RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Honda parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
Honda parts

Here's one that pisses me off. So I need new o rings for the needle retainers. I call the Honda dealer to get some. Should be no problem right? Wrong! Not only does the dealer not have the o rings in stock, they go on to tell me that Honda doesn't offer just the rings for sale. Ok. So I ask them what I need to do. They tell me I have to order the entire valve plate assembly. How much does that cost, I ask. Sixteen a piece comes the reply. So thirty two bucks for two o rings that cost pennies to produce. I begrudgingly order the parts. Dealer says they'll be here in two days. Here we are twelve days later and they ordered one of them. WTF?! That does me no good. It just angers me on so many levels. First, the fact that I had to order the assemblies in the first place (what a racket that is). And second, the dealer only places the order for one. Seems like everytime I need something, it's on backorder or it's a "specialty item". Really? Am I the only vtr owner around here? I know everyone has gone thru this, it's just so frustrating. Equally frustrating is the fact that not a single hardware store has rings that will fit properly. This ring size must be specific to the part to force you to purchase the entire thing. I've had the bike since February and it's spent more time in the shop, dismantled, or waiting on parts. Sigh... Just needed to vent a bit.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
bikebandit.com

Full OEM selection, good prices, quick shipping.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Squid

mattmcgyver is on a distinguished road
+1 on bikebandit.com
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Back Marker

Thanks man. At this point, guess i gotta wait it out. But next time I'll use them. The dealer, or stealer to be more appropriate, won't be getting any more of my money. Now that you mention it, I do recall using bandit in the past to get airbox pieces for my zx7r.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Squid

psyclown is on a distinguished road
I use southernhonda.com. Both have the parts fiche neccessary though. It's the nicest part about being an DYI mechanic/ Honda owner.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Back Marker

Thanks all. Checked bike bandit. They don't sell the o ring by itself either. Oh well. Guess I'll try southern Honda. Irratating to be held up this long over 2 cents worth of rubber. Haha.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Why didn't you just order an oring from anywhere?
Just find one that is gasoline safe.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Back Marker

Tried that. I cannot find one that is the correct size. If its too big, it won't go into the piston, too small and it won't seat. I've been to ten hardware stores and auto parts stores. Nothing. To make my blood boil even more, the dealer tells me my parts came in. I get down there and find out it didn't. It just gets better...
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
My problem with bike bandit is the shipping cost to Canada. I ordered a master link for the cam chain on my CB500T and the part was only $6 but they wanted to charge $36 to ship it! I ordered it from Steve and www.hondarestoration.com and the link was cheaper and the shipping only $5
Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Try a good plumbing supply house, you would be surprised at the variety of sizes that are available. The three variables are OD, ID, and the diameter of cross section of the o-ring material. I've had good luck in a number of applications.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Service standards are certainly different depending on the dealer.My local Honda shop, Sheehans Cycle are great.They often have to order parts,but I have never waited more than 3 days.As for having to buy "assemblies", complain to American Honda.If enough people bitch than maybe things would change.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Back Marker

Good point steve. It's just absurd to require one purchase all that for a bullshit o ring. Haha.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Back Marker

Thanks for all the links guys
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Dealers tend to wait for a "batch" of orders before sending. Cuts down on shipping and paperwork. Bikebandit liberated me from the shmarmy parts counter guys.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

From now on that's who I'll be using. I haven't ordered from them in nearly a decade and kinda forgot they even existed. I'll never let that happen again. I looked at oem parts for the vtr, they have it all! Including that yellow seat cowl I've been searching for. Good site! Was shocked to see the carbs are over a grand. Guess I shouldn't be though. Haha
Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

Seriously though, refering to the guys manning the parts counters at most of these dealers: the level of ineptitude one encounters is staggering. Typically, it's some kid who is too busy texting on his cell phone to even realize you're there. Then when you ask for the parts you need, he is unable to locate said parts on the schematic. Additionally, they have no knowledge on the inner workings or function of the parts. Maybe it's just me, but I think the guy behind the counter should know more than i do. And it's not as if I'm some mechanical prodigy or something. I'm not saying he should have vtr specific knowledge, but he should possess a working knowledge of s motorcycle engine. It just makes you feel better when the guy you're talking to isn't as sharp as a spoon (or insert you're own analogy here). When I stroll up to that counter, the guy (or gal) working there should be able to help me in the most timely and efficient manner possible. Rather than seeming preoccupied about what their plans are when they get off work. I know Im painting with a broad brush here, and seem like some sort of malcontent, but i've encountered it sooo many times. Wow...that was some tangent.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I've found hard to get small stuff here.<https://www.smallparts.com/b/16413611?ref_=&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Cbran dtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability%2Creview-rating%2Cdate%2Cis_prime&searchNodeID=16413611&sea rchRank=relevancerank&searchSize=20&searchBinNameL ist=subjectbin%2Cbrandtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability%2Creview-rating%2Cdate%2Cis_prime>

Last edited by thetophatflash; 05-05-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: bad url <smallparts.com>
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
I've found hard to get small stuff here.<https://www.smallparts.com/b/16413611?ref_=&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Cbran dtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability%2Creview-rating%2Cdate%2Cis_prime&searchNodeID=16413611&sea rchRank=relevancerank&searchSize=20&searchBinNameL ist=subjectbin%2Cbrandtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability%2Creview-rating%2Cdate%2Cis_prime>
Wow. That's gotta be the longest URL I've ever seen. Haha. I'll check it out. Thanks man.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
Definitely agree with you on the ineptitude aspect of your stereotypical "parts guy." Last time I went to my local bike shop I had to show the kid how to use a parts fiche. I'm not mechanical messiah either, I'm a 23 year old who just tinkers. That's the reason I dig bikebandit, makes me feel like I'm the parts guy

PS. Wanna start a bike shop steve29? :P
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Try this

http://www.oringswest.com/
Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Back Marker

Haha. Let's do it! Nice profile picture by the way. I love bender!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Squid

psyclown is on a distinguished road
From looking at the fiche it looks to me like you can order the o-ring seperate. its item 2 -

SKU: 16010-MBB-640
GASKET SET A (Honda Code 5361654)

It should come as a set from southernhonda.com for $20.91 (year 2000 model)

It seems like your assumption about your parts guy is right bc he should have seen this.

Last edited by psyclown; 05-06-2010 at 12:39 PM.