RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

supply and demand bullshit!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
supply and demand bullshit!

Here in west Tn the price of gas went up 16 cents on thrusday jus because of the ****** holiday. The sad thing is the price of oil went down by dollars........ Supply and demand is what the news said is the contributing factor. Thats bullshit! Its Greed!!! Greed is whats driving the price at the pump up, jus like the enron bastards. Today on my way to work it is 2 cents higher than yesterday. $3.59 per gallon, and thats the cheap ****..... arrrggggghhhhh. (ok rant is over , for now)
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
agree. the same gas in the large storage tank at the station all week and the price can change by 25 cents.

it is greed - unfortunatly a substantial part of the price increase is investing and speculation on future gas prices - I've read estimates that that is as much as 25% of the cost of a gallon of gas. a lot of those investments are probably held by many in mutual fund accounts/retirement accounts etc - our own greed? or just an interpretation of capitalism run amuck?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I heard on the Clinton News Network that it went up because of the refineries having to close for Gustav. said it could go up to 20 cents.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I laugh in disgust when I hear morons state that the price of gas has anything to do with supply and demand or that the oil and gas market has some relation to a free market. It makes no sense to talk about free markets and supply and demand when discussing a substance where supply is artificially controlled by cartels, corporations and governments, is overregulated by governments and where such a large percentage of the consumer price is taxes.
It's another scam foisted on a dumbed down public, much like the traffic ticket industry mentioned the other day (and about a zillion other things I can think of).
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by killer5280
I laugh in disgust when I hear morons state that the price of gas has anything to do with supply and demand or that the oil and gas market has some relation to a free market. It makes no sense to talk about free markets and supply and demand when discussing a substance where supply is artificially controlled by cartels, corporations and governments, is overregulated by governments and where such a large percentage of the consumer price is taxes.
It's another scam foisted on a dumbed down public, much like the traffic ticket industry mentioned the other day (and about a zillion other things I can think of).
well, clearly for this good, price hasn't influenced demand (yet) and demand doesn't influence price. you could argue the why's for a long time. Personally I think its a scam aimed to leverage government and public opinions to open up additional in-country drilling options and ease restrictions.......................
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

For all the talk about increasing domestic oil production and for all the good sense it makes, it won't happen until the oil companies and the government want it to happen. They're the reason we went away from domestic production in the first place. Public pressure has historically and will in the future have no effect on this policy unless people wake up from their stupor and demand that we get out of other countries and use what we have here.
I can't think of one good reason that we should be dependent on foreign oil, and all the problems that creates, instead of using what we have. What is good about stifling domestic production, therby artificially controlling supply, and instead creating the fucked up policies we have now?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM
SuperBike

I agree completely about being reliant on 'someone else's' oil. I'm frustrated that we are having the same issues we had when I was 12 and the first 'crisis' occured, in fact we utilized more domestic oil as a percentage then than now. At some point, no matter how blind people want to be to it, its limited. The work-productivity per barrell of crude is huge - its accounted for most of what the 'developed' world and eras have produced - good and bad. When it gets really limited (and I don't pretend to know when that will be 20, 50, 75 years) we will have real problems. Why we aren't encouraging research to move beyond oil-based production is simply ignorance, lack of leadership and passing the problem on.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
um don't forget greed...LOL>..

$3.59 **** man, I'll take that right now compared to the $3.89 I just paid for regular...

Another reason I don't drive the car as much as I used to...I ride most places..so **** um, if ya want something to change, get more people on board with using less gas...Don't think it aint Demand that drives the price on up...If the demand wasn't there, then the price would come back down until it was again...
Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Every time you buy gas, state and federal government collects about three times as much in taxes as "Big Oil" makes in profit.

I laugh out loud when people want government to investigate the greed of oil companies.

Like demanding the Mafia investigate book making and loan sharking.

Last edited by RK1; 09-02-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Name:  d9125.gif
Views: 154
Size:  6.8 KB
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
Every time you buy gas, state and federal government collects about three times as much in taxes as "Big Oil" makes in profit.

I laugh out loud when people want government to investigate the greed of oil companies.

