Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

New US Superbike Series Announced

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
New US Superbike Series Announced

Not really a shocker to those who have been paying attention. But will it suck as bad as AMA racing has sucked for the past few years? Will anyone besides a Suzuki rider be able to win? I sure hope so.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Sep/080910ussb.htm

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/...910ussbfaq.htm
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
wow!

so this means no more ama racing right? seams like USSB will remove a lot of the politics from American racing as it currently is.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
so this means no more ama racing right?
i guess we'll have to see what DMG's next move is. probably gonna have two competing series if things go this way.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
The real key now is the track owners..who will they side with the OEM's that actually subsidize them to some extent or DMG that wants to redifine the sport into glorified club racing because after all if they sound fast the crowd won't care!

The second shoe to fall is TV..do they want to turn their backs on OEM advertising to support the Emporor Edmondson new "show" (the risk here is that the real owner is the France family which owns Daytona and NASCAR)..their in a tough spot. I don't think speed TV could exist without OEM ad's or Nascar!

The die is cast stay tuned.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

yeah this is gonna get REAL interesting now
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
If USSB gives OEMs, teams, sponsers, riders and fans what they want (obviously no small feet), I think a little advertisment would go a long way. My friends that ride try to catch supersport/bike and 800cc moto gp races when they're on but NONE of my friends that don't ride even know people race bikes on TV. If NASCAR can be the most popular sport in the USA I think motorcycle racing could really get a solid fan base among people totally new to the sport if they show people how sweat it is. Better crashes, faster, (more skill IMO), and hopefully some competition for the pole position. can't beat it!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm beting USSB will come out on top.
We need top-level Superbike racing in this country. I mean real Superbikes - crankshaft mods, con rods, ECU's, the whole bit. More like world Superbike. Hopefully traction control will go away, for the most part.

I'm not sure how the probelms of track safety in the US will be resolved. It won't be, if real Superbike racing goes away.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
HEY, it said PLAYBOY is involved.....Bunnies on bikes?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Squid

VTR69
I like the SBK format of 1000 cc Superbikes and 600 Supersport series. Focusing the top talent in only two races makes for good racing. I wish the USSB well.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM
SuperBike

If you go into the Racing threads you will find my opinions regarding all of this going back a couple of months(it's funny they don't stay up for long I guess most of the forum doesn't really care) and that may be the biggest problem or as DMG see's it the reason for the changes.

To quote an old movie "what we have here is a failure to communicate". The Emporor Edmondson certainly didn't communicate with the OEM's , rather he dictated how it was going to be. On the flip side the OEM's specifically Honda and Suzuki did not communicate back, they simply rejected it all out of hand.

This has led to a gigantic pissing contest that benefits no one. However all that aside lines have been drawn and it remains to be seen who will line up where.

It's interesting that Yamaha has indicated that will be participating in the DMG series, they say this with neither rider (deSalvo or Bostrum) under contract for next year. Which implies they could do it on the cheap and get great results/press for dominating the DMG series(probably the only way diSalvo could ever get on the podium)

Alternately the new series at best can field 8 or 9 bikes plus supersport riders with what purse I don't know (will it measure up to DMG's $100K per event).

Both sides have their plusses and minusses but the fact is they should be talking and compromising and that hasn't happened from day one and in my view that has more to do with DMG than the OEM's despite what the scribes at Roadracing World say.

I still believe that the track owners group IIRC (or something like that) will play a major role in what develops and I believe their leaning towards the OEM maketing dollars. If DMG can't secure the tracks they don't have a series unless they go to place like Laconia or Watkins Glen where no pro rider will go especially in the rain.

Well the wine is kicking in so I'll check back later.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Why do you think they took Mladin's bike apart?? all politics!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
This is going to end up just like indy car did in the 90's it is going to kill it! Just not enough fans to go around so Nascar wins again!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
SuperBike

The teardown of Mladins bike was a pretty obvious smack down of Suzuki generally and Mdladin specificaly because of his outspoken views about DMG's cavalier attitude about rider safety and his obvious disgust at the proposed changes.

DMG claims that the crank was visibly different when they pulled the left crankcase cover. Unless you believe that suddenly after these past 3 or 4 seasons Suzuki suddenly put in a cheater crank then this has been discoverable for years. I guess the AMA chose not to discover it and DMG decided to discover it after Matt sounded off.

This is the kind of politics/pressure that the Emporor Edmondson like to weild to keep those "whiny racers" in line. He wants them to race in the rain regardless of rider safety. He has claimed track improvements where none have been made(Mid-Ohio) and wants to see a return to Laconia (where top racers refuse to ride ask DuHamel).

His attitude towards race fans is that we're basically sheep and will watch whatever "show" he chooses because we don't really care. As long as the bikes look cool and sound fast we won't mind if their 2-4 seconds a lap slower in the front and 20 seconds a lap off the pace in the back. We'll still pay to see the show.

Let's prove him wrong by boycotting the DMG series and making it a point to attend a least one USSB race in 2009.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

I think the manufacturers have been the most pig headed here. Especially Ray Blank of Honda. Take a look at this article on RoadRacing World. It seems every time DMG made some kind of concession, the mfgs would turn around and say they want something else.

