RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

BIKE WAS FOUND!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
All of this is simply BS...yeah I said it! Plain and simple the law is "possession of a stolen item is against the law". That can be a cop riding your bike and not turning it in or a tow operator holding it. Well I say too bad! it's still possession of a stolen item. And by no means should an owner be charged for it's return. That is why we have police. If I buy a stolen item (knowingly or not) it doesn't matter what I paid for it or spent on it, if found I lose it and do you honestly believe they are going to reimburse me? Heck no! Same rules apply for all not just some.
The way it was handled was totally wrong and buracrats frigged up oh well still not the ownwers fault (it was stolen). He should have to pay butkiss.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah sharp, you are 100% on the money. Welcome to big government. They are a money collecting crime group. Oh yeah, and government employees miraculously make 2-3 TIMES what private sector folks make.

All those tolls and parking tickets. They gotstsa get paid. Keep thier full pension and health benefits. This country was never meant to be like this and it does suck.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Cops and towing companies are birds of a feather. They're racketeers.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
Plain and simple the law is "possession of a stolen item is against the law" ... Heck no! Same rules apply for all not just some.
The worst part for me is that we shouldn't need specific laws for common sense things like this. Tow company storing a stolen vehicle finds the owner had no way of knowing? Take it upon themselves to be good people and give it back. If your business will fail because you can't take money from less than deserving people like in this case, then something's amiss. Next time they're in a bind you never know who will step up for them. I'm sure Bearshawk is in no mood to do anything of the sort...

Won't even let you see it? $2407.50? They can't even discern between things like a repo and a theft recovery in their own profession it seems...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I have a few questions regarding this issue.

1-Was he insured ?
2-If so, has he been paid for the theft ?
3-If he has not been paid, I'm sure his insurance company
would be very interested in this story, and, better equiped
to negotiate in his place. I think.
4-If he has been paid, keep it quite, or, they may just oblige
him to reclaim his bike, and, reimburse them.

I know that most of the time, insurance covers much more then the
true value of the vehicule. This was my case with my '98. I know if it
were me, and my insurance company had settled the loss, I would already
be shopping for another bike. I however understand wanting your bike back. You know it, love it, cared for it, and know what needs to be done, and what's already been done. Much less hassle then starting over with a new one.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
So what's the latest update?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

Flash, if he had been paid, I would not expect the outrage. Not everyone enjoys the luxury of full coverage. Thats what makes it even worse.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Flash, if he had been paid, I would not expect the outrage. Not everyone enjoys the luxury of full coverage. Thats what makes it even worse.
Good point. So what would be the average cost for full coverage for this
sort of bike ? I know for me, it's 160$ a year. The bike can be stollen, blow up, crash, tumble, set on fire, etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Mine goes from ~$360 now to ~$1,100 per year for full coverage. I don't have minimum, but it's close (some comprehensive and roadside).

Granted I'm a 27 year old single male renting my living quarters, so I don't fall too low on their risk assessment I'm assuming

Edit: and those are from the cheapest carrier I could find...

Last edited by 7moore7; 11-20-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Mine goes from ~$360 now to ~$1,100 per year for full coverage. I don't have minimum, but it's close (some comprehensive and roadside).

Granted I'm a 27 year old single male renting my living quarters, so I don't fall too low on their risk assessment I'm assuming

Edit: and those are from the cheapest carrier I could find...
When I was 21 and first got my YZF600 (an aging bike even at that time. I got it in 04 and it was a 2000 model that had been unchanged since 97, engine was a design from 94) full coverage for 6 months was half of what I paid for the bike, $2500..

I'm 30 now and the hawk costs me $400 for full coverage, but its locked in a garage all the time so I just have liability on it for $160 a year. For the record I've had my motorcycle licence for 13 years now and a handful of nasty speeding tickets on bikes from the fact that I went without glasses for too long and misread a few speed signs in my youth with the YZF
Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
... and a handful of nasty speeding tickets on bikes from the fact that I went without glasses for too long and misread a few speed signs in my youth with the YZF
My bullshit meter just pegged.

My full coverage on the Hawk is about $100 with Allstate. However, I'm old and have four other vehicles, a home and a travel trailer covered with them if that makes a difference.

More on topic, I agree with all those who are calling bullshit on the way the OP is getting screwed. You can't defend a system like this by saying the tow company has to turn a profit to stay in business or has to cover their costs. If your business model is ******* over individuals in league with the authorities, it's time to get a new business model. I would agree the OP owes the tow company for the tow and for storage beginning the day or day after he is actually made aware where and how he may recover his property. A cost, I believe, the OP has stated he is willing to pay. Anything more than that is state sponsored theft. Secure from rant.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 11-20-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add rant.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
My bullshit meter just pegged..
Hey, I won't say that I didn't speed on occasion, but all my tickets were from misread speed signs in unfamiliar area's. Worst one was leaving a town, there was a passing zone and a speed sign. Speed was 35, and I just read it wrong. I swear the sign said 55, tagged doing 63 passing a car right after the sign. I saw the cop on the left of the road before I made the pass, I'm not stupid enough (even back then) to do 30 over right in front of a cop intentionally

Last edited by insulinboy; 11-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

The needle just broke.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
My track only rc51 was stolen last month along with a 250 race bike and track riding gear. The rc51 was recovered when the thief high sided on a residential street and died from head injuries (lidless).

I was waiting at the tow yard the next day when they brought the bike from the police station, and was still charged over $500 for the tow (10 miles). The DMV was kind enough to let me out of the $350 DUI impound release charge, after I informed them they should get it from the dead guy that stole my bike.