Like demanding the Mafia investigate book making and loan sharking.
In most areas, the government has supplanted the Mafia. I can't think of a more obvious example than the lottery scam (yes, another scam brought to you by your government), where the government put the mob out of business so the government could take over the the numbers racket and the lottery and soak the morons (I love that word) who engage in those loser's bets instead of letting the mob get the money. They color it in grandiose terms of benevolence (government school scholarships, as if that's a good thing), but the lottery is a sucker's bet and, at the end of the day, is just another tax.
Why should the government have a monopoly on the lottery scam? Why should you or I or the mob not be allowed to play? How crazy is it that the government spends millions of our dollars advertising the lottery to induce us to go out and play and give even more money to government? It's absolutely ludicrous!
(I need to start a new thread ranting about everything that's a scam.)
Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
SuperBike

just 'don't belittle powerball'
Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
SuperBike

Thanks for reminding me to go out and buy a ticket.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Well Boys there is a lot of misinformation swirling around this topic.
Drilling is not going to lower the price or solve the problem, anyone who says it will is either misinformed or has an ulterior motive. Taxes are a problem but if government spends money they do not have then taxes are not only necessary, they must increase. Sadly almost all government , Local, State and most of all Federal are in deficit spending modes that are amassing vast debts and deficit spending is just a deferred tax increase waiting to happen. I was 22 years old during the oil crisis of 1973 and it was and remains the worse economic times I have seen. What I still cannot get my arms around is the fact that we as a Nation have done so little to deal with that 35 year old problem! No one can say when oil supply will fall below demand but most so called experts think it will be around 2015 to 2030 and when that tipping point occurs, price will only climb faster. Long term there really is a supply and demand dynamic in force which is not to say the points raised here are without merit. Government subsidies being paid to big oil at the same time they are making historically high corporate profits, needs to be stopped. Things are going to get worse before they get better, way worse; that may be required to get our Country on the right track since as we have seen the ’73 oil crisis didn’t do it, not even close, and it was pretty bad. JIM

Last edited by Jim TT; 09-02-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
SuperBike

Nothing has been done about deficit spending because we have a debt based monetary system, run by private bankers and their cronies in government. Deficit and debt based government spending are a boon to both government and to our corporate/banking establishment, therefore, politicians and bankers will never "solve" the problem as long as the scam (yes, another scam) works and 99.99% of the people have no idea of the root causes. The current system was designed to centralize wealth and control in the hands of a few and so far it has worked like a charm.
Governments borrow money from the privately held and controlled Federal Reserve System which prints the money out of thin air and makes bookkeeping entries showing that the government owes them principal and interest. Of course, the taxpayers of this country are stuck with the debt, which is why the 16th amendment (which was never properly ratified, by the way), which created the IRS and began the illegal taxation of income, was implemented at the same time the Federal Reserve System was created. Both are unconstitutional scams.
Governments should never be allowed to spend money they don't have, and should never be allowed to borrow money from private banking monopolies when the Treasury could just as easily print currency itself without debt, just as the founders of this country intended and the Constitution requires.

Saying that taking control of the natural resources of this country from oil companies and government, really deregulating oil and gas, and opening up the supply of said resources to real market forces instead of the constrained forces currently at work would have no effect on the price of gas is just plain ignorant of the forces of supply and demand.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Killer 528, I agree with much of what you are saying but the numbers do not support what you are saying in paragraph two. JIM
Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jim TT
Taxes are a problem but if government spends money they do not have then taxes are not only necessary, they must increase. Sadly almost all government , Local, State and most of all Federal are in deficit spending modes that are amassing vast debts and deficit spending is just a deferred tax increase waiting to happen.
I agree that the government spending wildly is a bad idea all around. I think you are off track on the solution though.

First thing is to curb the spending, obviously. Taxes must then be lowered, not raised. It has been proven time and again that lowering taxes increases revenue for the government. There is a boat load of research to back this up. Reagan did it in 81, 82, and 83 and it caused the biggest economic boom in American history.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb_1107_49.pdf
This talks about the corporate part, but there is evidence elsewhere that individual tax cuts work too.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Drew, not withstanding the fact that I have a degree in economics and have won the Quarterly Club’s ‘Economic Forecaster of the Year’ award four of the last six years, I assure you I do understand the laws of supply and demand and Fiscal and Monetary policy, I may not understand your view of same but that does not mean I do not understand the principles. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts, you are reciting dogma. PS: Cato is wrong: I have studied them for many years .JIM

Last edited by Jim TT; 09-02-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
SuperBike

So then your solution would be to further burden the American public to the point where tax revenue vanishes and the economy collapses?

