RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Remembering D-Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Remembering D-Day

Though I'm sure many of you remember, our communist if chief (and our wonderful media) seem to have completely forgotten that 68 years ago today was D-Day. He should have given a VET a ride on air force one, not jon bon ******* jovi. 29,000 young men gave their lives that day. Google would rather mark the 79th anniversary of the first drive in movie theater...and though I obviously couldn't listen all day I didn't hear anything about it on NPR either...

Big thank you to all those who serve, have served, sacrificed, and who gave the ultimate sacrifice, so I can sit here in peace tonight.

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
As a Vietnam Veteran and seeing what I saw I know it palescompared to what those guys faced. Brokaw calls them the Greatest Generation...I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
To all who served, are serving and will serve my family and I thank you for protecting and guarding this great nation.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Fortunately, the French haven't forgotten.....

Statue of U.S. war hero who inspired hit historical drama Band of Brothers unveiled on 68th anniversary of D-Day | Mail Online
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Indeed God Bless our military.

My ole man served in WWII (Yes he was old when I was born - he was an old dog

Though he wasn't part of D-Day (at least I don't think so - he's records burned up in a fire in the early 70's somewhere in St. Louis where the Army was holding such things) I know he was under Pattons command, 7th Regiment.

RIP Dad
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Squid

usaabn is on a distinguished road
Smile

great thread,

My grandfather spoke very little about his experience during WW2. I would like to thank all those who have served. You are the greatest of your generation. Please allow me to share a quick story. While on my way home form Irag during R&R, I awaited my conneting flight in Atlanta. Wanting little more than to sleep, I sat alone with my head perched on my hands. An older gentleman walked up and sat down next to me. He handed me a Diet Pepsi and whispered 1967. I thanked him for the Pepsi and he and I made eye contact. He stood up and walked away. That brief encounter will stay in my heart for ever...

usaabn
Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
I'm a big supporter of our armed services. I happen to have been born in the Uk, but now am proud to be an American citizen. That is just as proud of both my countries heritage.

It's sad that so many soon forget those few who have given so much.

Not WWII related, but a great insight into just what one loss of life means. Taking Chance - chicagotribune.com

Now times that by thousands. I'm am enternally grateful to all those who serve.

I dare you to read all of this article without shedding a tear!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
Great read...I am going to repost that link on FB.

I had two grandfathers in WWII and one Step-Grandfather in Korea. I have never met more patriotic people in my life. It seems when I was younger I never really appreciated the sacrafices they gave by going to war for the rest of the country. How putting their lives on the line was not just some light duty.

Being a little older now and understanding this, I get so frustrated seeing people take the current war overseas like it is some sort of joke. No matter what the reason we are there, or how effective it is, those people over there are risking their lives for all of us.

I tip my hat to all our service men and women, past and present, and extend a big "Thank You" for stepping up to the plate for the rest of us.