I think the biggest roadblock for all of them is the type of bike that the different factions want to promote. Mfgs want to have the premier class be 1000cc+ bikes and DMG wants the main focus on a variety of different bikes that are restricted/modded into a competitive playing field a la Formula Extreme. I don't know if they can have both without dilution, which is pretty much what we've got now. And what we've got now pretty much sucks.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=33607
Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 AM
SuperBike

Believe me when I say I'm no fan of Ray Blank he is an *** but then again so is Edmondson. While it's true that the OEM's have changed their demands over the course of the last few months, their overiding issue is and has been that they had a deal with AMA through 2009 and they wanted DMG to honor it..DMG chose not to!

Some of the background on this goes back to Japan. None of the OEM's can act unilaterally without approval from their Japanese "handlers". Ray Blank is the public face of American Honda he is the Senoir Vice President and his cube is right next to his Japanese Boss who he answers to. The same is true of the other OEM's.

The Japanese for their part are strong believers in building consensus amoung all parties and they don't like or understand someone like Edmondson dictating what they future of racing will be or being told that if they don't like it too bad.

I think it can be fairly said that without the Japanese OEM's motorcycling as we know it would not exist. They built this market in the 60's and have supported it and racing ever since so who is Edmondson to tell them their not needed.

It's DMG's attitude that has brought this brinkmanship to a head.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

yeah ya know i was kinda wondering what is going on behind the curtains in Japan with regard to this mess.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't watch american motorcycle racing anymore. until recently, it was just the matt and ben show. plus I can't stand the comentators. freddy spencer is fine. but that jackass with him that know nothing about bikes should shut the hell up and stay that way. and greg white... oh my god. where is his "supervisor"? he needs to go back to the Special people home. seriously, their voices and retarded comments finally drove me off. now I only watch WSBK, and motoGP. at least those brit announcers don't patronize the viewer. greg white's like, "this is a motor cycle. it has 2 wheels..."
Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

nice interview today with the president of Infineon Raceway. gives some perspective as to where the tracks might be going...

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34138
Old 09-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Just add a "shut the **** up and run what you brung/he with the biggest bank account wins" class to the existing show. This is what the manufactures all seem to be asking for.
Well give it to em'. Then maybe they won't kill our sport in the process.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Superstock

pigwings
HONDA

Originally Posted by falcondrvr
I think the manufacturers have been the most pig headed here.
Not just in the US. Look what's happened to MotoGP since Honda initiated the 800cc Downsizing-for-Dani minibikes. Mostly F1 type racing now.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
The teardown of Mladins bike was a pretty obvious smack down of Suzuki generally and Mdladin specificaly because of his outspoken views about DMG's cavalier attitude about rider safety and his obvious disgust at the proposed changes.

DMG claims that the crank was visibly different when they pulled the left crankcase cover. Unless you believe that suddenly after these past 3 or 4 seasons Suzuki suddenly put in a cheater crank then this has been discoverable for years. I guess the AMA chose not to discover it and DMG decided to discover it after Matt sounded off.

This is the kind of politics/pressure that the Emporor Edmondson like to weild to keep those "whiny racers" in line. He wants them to race in the rain regardless of rider safety. He has claimed track improvements where none have been made(Mid-Ohio) and wants to see a return to Laconia (where top racers refuse to ride ask DuHamel).

His attitude towards race fans is that we're basically sheep and will watch whatever "show" he chooses because we don't really care. As long as the bikes look cool and sound fast we won't mind if their 2-4 seconds a lap slower in the front and 20 seconds a lap off the pace in the back. We'll still pay to see the show.

Let's prove him wrong by boycotting the DMG series and making it a point to attend a least one USSB race in 2009.
when you say Laconia, I am assuming you mean Loudon, New Hampshire? That track has such a shitty transition from the back straight into the right turn going up the hill the almost every rider's rear end fish tails when they hit it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV6Md...eature=related
i talk about the turn at 35 seconds in the video.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
SuperBike

Your right I do mean Loudon, sorry I'm old school haven't been there since the early 80's when I was helping Greg Smrz on his Honda 500cc triple. In those days their was a short chute leading to the right hander going up the hill. Greg crashed there in practice and when I went to retrieve the bike the Harley fans lining the fence were throwing lit matches at the bike trying to catch it on fire. Great place to want to hold a race?!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
lol i dont think those type of people go there now. Plus they would get dealt with by security.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:16 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by swordfish
now I only watch WSBK, and motoGP. at least those brit announcers don't patronize the viewer.
I'm laughing my *** off... I will die if I hear those euro guys say "he's absolutely flying" or "you could throw a blanket over them" again!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Dani showing his prowess and skill...

Originally Posted by pigwings
Not just in the US. Look what's happened to MotoGP since Honda initiated the 800cc Downsizing-for-Dani minibikes. Mostly F1 type racing now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Rcrqy0dzs
Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
And all I will say about this is... what ever WSBK is doing, we should just do that. The racing is great and the current formula brought WSBK back from the brink of death just a couple or three short years ago.

Yeah, I know the world stage is different than the US. Just saying their formula should be looked at seriously.