I also believe that everyone is entitled to an opinion, degree or not. But don't try and negate my evidence without a shred of your own.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Drew the ecnonomy is near collapse now and this is after major tax cuts. Look I don't mean to attack you personally and I am sorry if you took it that way. I suggest you study the Cato institute more; the are anything but objective....JIM
Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
SuperBike

I will concede the lack of objectivity. However I just can't wrap my head around the concept of raising taxes on anything, for any reason. There is always a better solution, my personal opinion is that we should all consider the "Fair Tax". Once again, not from an unbiased source, but a good idea none the less.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Hey Man I am all for Fair, the problem is agreeing on what that means.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Jim TT
Well Boys there is a lot of misinformation swirling around this topic.
Drilling is not going to lower the price or solve the problem, anyone who says it will is either misinformed or has an ulterior motive. Taxes are a problem but if government spends money they do not have then taxes are not only necessary, they must increase. Sadly almost all government , Local, State and most of all Federal are in deficit spending modes that are amassing vast debts and deficit spending is just a deferred tax increase waiting to happen. I was 22 years old during the oil crisis of 1973 and it was and remains the worse economic times I have seen. What I still cannot get my arms around is the fact that we as a Nation have done so little to deal with that 35 year old problem! No one can say when oil supply will fall below demand but most so called experts think it will be around 2015 to 2030 and when that tipping point occurs, price will only climb faster. Long term there really is a supply and demand dynamic in force which is not to say the points raised here are without merit. Government subsidies being paid to big oil at the same time they are making historically high corporate profits, needs to be stopped. Things are going to get worse before they get better, way worse; that may be required to get our Country on the right track since as we have seen the ’73 oil crisis didn’t do it, not even close, and it was pretty bad. JIM
well, said. its longstanding unwillingness to deal with some very real problems that have gotten us here: and while its human nature, planning for those long term problems is one job of government: to provide the long range visions and goals.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
SuperBike

lol, true enough...
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by drew_c14
I agree that the government spending wildly is a bad idea all around. I think you are off track on the solution though.

First thing is to curb the spending, obviously. Taxes must then be lowered, not raised. It has been proven time and again that lowering taxes increases revenue for the government. There is a boat load of research to back this up. Reagan did it in 81, 82, and 83 and it caused the biggest economic boom in American history.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb_1107_49.pdf
This talks about the corporate part, but there is evidence elsewhere that individual tax cuts work too.
I would have said the reagan years experience was exactly what disproved these ideas.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cliby
I would have said the reagan years experience was exactly what disproved these ideas.
I hear that all the time, guess it just depends on ones viewpoint. I was far to young to know first hand, can only go on what I've read and seen.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

I think 95% of all of this is theory and the results can by spun into all kinds of directions. scientifically, I think its (oil,,,,, and lotto dollars) a limited resource in the long run and we are using it fat dumb and happy with not much concern for what next.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM
SuperBike

Government is the source of all of our problems. Whatever problems government is charged with solving always get worse and always require more and more resources being thrown at them, regardless of which branch of the Imperial party, the Republicans or the Democrats, is in power. This includes the phony War on Drugs, the War on Terror, the War on Poverty, public education, public welfare, etc. Providing government with more money, whether or not one believes that cutting the tax rate and increasing tax revenue to the government is a good idea, is exactly the wrong thing to do. Making government smaller, less powerful, less regulatory, less intrusive, etc., by radically defunding it is the only solution to our economic problems. Our government should be several orders of magnitude smaller than it is now.
The debt, which is owed to the Federal Reserve and has been pawned off on the rest of the world, should be repudiated because it is owed to criminals and has been created by fraud; the Federal Reserve and other central banks of the world are nothing more than criminal enterprises who have set themselves up with monopolies on the issuance of credit for their respective countries. The Federal Reserve Act should be repealed and its board of directors, chairmen and former chairmen should be investigated and tried (and convicted) for crimes against this country and its people.
The issuance of credit and currency should be restored to the Treasury and should be issued free of debt. Of course, all this is unlikely to happen and this country will continue down the same path to debt and destruction that it has been on for the past century or so, with boom and bust cycles artificially created by the Wall Street and Fed money boys, and with the end result being the complete meltdown of our economy and nearly all wealth concentrated in the hands of a few banks and corporations.