Over $500 in tow, and some ugly damage from the high side. From now on I will insure track bikes for fire/theft. Probably never need it now..............
Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Squid

ahernandez74 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Where can one get an official City official Parking permit...officially?
Fake it. Photoshop and staples is your best friend...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slo1
The rc51 was recovered when the thief high sided on a residential street and died from head injuries (lidless).

Wow, just... wow.

Karmas a bitch ain't it!

That being said, I don't want to act like the thief dying was a good thing, but there is something to be said about reaping what you sow.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by matt365
Wow, just... wow. Karmas a bitch ain't it!

That being said, I don't want to act like the thief dying was a good thing, but there is something to be said about reaping what you sow.
I felt bad at first, but he had a very long history of stealing vehicles and other less reputable activities. The rc51 was just more than he bargained for, and he should have been wearing my gear he stole........

maybe I will call the bike "Christine" now
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
well guys... the captain of SPPD said i should honestly just forget about my bike and put a claim in to the county to repay me for the value of the bike... i put in a claim for 3100 bucks and hopefully it works out... the sad thing is i wont ever get to see MY hawk again

i am CONTEMPLATING buying it back at auction when the tow yard does end up selling it and using it as a track bike...

ill keep updating the forum as things develop but either way i hope it gets figured out quick... i move back up to northern mn on the 2nd and dont want to have to be in a lawsuit from 4 hours away
Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Sounds like they just want to sweep this little "oops" under the rug. I say fight it...if you have the means.
Sucks you have to deal with this crap before the holidays. I wish somebody would actually say, "hey, I screwed up and I will pay for my mistake". Instead, they took the easy way out, which is so damn sad.

You still haven't seen what your bike looks like after it was stolen and dumped, have you?

P.S. I was just up in Lakeville, MN doing a job for QA1 (really cool company!) Nice area around there.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 11-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
Spend a few hundred bucks and have an attorney make the claim with the county so they know you are serious about your claim. You should be entitled to your loss plus expenses in your recovery attempt, the authorities are totally at fault here and should be held responsible.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Squid

TAMPAHAWK68 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar experience, but with a car. It was repoed..long story. Short version..repo guy picked it up one morning 5am..heard him hooking it up, so went outside to investigate..nice guy no drama..no company name on tow truck..i didnt care...glad to be rid of it..to this day..over a year later..no record of it ever being recovered...hmmmm
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Superstock

well fellas, a little update here...

after months of paperwork and phone calls i finally got somewhere with my claim, i submitted the claim on november 22 and on march 6 i got a response with an "offer" for settlement from ramsey county. I submitted a claim for 3000 dollars to replace my bike and for lost time. i got an offer for 1465.00....

needless to say i was not very thrilled...the woman in charge then went on vacation for a week so i couldnt reach here. i thought about what i should do and what my options were...not very many unfortunately. I decided to call the towing company and see what business they go through for auctions and to see if my bike was still around... i called and they said sorry it was sold. then on wed the 19th a good friend of mine from st.paul called me and said he was pretty sure my bike was for sale on craigslist... and sent me the link... sure as sh$# MY beautiful red 98 for sale from a auction company for $1850

i immediately called the woman in charge of my claim and said i would like to counter your offer of 1465 with 1900 as MY motorcycle is for sale in the cities and i have an opportunity to get it back... the woman not so politely told me that she could have denied my claim entirely and that the offer was based on the fact it wasnt certain who's fault it was and she felt i deserved some restitution... but wasnt sure the county would ante up for some more cash... i couldnt believe that 400 dollars would make or break the situation... especially to get ME to stop calling and bitching at them day in and day out about my claim

i dont live in the cities so i had my brother go and check her out... besides the punched ignition she looked totally the same as when she was taken he rode it and said it was great so i ended up picking her up with the hopes that i will get the full 1900 from the county and not have to pay the difference for MY STOLEN property... but we will see

either way i am happy to have my hawk back and very happy to be able to be back on this forum day in and day out... i was too depressed to come one here for awhile after she was taken
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I'm happy you have your bike back, at least.

However, what a typical response from a gub'ment O-fisheel. "I could have just said, '**** you', but I didn't. Don't you see what a wonderful favor I'm doing for you?" Makes me sick.

Be careful trying to get the rest of the money out of them. Don't **** 'em off or before you know it, the ****** will retract the offer of $1465 seeing as they don't know who fucked up.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM
MotoGP

Sounds odd but you are hugely fortunate to get it back in good shape. I had a theft recovered and it looked like it fell off a cliff (or tubled down a rocky hill). Made me sick.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Superstock

very true guys! i couldn't believe that it was in great shape... they didnt even do burn outs! the auction company said it was left once it ran out of gas... i dont know why they didnt just break the gas cap too, seeing as they messed up the ignition already. If i dont hear from the county soon im going to just cash in the offer of 1465 and be done with it, it just makes me sad because the money i will have to shell out could have been saved for tasty mods
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
MotoGP

My last stolen bike was a race bike loaded in my van with camping gear, tire warmers, tools spares etc.

The whole van was stolen bike and all. (bought the bike from last seasons champion).

Needless to say the weekend was cancelled. It was a total loss of van, bike and stuff.

You are blessed. It just depends on what you focus on.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Tell you what man this is an old post but reading it got me so fired up I missed the date until half way through. I was about to send a rant saying Steal it back. I had a car stolen once and it almost got me time, I stole everything I could from that wrecking yard until I had my cars value then some. I got busted with 75 bucks worth of parts and as I was a minor didnt get more than a trespassing. I hope you got your cash back and I gotta say man Id go poor making the tow place go under. Worked at a shop and we had a weeks free storage on anything. Bastards are like roaches!