Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

ZX10 USD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:11 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Pads are a huge factor. When I went with vesrah rjl pads it was overwhelming. Not a big deal on the street but had several high speed front end tucks on the track since my brain used the old amount of brakes and the front washed.

Those pads are not even available for the stock hawk calipers TMK.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Went for a shall we say rapid ride today.

What a revelation, the corner speed and stability of the bike has increased dramatically.

The brakes, man these are killers compared to the f4i set up that I had. At first I was over braking like there was no tomorrow, then towards the end of the ride it all clicked, one great set up that I intend to fully explore as time goes on.

The pads are definitely bedded and are absolutely fabulous. I am so happy , it's like having a new bike that you instantly feel at home on.

After pushing the bike today I now realise that the back end whilst acceptable could do with a new shock, it's not bad, just not as good as the front so now it's time to research my options on that front.

I rate this mod as up there with the lightened flywheel insofar as the amount of influence it's had on the bike is major, just like the change in the bike after the engine work.

On to the next mod, funny thing is that I thought that the USD swap would probably be the last in a long list of mods, however I now realise that as this bike responds to changes that there are bound to be more.

YAHOO !
I am happy someone else can now confirm what I have been saying for some time now about Zcoo pads. Best pads I have tried, and I have tried quite a few of the highly rated ones (Vesrah RJL and SRJL, HRC hard bite, Carbone Lorraine CL60), in addition to some others and Zcoo are tops (I would still be using them if I wasn't running Braketech CMC rotors - considering how expensive and rare these rotors are, I am using the mfr's recommended pads, Ferodo XRACs). Maybe others supposedly looking for top pads will now pay attention.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I want to hear the difference. On my cbr1000 brakes its like a 1 finger stop from any speed.
Same thing, with my CBR1000RR setup stopping from any speed and I can endow the bike with one finger, I got so used to using one finger that I'm getting in trouble on my other bikes after the VTR
Old 03-08-2017, 04:12 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I am already looking to buy a spare set of ZCOO pads for the Triumph calipers to have on the shelf.

I have read a lot about them and most of it very positive.

They are not the cheapest however, for the performance that I have experienced with them already, I am too scared to think of using anything else.

The feel and feedback from them is unreal !

I thought that the Tuono brakes were good, this setup ***** all over it for power and feel !

Thanks Mikstr , once again your advice has paid off .

Cheers
Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I am happy someone else can now confirm what I have been saying for some time now about Zcoo pads. Best pads I have tried, and I have tried quite a few of the highly rated ones (Vesrah RJL and SRJL, HRC hard bite, Carbone Lorraine CL60), in addition to some others and Zcoo are tops (I would still be using them if I wasn't running Braketech CMC rotors - considering how expensive and rare these rotors are, I am using the mfr's recommended pads, Ferodo XRACs). Maybe others supposedly looking for top pads will now pay attention.
It's been a while since I posted but I am still kicking. Some may remember I picked up last July a new 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 I've been busy modifying and riding (10,000 miles last year) but I still managed about 5,000 on the VTR despite it being down due to defective EBC front brake pads that ruined one set of newish OEM rotors and messed up a second set of rotors before I figured out it was the pads (doh!). The VTR is not complaining about being a treated like a forgotten child because with 106,000 miles it's happy for reserve duty for now (two spare engines waiting under wraps keeps the original 3/97 motor hanging in there with less than 5% leakage!).

Anyway, as I'm old and thus stuck in the 70's and 80's, I have maintained the OEM forks albeit revalved and resprung (mated with a Penske 2-way remote with adjustable length on the rear) with F4i calipers and EBC V-lite rotors front and rear. I have the EBC HH+ pads but have not been happy with them but think I'm having an issue with the RVT Sp2 MC unless even after a complete seal swap, the calipers are actually the issue (I may go back to the Sp1 MC just as a test). I get a slight initial softness or delay with IMO excessive lever travel. It seems to clear up for a couple hundred miles if I clean the rotors with Scotchbrite pads and 91% isopropyl alcohol but maybe I'm dreaming about that last bit as I have no short term memory. I've been looking for a well matched radial MC for quite a while that won't interfere with the fairing (without trimming it) as I'm currently running modified Danmoto 3D bars (after many years first with the Helibars then Tommaselli 3-axis bars).

My question is should I try the Vesrah RJL or ZCOO (which pad model type?) and where from and for about how much?

I'm behind schedule due to maintenance required on my FJ-09 on my VTR winter projects (install the Factory Pro EVO shift star, roller arm & spring which took 14 months to be made and shipped, Erik's 1# lightened flywheel, weld the right case guard that cracked due to vibration, and rebuild the petcock), so new front pads are just one more (relatively minor if costly) task.

BTW, what pads to you run on the rear? I really liked the SBS Low Friction (sub GG rated) pads but they are no longer available and I have not found an equivalent.

