Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Qatar WSBK results...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Qatar WSBK results...

Spies won the pole and did the double. This kid is for REAL! WOOHOO!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Of course he is. he is on an R1. LOL
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Spies won the pole and did the double. This kid is for REAL! WOOHOO!!!
Did you have any doubts? Anyone who can beat Mladin, who himself could beat these guys, is for real.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:40 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

No but how many riders can really jump from bike to bike and series to series and keep winning like that? And right off the bat too. The list is short and some of the best riders in the world aren't on it. Alot of guys have left here bound for greatness and it just didn't happen for them, even if maybe not always their fault entirely. But I think the sun's shining of Spies and I think he may realize what many others fell short at. Too bad Mladin never got a second chance on the world stage.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER
Of course he is. he is on an R1. LOL
So is his teammate...Like Richthofen said it's not the crate it's the man sitting in it.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 PM
SuperBike

No but how many riders can really jump from bike to bike and series to series and keep winning like that? And right off the bat too. The list is short and some of the best riders in the world aren't on it. Alot of guys have left here bound for greatness and it just didn't happen for them, even if maybe not always their fault entirely. But I think the sun's shining of Spies and I think he may realize what many others fell short at. Too bad Mladin never got a second chance on the world stage.
He has been very, very impressive thus far.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Too bad Mladin never got a second chance on the world stage.
Mladin is in the US by choice. He could go back to Europe any time he'd like but he prefers to dominate AMA and gets paid very well to do it.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Spies had a really good chance of winning last weeks race if he hadn't taken the detour at the start of the race.

Texas boy does good!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I knew Ben was good but I thought He would at least struggle a little! A lot of WSBK teams are really nervous right now.

Go Ben!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Yep, well done, that man.

I haven't seen the 2nd race yet, but the rest of the time, he didn't put a wheel wrong.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
Mladin is in the US by choice. He could go back to Europe any time he'd like but he prefers to dominate AMA and gets paid very well to do it.
Yeah. Mladin is exactly where he wants to be. He doesn't have to travel 8,000 miles a week, everybody he has to deal with speaks English. Between racing, endorsements and his own businesses he's making well over seven million dollars per year. Poor bastard!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I stayed up till midnight last night to watch race 1 on Speed...what the hell kind of scheduling is that? I couldn't stay awake for race 2, but figured it was better than 50% that Spies would get the double.

I love how he put some distance between himself and Biaggi and Haga as soon as he had the lead.

And how about Biaggi on the Aprilia?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Biaggi is looking great on that thing. When he finds the extra 1% (and Spies gets run off the track again) he'll get a win. Spies has them all scratching their heads right now..
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I stayed up till midnight last night to watch race 1 on Speed...what the hell kind of scheduling is that? I couldn't stay awake for race 2, but figured it was better than 50% that Spies would get the double.

I love how he put some distance between himself and Biaggi and Haga as soon as he had the lead.

And how about Biaggi on the Aprilia?

Til Midnight? They were on Saturday during the afternoon, back to back.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Have you guys noticed the anger of the other podium guys. Haga is PISSED! Biaggi is so disgusted that he refused to say ben's name in the first race interview, and they didnt even show him in race 3. I re-state; the rest of the racing world doesnt like the US guys. Did you hear jonathon green dis jason pridmore last year? "welcome to world SBK with the big boys" etc. No offense to him but pridmore was over even in AMA. Look at hodgson (SBK champ) who came to ama & flopped (or at least didnt win) AMERICA-WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah it's really amusing to see their reaction. That's half the fun is all the other people he's pissing off along the way
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Have you guys noticed the anger of the other podium guys. Haga is PISSED! Biaggi is so disgusted that he refused to say ben's name in the first race interview, and they didnt even show him in race 3. I re-state; the rest of the racing world doesnt like the US guys. Did you hear jonathon green dis jason pridmore last year? "welcome to world SBK with the big boys" etc. No offense to him but pridmore was over even in AMA. Look at hodgson (SBK champ) who came to ama & flopped (or at least didnt win) AMERICA-WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!
I think you're reading way too much into this.

Colin Edwards has always seemed to have a lot of fan support in Europe. And I'd have to say the same for Nicky Haden from some of the Brit mags I've read. Most of the Nicky haters are here in the US. He's gotten alot more respect over there, I think, because so many Americans judge him or are embarrassed by his accent. All you have do is listen to the guy to see he really "gets" the technical part of the sport, too. The Euros tend to accept his accent/grammar quirks as just "local color", I think.

And one of the announcers at the Qatar WSBK race was literally gushing admiration for Ben Spies, talking about how he (the announcer) had lived & gone to school in Texas.

So I think this "the world hates us " stuff is a misperception. Of course there is a lot of nationalistic pride in WSBK and MotoGP, but I think the rest of the world is pretty fair to the American competitors.

