the new Quest that Shoei has.

Quick Reply: DREAM helmet