On February 9, 1935, this appeared in the Saturday Evening Post:
  1. "I do not feel it is any exaggeration to speak of our secret expedition to Jekyll Island as the occasion of the actual conception of what eventually became the Federal Reserve System. We were told to leave our last names behind us. We were told further that we should avoid dining together on the night of our departure.
  1. "We were instructed to come one at a time and as unobtrusively as possible to the railroad terminal on the New Jersey littoral of the Hudson where Senator Aldrich's private car would be in readiness attached to the rear-end of a train to the south. Once aboard the private car we began to observe the taboo that had been fixed on last names. We addressed one another as Ben, Paul, Nelson and Abe. Davison and I adopted even deeper disguises abandoning our first names.
  1. "On the theory that we were always right, he became Wilbur and I became Orville after those two aviation pioneers the Wright brothers. The servants and train crew may have known the identities of one or two of us, but they did not know all and it was the names of all printed together that would've made our mysterious journey significant in Washington, in Wall Street, even in London. Discovery we knew simply must not happen."
Frank Vanderlip, President of the National City Bank of New York

1. “The Federal Reserve banks are one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever seen. There is not a man within the sound of my voice who does not know that this nation is run by the International bankers.”
    - Congressman Louis T. McFadden (speaking in the Senate)
  1. "By remaining behind the scenes, they (the Rothschilds) were able to avoid the brunt of public anger which was directed, instead, at the political figures which they largely controlled. This is a technique which has been practiced by financial manipulators ever since, and it is fully utilized by those who operate the Federal Reserve System today."
    - G. Edward Griffin
  1. "This [Federal Reserve Act] establishes the most gigantic trust on earth. When the President [Wilson} signs this bill, the invisible government of the monetary power will be legalized....the worst legislative crime of the ages is perpetrated by this banking and currency bill."
    - Charles A. Lindbergh, Sr. , 1913
  1. “The dollar represents a one dollar debt to the Federal Reserve System. The Federal Reserve Banks create money out of thin air to buy Government Bonds from the U.S. Treasury...[thus creating] out of nothing a...debt which the American people are obliged to pay with interest.”
    - Congressman Wright Patman
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.Thomas Jefferson, Letter to the Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin (1802)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
http://www.fdrs.org/financial_slaves.html
http://www.themoneymasters.com/

Last edited by killer5280; 09-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Killer - I have to say I actually agree with most of what you say and given the consternates of language and the written word it is possible that I agree with all of it. I certainly could not agree more about the ‘war on drugs’ (how long has it been going on and how do you define drugs) the ‘two political parties’ (although lately the republicans have the lead in self dealing and bad policy that is expertly marketed). I think that a very persuasive argument can be made that we as a species went wrong when we left the agrarian culture for the industrial ( although as an life long motorcyclist who has lived in the golden age I selfishly am gad we did). After all many of the problems of today be they global warming, poor health (mental and physical) an on and on would be so much better if we were all farmers. I don’t like or agree with Grover Norquist and you sound too much like him when you say “radically defunding it is the only solution” to the Federal Government. I do not believe that Government is always by definition a problem because to think that is in a way the same as believing no endeavor of mankind can ever be really successful. But again it is not clear that we actually disagree on that point. I certain feel that if you pay attention there is good reason to believe that power is concentrated in a highly centralized and possibly malicious place. I have read a number of theories about the world banking conspiracies that are very compelling. You know that it does not matter if 6,600 people believe that such a conspiracy exists as long as 6.6 billion do not (or are in too much fog to see it). Looking a today’s world of media magazines and pabulum is it a reality that we have lost the war and they have won by distraction, obfuscation, and the red herring of the month. Or will there be a new awakening where we can see a new way forward; I don’t think we will in my lifetime and if so it will be a painful metamorphosis.

Last edited by Jim TT; 09-02-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

what was this thread about?
while you two are debating this, perhaps you can share the better alternative as currently practiced in a modern society? You can't condemn something for its flaws and completely ignore the benefits, or pretend you'd still have all those benefits without the system in place.

Last edited by cliby; 09-02-2008 at 08:26 PM.