Last edited by skokievtr; 03-08-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
My question is should I try the Vesrah RJL or ZCOO (which pad model type?) and where from and for about how much?
Vesrah RJL are an excellent pad (as are the SRJL), but not quite to the standard of the Zcoos. You can pick up the latter on eBay by doing a search and cross-referencing the calipers used. Not only do they work well in the dry, they are also effective in the wet and are said to be easy on rotors (didn`t have them on long enough to fully verify the latter, however). They are expensive but worth every penny IMO.

as for an MC, a stock Brembo unit from a later model Ducati (NOT a Panigale, however or other bike with M50 calipers) works very well with F4i c alipers

Last edited by mikstr; 03-08-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 PM
SuperBike

Thanks. As I need pads that perform well in the rain, as I am no sissy motorcyclist (a Shootist not a poser Gunslinger) who only rides when the sun is out, winds are calm and the temps are above 65. Now I'm not insane like Joe, no insult intended...

It says for cbr1000rr but looks right/

HONDA CBR 1000 RR 2004 2007 PLAQUETTES DE FREIN ZCOO RACING AVANT | eBay

or these?

HONDA CBR 1000 RR SP 2014 PLAQUETTES DE FREIN ZCOO RACING AVANT | eBay

Or these, $174 for 2 pair?!

ZCOO : Brake Pads Type C [ZRM-N004C]

or

ZCOO : Brake Pads Ceramic Sintered [ZRM-N004]

What about Dunlopad, I used to like them?

The OEM Honda banjo bolts are 10mm x 1.25mm but Brembo banjo bolts are usually 10mm x 1.0mm correct?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

which calipers are you running?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

Non sissy is good.

Like "crazy Joe" Andrea Iannone in moto gp
Attached Thumbnails ZX10 USD conversion-maniac.jpg  

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 03-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
which calipers are you running?
per post #35, F4i calipers and EBC V-lite rotors

same same pads as sp1/2, etc..
Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

N004 series are definitely what you need. IIRC, the C suffix (ie. ZRM-N004C) version is for wave-type rotors
Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM
SuperBike

The EBC V-Lite rotors ARE wave rotors. Where did you buy yours from and for how muchy?

And will I only need one finger to flatten my eyeballs on the inside of my face shield with them?

Nity night
Old 03-09-2017, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

The power is amazing, but even better is the control and feedback these pads offer. I bought mine though a chap named Simon Percival (via the Speedzilla web site), who now sells on eBay with the name hardpartsjapan. As for what I paid, sadly I forget... I do recall they weren't cheap, but the best seldom is....
Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 AM
SuperBike

After experiencing these pads, and taking into account the last few bikes through the "Cave"

Ducati 848 with standard brembo

2007 Aprillia Tuono with standard Brembo.

2014 Aprillia Tuono RSV4 with standard Brembo

1986 Bimota Db1 with standard Brembo

You start to get the picture, these pads are "Unreal" for performance and feedback !

I have a set on the way for when I wear out the ones that I got from Mikstr.

Take it on board that these pads are the answer to your braking requirements no matter what set up you have.

Not cheap but outstanding performance compared to standard issue.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

Ken

From where and for how much did you obtain the ZCOO and were they the ZRM-N004C?

Thx
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 AM
MotoGP

Forgive me for gloating... but I told you so

as for Skokie, they are not the N004-series as they are a totally different caliper from the F4i (ie. Daytona 675 Nissins are a monoblock design and radially mounted)... same material, different shape...
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 AM
SuperBike

Gracias
Old 03-31-2017, 05:10 AM
SuperBike

I have now fitted the Triumph master ,

I had to do some major makeover work as the right upper fork tube was bent causing the seal to blow.

Had to buy a complete right fork leg as it was cheaper than buying a tube. A bike shop that I use made a new fork up for me using the original cartridge , adjusters and lower fork leg.

A new seal and some oil and hey presto she is going back together. I bled the brakes and the lever is now very firm ! One finger here we come. I am interested to experience the difference that the matched master makes out on the road.

Bike has been off the road for about 2 weeks while all this was happening.

Going for a ride to the nations capital, Canberra on Sunday with an old mate from school who rides a Moto Guzzi and a few of his Guzzi mates so should be a good test !

Pics of course !

Name:  DE408BCB-D5C2-428D-BA9E-961D6475E485_zpsedgni3p2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  232.8 KB

I had to move the Kill/ Starter switch inboard as the Triumph master is a funny shape, it's a lot bigger than the standard one and certainly takes up a lot more room.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 AM
MotoGP

Awesome man keep us updated on the performance difference.

Oh and how is the riding position compared to stock? Looks like lower bars than stock.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM
SuperBike

Joe,

I took a lot of measurements before I removed the original bars and have set the new ones to the same position.

