RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Stupid damn college teacher

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Angry Stupid damn college teacher

I pay for my own tuition for school. I pay over 1200 bucks a quarter. I just started my first quarter for Autobody Collision Repair. Things started off fine in the beginning but now that the quarter is about to end (june 18th) My instructor is pushing us first quarter guys aside. I mean he piles on a task list that is 29 tasks long and has to be signed off by him only and then we have to do a 10 page fillin the blank I-Car module that only he teaches on top of having 9 welds done before the end of the quarter or we fail. Not a problem except that he started us on our welding course a week and a half late, Has NOT even started teaching the damn I-Car module yet and wont sign off on our task list cause he is running three different block auto body courses at the same time. So us first quarter guys get the damn shaft. His assistance doesnt do ****. And cant sign off on anything. My instructor is out of town until thursday and the assistant is running the class and goes its a free day til your instructor gets back for all of those expect first quarter. So what do we do.....Sittin in a f-ing class room with our thumbs up our *** and do absolutly nothing while the assistant wanders the shop. I mean for f&&ks sake!!! At least teach the damn I-car **** so we can get a jump on it. GRRR Myself and the rest of the first quarter guys that pay our own tuition are getting fed up with this no structure in the class bull ****. And then we get bitched at for leaving class early when all we do is sit in class doing nothing??? WTF the other first quarter guys and I are like, If we wanted to sit on our *** and do nothing, we could be at home doing nothing. GRRR.....Some instructors. And its no use trying to talk to the instructor cause he goes well you leave at 1130 and class doesnt end till noon. And we were like well why be here if you are going to put all your focus on the ppl in the class that have more quarters under there belt and exclude us. I and the other guys in first quarter are at our wits end!!! We dont know who to go to to complain. Any thoughts cause i am really ready to say peace the F out to school and just go find a damn job. but at the same time I have a passion for cars and want to become a automotive car painter.

Philip
Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'm a retired (16 months ago) Vocational Automotives instructor, and I practically never took a day off, unless I was throwing up or something. I knew my students would just be doing free shop or watching videos with a sub.

As for the task list, did he give it to you at the start of the class, or just recently? It's best for a teacher to let the students know what will be expected of them at the beginning of the course. As for the "fill in the blanks" assignment, perhaps he could go over it with the whole class when he gets back. That could be used as a teaching tool at the end of, or even during, each lecture on the subject. The whole purpose, after all, is for you guys to learn.

I had a lot of immigrant students that had limited English proficiency, so I was pretty easy on written assignments. However, your teacher may have a strict curriculum guideline to follow, dictated by the school.

Just take it one item at a time, rather than getting overwhelmed by the whole package. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

No my instructor just gave us the task list last thursday and he has full rein of how he runs his class. I heard that we will start the I-car module fill in the blank do dad on thursday buy still. We were supposed to start it last monday!!! So thats another reason why I amupset. I am going to school to learn not dick around thats the whole point I am trying to make.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
I wish I were paying $1200 per quarter....
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

Tuition its self is $1055 then add in another $175 bucks for books plus another $100 bucks or so for supplies and you get the grand total. But then again I am going to the local Community college. Why how much is your tutition if you dont mind me asking???

Philip
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
MotoGP

As one of my administrators once said, "Every teacher has a different method of teaching". This was after I pointed out that one of the night instructors never let his students work in the shop (4 hour class, by the way). He said that his students would learn to turn wrenches after they got a job (we were a vocational program). Another night teacher never lectured, his students just did "hobby shop". I was the full time day class teacher, two 4 hour classes/5 days a week for 18 weeks. I lectured 2 days a week, the students worked on organized jobs on "customer cars" 2 days a week, and the students had free shop to work on their own cars on Fridays.

My students ranged from high school age to retired people, with average age in early 30s. I didn't teach Auto Body and Refinishing, but I think you would have liked my classes.

Stick with it and try not to get frustrated. Do you get a different teacher for the second quarter?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
MotoGP

I just re-read your first post in the thread. Teaching multiple levels in the same time period is not easy. What our Auto Body teacher did was get his advanced students started on projects, then turn them over to his aid. Many could get started themselves. Then he would teach the basics through lecture, video and demonstration to the beginning students. I know that painting is a whole different deal today, with water based paints being required for reduced emissions.

My classes were 360 hours for completion=one semester, open entry/open exit. So I constantly had students coming and going, although most started at the beginning of the semester. That made it a challenge for students starting mid semester, but they managed, with help from other students and from me. And many got good jobs.

The classes I taught were, Tune-up and Emission Control and Auto Brake & Suspension...for 34 years in the same 10 bay shop. The material covered changed quite a bit over the years, of course. As did the equipment and tools we used.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 05-25-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

I would have liked your classes!!! Wanna teach me instead??? LOL!!! anywho no, I dont get a new instructor second quarter. Same one. He has been there teaching since 1986. So as ols as i am...24 LOL!!! I wish we could bring in our cars on fridays. He only lets fourth quarter and up bring in their cars, but the thing that uspets me the most is that he plays favorites. Oh well thanks VTRsurfer, Ill stick with it cause I really want to be a painter and open up my own autobody shop one day to pass down to my son when I get old and retire a long time from now LOL!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
which college cracker?

