Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Bye Bye OEM's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Cool Bye Bye OEM's

A very interesting interview with Honda's Ray Blank on Superbikeplanet.com..let me cut to the chase!

While it is still early in the game it appears that the OEM's will basically pull out of the new format that DMG has decided to take.

They will not field 4 factory level Daytona Superbikes per manufacturer, they will coninue to build 600cc and the field will become factory "B" Teams and privateers on dumbed down FX equipment. It's prtty clear that DMG must have know the OEM's would balk at doubling the size and expense of their efforts so in effect they gave the OEM's their walking papers.

It is unclear what level of support the OEM's will make to the new "Literbike" class (dumbed down Superbike), they may go through 09 to honor contracts with riders that usually are one year but in some cases 2 years. After that it's a guess but I believe they will go into a hiatus similar to the seventies.

What this may mean is that given the timing of the changes whatever is in the pipeline for 09 models is probably going to come on line but don't look for much new after that. The OEM's bring new models out if they need to, but if there is no showcase for them they just go to refinements of existing models.

To give you an example Honda was perfectly content with the CB750 and it's variants for 10 or 11 years. It wasn't until the original Superbike Series came along and they weren't competative with Ducati, BMW, and Kawaski that they took a look and built the DOHC CB750F series and as the Superbike wars heated up all of the development of the 80's and 90's came to bear.

When you think about it this may well be a boon to the OEM's, they can efectively get out of the expense of racing in an economic down cycle with a very weak dollar,spend next to nothing over the next 5+ years on refinements and tweaks to motorcycles that are in reality much more competent than 98% of the riders riding them.

As I said in an earlier thread I'll be monitoring the crash/development of all this in the coming months.

Last edited by HRCA#1; 04-25-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I think it's a bit early to start crying wolf. Both parties are likely just starting the process of coming to an eventual agreement.

IN terms of the effect on future sportbike development, remember there is world outside the US and development will continue if for no other reason than to feed these markets. The OEM's will not produce old-tech models for the US and hi-tech for everywhere else. The market has changed a great deal since the old SOHC Honda 750 ruled the roost.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
So, I'm wondering now (since DMG owns Moto-St) that they are going to promote Moto-St ala NASCAR and leave Superbike racing to WSB and the like?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
moto st will be a part of the ama weekend
Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I found the comments comparing AMA and NASCAR pretty interesting.

Good read. Thanks for passing it along.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Believe me when I say I'm not trying to cry wolf..I'm just giving my opinion of what has been said publically and privately. While Mikstr may be right in that there could be some common ground found it will not be with the proposed "mandated" format. I sincerely believe it would be DMG that would have to go back to the OEM's with a major re-think of their plan.

It is very clear that the oem's will not field 4 bike teams for something called Daytona Superbike if that minimum is dropped there could be room for discussion if not kiss the OEM's goodbye it is not worth it to them to increase their costs 100% to esentially get what DMG threw out the window.. that is 600 Supersport or a dumbed down FX class.

As far as world markets the factories make what they believe they can sell in sufficient quanities or to meet a specific need. If there is no need for a new tech 200hp computer controlled and emmissions restricted firebreathing 600 they won't build it just to prove they can(well they might for show purposes).

The factories will and always have built market specific bikes. Witness the 250/400cc screamers for the domestic and Asin markets and some of the trick RVF models that went to Europe but never came hear. Even the Varado which has been in Europe for 2 or 3 years and now in Canada has not come here. Reason it's a glorified Transalp and that never caught on in this market.

Also remember that internationaly the factories have pulled out of WSB, and BSB, German and Australian Superbike are more closely akin to Supersport than they are Superbike. So again why incurr more expense if the racing is good and there is no reason to throw money at it.

I also stand by my earlier comment on CB750's. Honda was completely content to offer BNG's (Bold New Grahics) for years until there came a time when they needed new models and the reason for that was the Birth and Growth of Superbike in the US.

I am not a negative guy quite the contrary and yes there is still time but I firmly believe Suzuki and Honda have given their answer and Yamaha and Kawaski will follow suit..so the ball is back in DMG's court let's watch and see what they do with it.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/550670.html

Here's an interesting interview on the topic with Josh Hayes...