Now when we become arrogant about how the US is so much better than the rest of the world... well, I'm sure that can **** some people off.... and rightly so.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
I think you're reading way too much into this.

Colin Edwards has always seemed to have a lot of fan support in Europe. And I'd have to say the same for Nicky Haden from some of the Brit mags I've read. Most of the Nicky haters are here in the US. He's gotten alot more respect over there, I think, because so many Americans judge him or are embarrassed by his accent. All you have do is listen to the guy to see he really "gets" the technical part of the sport, too. The Euros tend to accept his accent/grammar quirks as just "local color", I think.

And one of the announcers at the Qatar WSBK race was literally gushing admiration for Ben Spies, talking about how he (the announcer) had lived & gone to school in Texas.

So I think this "the world hates us " stuff is a misperception. Of course there is a lot of nationalistic pride in WSBK and MotoGP, but I think the rest of the world is pretty fair to the American competitors.

Now when we become arrogant about how the US is so much better than the rest of the world... well, I'm sure that can **** some people off.... and rightly so.
I agree.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it is Nicky Hayden's accent per se people look down on. It's his hillbillie grammar. He ain't got and don't have no unnerstandin' of English grammar. Doesn't mean **** to me. He's a bright guy, great racer and knows what he's doing. Some people just get hung up on the fact that he speaks American hillbillie instead of proper English.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I am basing my observations on all the europeans that live here in NYC. They just feel that since they have been doing racing for more generations that they are better. It also doesnt help that nascar is our idea of auto racing, they compare that to F1 and rally cars & laugh. They are somewhat right about that. They also take biking way more seriously in euro land. both on the street with the respect two wheelers get and the zillions of fans at the races
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
a couple of good races... ben is the man !

hagga always has an excuse; but he did beat max on a slower bike.

tim
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the euro-place I like to go for racing news. There are always lots of great quotes & pics.

http://www.crash.net/

They even cover NASCAR, but don't cover AMA. Don't get that, really. If I had to pick one auto raciing series to watch it would be V8 Supercars in Australia.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
I don't think it is Nicky Hayden's accent per se people look down on. It's his hillbillie grammar. He ain't got and don't have no unnerstandin' of English grammar. Doesn't mean **** to me. He's a bright guy, great racer and knows what he's doing. Some people just get hung up on the fact that he speaks American hillbillie instead of proper English.
Nicky's accent is part of his personality, and I think it makes him more likable.

Some Brits, like James Tosland, don't exactly speak the "Queen's English" either.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I was thinking, and biaggi must be ready to blow his brains out. he starts off as the top dog in moto gp and then along comes this phenom kid on a yamaha(eventually), and just rolls right over him and everybody else. ok, after enough seasons of getting pounded on but the brat with the big bang I-4, he leaves and goes to WSBK where he can once again be top dog, and...what just happened? oh ****.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
The old Roman Emperor never achieved the glory his title implied and to be no less upstaged by an Urbino peasant. So the fallen but still dangerous emperor may be rearing his head above all but cowboy from a mythical place also shaped like an even bigger boot.

Originally Posted by swordfish
I was thinking, and biaggi must be ready to blow his brains out. he starts off as the top dog in moto gp and then along comes this phenom kid on a yamaha(eventually), and just rolls right over him and everybody else. ok, after enough seasons of getting pounded on but the brat with the big bang I-4, he leaves and goes to WSBK where he can once again be top dog, and...what just happened? oh ****.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:54 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
max hasn't been 'top dog' since he went to the 500cc gp bike. he was fast on the 250's 'cause he rode them FOREVER.

rossi had his number... those were fun races ! just like seti, fast rider but lacks the mental game to be on top.

tim
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
The old Roman Emperor never achieved the glory his title implied and to be no less upstaged by an Urbino peasant. So the fallen but still dangerous emperor may be rearing his head above all but cowboy from a mythical place also shaped like an even bigger boot.
HUH!!!

Are we waxing poetic on the Forum now?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:13 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Did you have any doubts? Anyone who can beat Mladin, who himself could beat these guys, is for real.
I definitely believe that banging fairings with Mladin in the AMA series prepped Spies for the big stage...

Last edited by oahu hawk; 03-17-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I don't think Haga's pissed, I think frustrated is more like it...he's mentioned a couple of times now that he's ten years older than Spies, maybe he feels his long overdue championship slipping away...he could also be second guessing his move from Yamaha to Ducati...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I agree. Everyone thought that this was Haga's year to win it with Bayliss out of the picture. Then out of nowhere this rookie is kicking everyone's ***. I predict Biachii will crash Spies out of a race well before this season is over. He did it to Haga two years ago effectively costing him the championship, and has already run Ben off the track in Phillip Island race 1. Yeah, Ben would have won that race too, judging by his race-end lap times.

Last edited by jbaxx; 03-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Qatar WSBK results...