Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

MotoGP at Laguna Seca...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Squid

pacificman is on a distinguished road
MotoGP at Laguna Seca...

Hello All,
I am trying to plan a trip to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP weekend, I live in Southern Cal, roughly 5 hours away. Has anyone gone to this event? I am hoping to get some insight into the logistics, the lodging, the potential for scalping tickets, best viewing areas and the vibe in general. I would really appreciate any and all info regarding anyones experience at this event.
Thanks very much....
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
went in 2005 and 2006...in '05, the traffic in and out was horrendous Sat & Sun...in 2006, they tried to solve the traffic problem by busing folks in from a college campus, that was great going in, but a nightmare (in horrible heat) to get on the buses to leave...last year was supposeably better...read about it here:

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...way/index.html

the track itself is great as you are not confined to the grandstands, just walk all over the facility and stop and watch the racing at your leisure...watching the bikes come down the corkscrew just a few feet away is awesome...and if you can, catch the start on the hill overlooking the front straight, nothing like the sight/sound of 20 or so MotoGP bikes hitting near 170 mph going into turn 1...gives me goosebumps thinking about it...

in '05 lodging was plentifull and reasonable...in '06 it filled up fast and there was price gouging...

if you go, make sure you get a paddock pass...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I'd start calling motels tomorrow. And be willing to pay a lot or "commute" from motel to track.

My plans have changed and I won't make it this year, but when I was checking cheap motels (Motel 6 etc.) a couple months ago, everything within about 45 minutes of the track was already booked up for that weekend.

The vibe at Laguna is very cool. Racing/sportbike enthusiast friendy cool. No choppers, no tatoo covered drunks in Kaiser Wilhelm II helmets.

Last edited by RK1; 05-05-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Traffic in and out sucks it true. Call laguna and see if they have any more camping spots left on track. I do it every year and its great! I stay over till late on Sunday at my camp then leave after I have dinner there and the traffic dies. If there is no camping to be had ontrack and all the motels are full you can try getting a camping spot just north a bit in Santa Cruz at one of the State Beaches. And for sure get the Paddock pass. My kid got to meet Rossi and have him sign some stuff in there. If you can get there on Friday or Saturday its really easy to talk to the racers.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I rode up to Laguna Seca with a group of friends in both '84 and '85. Obviously a lot has changed since then (Kenny Roberts was still riding), but it was great.

We stayed in Salinas in '84. Close enough and cheaper. Stayed at the Carmel Valley Inn in '85. Very close to the track, but for sure it is booked up probably a year in advance and no doubt very expensive nowadays.

Well worth it just for the ride up and back. Have fun.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
doesn't look to be as crowded this year...my daughter and her boyfriend just ordered tickets online last month, and found a spot for their small RV...I think the Indy MotoGP is stealing some of Lagunas' thunder...