Last time I rode the bike it felt just the same as far as the ergonomics go. Lucky I took the measurements.

Now I have to fit the fairing to make sure the reservoir clears the fairing. I used the original Triumph mounting bracket and modified it to fit . I have a new multi adjustable mounting bracket on it's way as well as a smaller rizoma reservoir but for now the original Triumph kit will have to do.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

All back together.

Name:  AF2F4EF8-91C0-4978-A3E1-D55F9D8B1ABB_zpslnw8qqrl.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  225.5 KB

The brake reservoir clears the fairing!

Name:  07F47A79-C466-490E-8AEC-248AF287FC4C_zpsqoumbhdn.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  248.6 KB

Name:  27CBD3E6-1784-4235-A02D-C8515F98B97B_zpsvrzrptmz.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  220.7 KB

Will try and get a short ride in this arvo to make any necessary adjustments before the big ride tomorrow.

Hopefully all will be well.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:42 PM
MotoGP

What riser are the apex? 3" or 4"?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 PM
SuperBike

4"
Old 03-31-2017, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, unobtanium. I should've gotten those instead of the 3" I have. I guess I could sell the 3" after.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 AM
SuperBike

The saga continues.

Rode the bike after fitting the Triumph master and after about a mile the front brakes lock on, bread the master and all is well. Continue on and the same thing happens.

Researched this problem and came to the conclusion that the master is faulty and the brake fluid can't return so it boils and locks the calipers.

Refitted the 05 VTR master and went for a 300 mile ride today.

Man, this bike rocks. The front end is superb and the brakes are just amazing. I have decided to leave the VTR master on for now until I work out what is wrong with the Triumph master. Either way I don't care as the brakes are so powerful that I don't think any other master would make a difference. Makes the F4i setup I had feel lacking.

Now I am thinking about an undertail radiator and a few other things.

I saw these bikes at an Italian festival in Canberra today.

This caught my eye!

Name:  3E93C2A4-DF2E-4D5B-9D7D-5001D2E5526D_zps2ivhpl3c.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  272.5 KB

The whole bike,

Name:  A0F376D2-91BF-438F-B005-0F9BE0F780A0_zps5jg0tdrm.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  312.3 KB

Nicely done I thought.

Check out this 1950s Guzzi, upside down fork although very spindly and a cantilever swing arm.

Name:  8606D6C9-6993-49BF-B976-F512AF487BB0_zpsz1wvxhlq.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  368.3 KB

See all the Ducatis in the background, there was also a genuine green frame there but my I pad ran out of battery.

A very tasty 850 Guzzi

Name:  87E30FE0-C602-4CBF-AFF7-1D61BEC14556_zpsdeqhygtq.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  345.9 KB

Name:  32075FBB-E5BC-4390-A7AE-BF4C81D4BF2B_zpsb6him3uc.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  354.2 KB

A good day out and some interesting machinery that has given me some ideas for the future.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

regarding your master, is the lever the OEM piece or an aftermarket unit, more specifically a (cheap) Chinese copy? I ask as there have been instances where people have bought one of the latter only to have this problem, traced to improper tolerances/dimensions. Just something to check out. Jack Flash had a similar problem a couple years back and we solved it by loosening off the small threaded connector link.

hope this helps
Old 04-04-2017, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

I bought the levers from the States.

They are not a big name brand and are probably the cause of the problem.

I will get another better set at some stage and see what happens.

Other things like a better back shock are the priority now.

Looking at YSS, Nitron, Ikon, and Wilbers.

More $$ that I don't have at the moment.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM
MotoGP

One of Jamie's re-worked F4i shocks would be a good and decently priced alternative (all who have them rave about them)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM
SuperBike

Radial MC

Guzzi with Baloney Slicer Flywheel a 500?

Nice day down under huh? Snow is in the forecast here for tomorrow...

Made it USA levers, tell me it ain't so Joe?

Will the 19 RCS fit on the Dan Moto 3D bars without trimming anything?
Attached Thumbnails ZX10 USD conversion-brembo-rcs-19-mc-2.jpg   ZX10 USD conversion-brembo-19-rcs-mc-1.jpg   ZX10 USD conversion-20170125_212216.jpg   ZX10 USD conversion-20160507_121212.jpg   ZX10 USD conversion-20160507_121231.jpg  

ZX10 USD conversion-20160507_121241.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 04-04-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:41 AM
SuperBike

Hey,

Yes it was a nice day and yes the Guzzi was a 500.

The levers came from EBay USA, probably Chinese. Won't be bothering as the stock 05 Honda master does a good enough job for me and keeps everything uniform.mScared the **** out of me when the front brakes locked. Best stroppy I've ever done but had to change my undies!

As far as your question about Dan bars go I don't know ! Mine are Apex that I got from Mikstr.

Quick Reply: ZX10 USD conversion