RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

I am officially a dumb ass

Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
I am officially a dumb ***

I ordered a Dark Smoke windshield from a guy on Fleabay. I didn't get the $2.99 one from Hong Kong because I knew it would be cheap ****.

Came in the mail, nicely packaged and in those crappy macaronis that get all over the place even when you're trying to be careful with them. I took off the stock windshield and extricated the rubber screwpieces from it. The dark smoke windshield had some consistancy to it but it was flimsy. I went to press the rubber grommets into the holes which did mount up. I gave it some pressure and .............

SNAP! in two pieces.

So now I will be looking for another dark smoke windshield for my SH. I am debating on whether just to by it direct from ZG and pay for the good one.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Get a ZG, it pays for itself in quality and lack of aggravation
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the tough luck. You might try http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Not sure if the quality is as good as ZG (have never seen one) but it accepted the rubber grommets just fine. It also comes with rubber trim to finish the upper edge that I can personally attest stays on fine to over 130mph
Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i bought a lockhart phillips for one of my old gixxers and that thing was garbage. during installation it disintegrated in my hands like yours.

i have hade a couple zero gravity screens. they are beeter, and not really expensive. i just got my 1098 and wanted a screen and i got a zero gravity. it went on with no issues at all.

i would like to try a fabbri sometime. others talk highly of puig.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Puig is another good manufacture.. I have one of each for the SH, and the wifes Nija has a Puig.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
I had seen those on fleabay before and wondered how good they were...guess I know now. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way though.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Sorry for the tough luck. You might try http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Not sure if the quality is as good as ZG (have never seen one) but it accepted the rubber grommets just fine. It also comes with rubber trim to finish the upper edge that I can personally attest stays on fine to over 130mph
That is the one I purchased for $29.99. To me it is very flimsy and didn't not come with the rubber piece on the top. I learned, but the good thing is I should have tried here first. I just got a PM for a touring shield
Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've had several new and used ZG's and could never complain about the quality-they were all pretty nice. I don't know about the other Hong Kong crap but I did also buy a cheap airblade for my '99 before I sold it and mine wasn't really that bad...certainly didn't break apart in my hands that's horseshit I'd ask for a replacement if it was brand friggin new...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I have a touring windscreen from ZG.

Didn't have any issues with installing it. I also painted the bottom part black to match the stock windscreen and cover up the wiring to the guages. The stock piece has a thick edge up top, the ZG doesn't, but otherwise seems fine. (There is no rubber piece either.) The gap between the fairing and the ZG is uneven in one spot, but not noticeable unless I pointed it out to you. And I'm picky.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 12-08-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The gap between the fairing and the ZG is uneven in one spot, but not noticeable unless I pointed it out to you. And I'm picky.
Yeah now that I remember I did have this problem with the airblade...
Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
All of you guys with your fancy touring windscreens have just convinced me to add one to my christmas list... THANKS ALOT!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ttocsmai
That is the one I purchased for $29.99. To me it is very flimsy and didn't not come with the rubber piece on the top. I learned, but the good thing is I should have tried here first. I just got a PM for a touring shield
Huh - guess maybe I got lucky.
I went that way after I checked out the Airblade web sight. It seemed like a reasonably good quality piece based on the manufactures site.
The rubber trim came with it in the box
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Superstock

I guess I got a Hong Kong Phooey piece disguised as an Airblade. Wouldn't be the first time on Fleabay.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i like the look of the touring zg, they're different. i think the fabbri has a similar look. unfortunately the higher screens direct the wind blast right to my head, so i have been buying stock shape screens.

oh, i had a givi screen that was good.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I've had an LP dark smoke stock type screen for about a year and a half, and it still looks great. Cost me under $50 ordered from the Honda dealer. Install was easy, so i put one on my wife's SV as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
I think you can call yourself a dumbass but doesn't someone else have to make it official?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Superstock

go for it!

but then again my wife has already called me that a few times among other things.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
go for it!

but then again my wife has already called me that a few times among other things.

As a married dude, I'm on the 'dumbass' train also. So I can co-sign for the 'dumbass' call if you want!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I guess I got a Hong Kong Phooey piece disguised as an Airblade. Wouldn't be the first time on Fleabay.
Gotta trust your source and your brand. Puig on the Superhawk and ZG on the Interceptor. They're both great fit and great wind.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i got a cheap double bubble style dark wind screen off of ebay for 20-30 bucks and its been great???? really thick and sturdy,and looks good??
Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 AM
SuperSport

I only got mine only a few months back so I can't attest to the longevity. I read several threads where guys wrote that the Ebay screens cracked over time.
For the fit, the issue is the holes where the rubber fasteners go. The holes on the OEM are counterbored so the rubber flange does not push the fairing up. The Airblade is not, nor apparently other cheaper screens so the small gaps are created. Hawkrider mentioned he counterbored his himself.
I checked out the Airblade site again. It looks real, but I guess anyone can set up a web page. You might try contacting Airblade directly. Maybe they would do something for you.
Tell them we are talkin about them!

Last edited by Stevebis1; 12-09-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: I'm a dumb ass too
Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
i like the look of the touring zg, they're different. i think the fabbri has a similar look. unfortunately the higher screens direct the wind blast right to my head, so i have been buying stock shape screens.

oh, i had a givi screen that was good.
I don't like the look, but it's functional. Much easier to get behind it on long rides. The Iron Butt association is finally sending me my license plate frame.