Instructors always play favorites some just more obvious then others. If you bust ***, keep things clean, and always chat up the instructor a little before or after class things can turn around. You know from just another "slack off" in his eyes to someone with a passion, basically get noticed and make a good name for yourself. I know that always worked for me. After I finished the welding program the instructor hired me to work as the assistant instructor if that says anything. I also should clarify to not brown nose just chat about things, anecdotes, cars etc but don't use class time. Just my 2 cents, you can't change the instructor he has been around too long, you have to play the game the best you can just play it real. Oh and take on as much "extra" work as you can. Hang in there too lots of people quit but finishing has it rewards.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

South Seattle Community College. And I hear what you are sayin. I hope second quarter gets off to a better start. LOL!!! When you going to be back up my way???
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
SuperBike

yeah, I probably won't be around until mid June my dad is a school teacher and he has been sharing my builds with his students so I will be bringing it by for them to see. I will let you know.

Just keep your head up with school, it is just the foundation and the job later seals the deal anyways.

I had a good experience at Lake Washington Tech for the couple yrs I was there. Thats why I was curious where you were going. Some classes/instructors were better then others but all of them taught me something.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

yea keep me posted on when you come up. First quarter ends on june 18th. Sent you a pm for my other questions. Ill keep everyone updated on how school is going. Thanks again for everyones support. It really means alot to me.

Philip
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

Ok so here is an update on how school is going. My instructor said that we will start the I-CAR module soon. Hopefully this week. I have 8 of my 9 welds done. So hopefully i will have my last weld test done today!!! Yay for me!!! LOL!!! I found out that my class is going on a field trip to the local car dealership to tour their autobody shop so we can see how a shop is ran. We also get to tour the City of seattle metro bus autobody shop on the 15th to compare a small shop to a huge shop. Overall I am happy with the change that is being made. About 5 of us went to our instructor and expressed our concerns in an adult manner and he said he understood. He also said that he would try to incorperate more structure for the class. I am really excited for this quarter to end so that way I can start summer quarter. that will be the fun quarter cause I get to start working on "Live" cars. Plus I get to start spraying paint in the booths. Well thanks again everyone for being supportive and helping me stay motivated to stay in school and succeed. You are a bunch of great guys and gals on the forum. Well got to go now break time is over and I have to finish my last weld. Wish me luck!!! =)

Philip
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

Got the last weld done yesterday!!! Whoo hoo for me. Anyways nothing new. Just working on a "live" car today. Got my first taste of color sanding. I love it. Its so much fun to mess with cars and fix them!!! G2G, Class is over.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

I'm glad you were able to hang in there. Going to your instructor and expressing your concerns in a polite manner is always the best way to start. Keep up the good work, it'll all be worth it in the end.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

Yeah. thank you again. Ill Update everyone after the quarter ends.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear things are going well now. My guess is that you have learned more that what was required in the class.

1) Conflict resolution. You handled it like an adult and got it resolved. In the "real world" jumping in the middle of someones **** rarely ends well for either side.
2) Initiative. Seems like you had one hell of a problem and made things work. That is a rare commodity in todays work force.

I employ software engineers, but if I owned a body shop, you would definitely be on my "must hire" list. Good on you and keep up the good work.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

I really appreciate that Bytes. That was really nice of you. I had a really good day yesterday. My instructor told me that I Was very attentive and that I was coming along in the class very well. He also told me that my performance in the class and the shop is 110 percent better than the beginning of the quarter. I was missing class cause of the problems with the instructor. I finished wet sanding the clear off a impala I was working on and then prepped up the School Dean's 2000 Ford ranger. Its Electric, The dean told me only 50 exist in the country. So all and all the end of this quarter is going very smoothly. And yes Bytes....I am doing more than is required of me. I do my normal homework as well as read ahead on the text book and do the reviews at the end of the chapters. I showed my instructor all the reviews I have completed already and he could only say this....DAMN!!!! LOL!!! We start the I car stuff and go over the task sheet on monday. Oh and My instructor said he would show me how to ploish aluminum on monday so Then I can polish my frame!!! I am really stoked!!! Have a great weekend guys and I really do appreciate everyones support with school.

Philip
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

So today is a very good day. I asked my teacher if I passed this quarter and he said yes. So that is accomplishment number 1. Number two is that I started on polishing the frame. Man that is alot of sanding!!! LOL!!! But it will look awesome in end cause I get to take my time on my project to do it right. All In all I am very pleased with the fact that my instructor is warming up to me and has been doing alot better with structure. Hope all is well with everyone on here and have a great week.

Philip
Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

Ok so here is the latest update.....I started my first day of second quarter, And it is going awesome so far. I am excited to learn how to spray car paint. I also found out today that I passed my three classes with a 3.0 (B) so that is a big relief off my shoulders. Overall I think things are going well. well Ill keep ya posted on how I am doing in class.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
MotoGP

Way to go! Glad to hear you're finally in the groove.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Hang in there kid, a way to go on talking to the instructor and getting things cleared up. A little talk can go a long way. Nice grades too!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Good job. Focus on the important stuff!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
SuperBike

Hey cracker, the dean of your department was my welding instructor and was the guy I worked for for a year at LWTC. He was hired on a year or so ago. Great guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Cornandp, I was at LWTC '86-'87 in the motorcycle program. What is the name of the instructor you know?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

Ben Taves, I think he was hired on after that time though at LWTC.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

Oh snaps....LOL!!! Thats crazy. Yea the dean is awesome. Cool guy. He is very proffesional and very laid back at the same time. LOL!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
SuperBike

Yeah next time you see him tell him hello from me. I emailed him not too long ago. I think he still rides a Goldwing too so he is a fellow rider as well. Oh and unlike a lot of higher ups he actually has a good sense of humor too. Definitely was a huge mentor for me a few years back. He is probably one of the more instrumental people to influence my passion for fab.