RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Everyone likes an expert, this is funny

Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
Everyone likes an expert, this is funny

from Craigslist

How to sell your bike on craigslist - $1000000 (Denver)

Reply to: sale-9aupb-1216889272@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-11, 2:27PM MDT

I'm not the author, but this is sound advice. Too bad more people don't follow it.

Dear Motorcycle Owners,

After spending a few minutes perusing the mighty CL marketplace looking at some used motorcycles, I thought I might take a few minutes and educate a few of you on how to actually sell that bike of yours, and how to avoid looking like a complete jackass in the process.

I thought most of these of these little tidbits were common knowledge for people trying to sell something, but that is very clearly NOT the case, evidenced by the ridiculous ads I've choked through this morning. Here goes....

HOW TO SELL YOUR BIKE ON CRAIGSLIST:

1. This really should go without saying, POST SOME PICTURES. GOOD ONES! I know this is hard to fathom, but would-be buyers, especaily the ones that actually have the money, REALLY like to see what it is they're buying. That means you should not be taking pictures with your cell phone, or posting pictures you stole form the internet, or pictures of your friend's bike that probably looks nothing like yours. Borrow a digital camera, take 10 or 15 really good pictures, and upload the best ones. It's not that hard! Good pictures will sell your bike, period.

2. What you owe on your bike has absolutely NOTHING to do with how much it's worth. It's hard to swallow, I know, but just because you got suckered into buying that CBR at full MSRP plus fees with a worthless 4-year warranty doesn't mean it's magically worth $11,949 when you need to sell it. Did you think your measly $99 a month payment for the last 3 months was going to make some miraculous dent in your tragic financing plan? Your bike is still worth $6800, just like every other 600rr that is for sale this week.

3. Aftermarket equipment does not automatically raise the value of your bike. Your bike is not "custom" just because you couldn't resist installing the Autozone LED's on the fairings, and that Two-Brothers exhaust that your cousin installed incorrectly doesn't change anything. Aftermarket equipment and extras actually LOWER the value of your bike to most buyers, and should be used as a tool to sweeten the deal, NOT increase the price. Modifications are not an investment, folks....if you want to get your money back from your shiny red skull & crossbones windscreen, you should sell it separately....or kill yourself for considering such a thing tasteful.

4. The word 'FIRM' is never to be used in a Craigslist ad. EVER. You are never firm on your price, got it? Everything for sale on CL is open for negotiation, and being "FIRM" just makes you sound like a pretentious *******, especially when your aforementioned 600rr is priced $2800 higher than everyone else's. I wonder why it's still for sale after 3 months with no hits? Oh yeah....

5. Be honest about your bike's condition. There is no way that every motorcycle for sale in Colorado is flawless, never dropped, and stored in the Vatican when it's not being ridden, OK? A scratch here and there? Bit of rash on the tail? No problem, **** happens...but BE HONEST about it. There is nothing I hate more than driving across town to view a 'flawless' bike, only to find out that it's a total piece of **** with blown fork seals, bald tires and cake frosting on the chain. If it looks like it's been dragged behind a garbage truck, chances are I'm unlikely to overlook the damage. Honesty is kind of important when selling a used bike with no warranty, and blatantly lying about your bike has a way of chasing away potential buyers....crazy, huh?

6. Price your bike competitively! Do your research. Check KBB, local forums, other CL ads, etc, and try to get an idea what your bike is actually worth on the open market. Retail value means nothing. What you owe means nothing. Silly Autozone parts mean nothing. Factor in the mileage, condition, etc when deciding on a number. If your bike is priced higher than all the similar bikes for sale, guess what? It's probably not going to sell anytime soon. Suck it up, price it a hundred bucks or so lower than comparable machines on the market, and watch it sell fast. Be willing to negotiate!

7. Answer your phone! Watch your email! Buyers like me, who have the money, are impatient as hell and itching to buy something. If you want to sell your bike, you're going to need to be responsive to the people who want to buy it. If the only way to contact you is via morse code on every third Friday between 8:00 and 8:15, chances are I'm buying something else.

8. Your 1995 Yamaha Seca II will not do 200mph. Enough said. Honesty....we've covered this.

9. Be descriptive!! Nobody cares that your R1 is "stoopid fast and pix up mad chix!" What color is it? How many miles are on it? Do you have the title, or will you be taking magic beans in payment? How are the tires? Any extras come with it? Why are you selling? What condition is it in? Why should I buy yours over all the others? These things make the difference, I swear they do. You might get 3 less dumb questions if you take the time to answer them in your ad.

10. Use effective keywords!! If you list your bike as "Stoopid fast crotch rocket, gets chix, CHEEP!", I may not see your ad if I'm searching for GSXR, R1, CBR, ZX-10R, Ducati, etc. Consider using ALL the various spellings of your particular motorcycle in your ad. This way, if someone searching for a ZX-10R, they'll see your ad even if they type ZX10R, ZX10, 10R, Ninja, etc...it's so simple, yet often completely overlooked.

Hopefully with these simple tips, you too can quickly and efficiently sell your motorcycle, and the rest of us can avoid pointing and laughing at you. Happy posting!!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1216889272
Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
That's some funny ****. I buy and sell a ton of bikes using CL... and I read my fair share of terrible ads posted by terrible sellers. This should be listed in the CL rules.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
GREAT read! So true!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Squid

Joe Kano is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats wrong with saying "stoopid fast"? I say that all the time cuz its true.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
This is common sense for people with half a brain, but very well written though. I love to buy and sell cheap bikes for fun/hobby using craigslist and ebay and it's never taken me more that a few days to sell one, and ALWAYS for quite a bit more than I paid. How? Selling CLEAN bikes that everything works on, being HONEST, giving a PHONE NUMBER, and taking lots of great pics. And use proper spelling and grammar! Works like a charm every time.

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
+1 every motorcycle I have sold on craigslist sold within 2 or 3 days.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad For Sales

Originally Posted by Joe Kano
Whats wrong with saying "stoopid fast"? I say that all the time cuz its true.
Saying that in a casual conversation is one thing... but using that type of language in a business situation is a really good way to scare off potential buyers, especially those who really do have the cash on hand to make an actual purchase.