Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Yosh-a-mutha

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
Yosh-a-*****

Just got my Yosh Titanium slip ons and find that there is no flat spot on the left lower header connection bend like there is on the stocker so the chain contacts the pipe if pushed that way pretty easily. It's adjusted right but even when loose the chain never touched the stock set up. The lower connection pipe isn't long enough by half inch to seat fully on the header pipe either. Anybody else have any of these issue with Yosh stuff ?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I haven't had a problem with the chain rubbing, but I do think the left-side pipe should be longer. Interesting..
Old 06-26-2007, 09:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
With all the different systems I've tried I've never tried Yoshi's, but add them to the list...You'd think the $ you pay that some of this **** would fit a little better...Don't fell bad lots of cursing and beating and bending to get my brand new high mount leo's to fit. I mean the brackets on the midpipes that were supposed to bolt up to the stock rearsets (which are now gilles) weren't even close. And I've had the same issue were it seemed like the midpipe wasn't able to be pushed on far enough with several systems. At least on what I've seen the standard mount mids don't have the relief, whereas the high mounts do. Not sure why this is...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Do the yoshi mids have the bracket that bolts to the rearsets? I know they're brand new but can you bend that bracket a little to allow you to push the midpipe on a little further, or if it's mounted to the outside of the rearset mount can you put it to the inside? I know I played with all of this to get mine to fit up well.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Squid

Yes, the yosh's do have a mid pipe bracket but bending or shimming it towards the center of the bike makes the pipe even closer to the chain and puts the bracket real close to the swing arm. Will talk to Yosh tech support tomorrow and see what they say too. Damn, I really like the look and sound of these things... hope I can work this out.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Squid

SD996 is on a distinguished road
same thing here

I just installed the same pipes last weekend and know exactly what you're talking about. I put the left pipe on last and had the same gap. What I did was loosen all the bolts and clamps slightly (both pipes) and gently tapped the pipe with a deadblow hammer and it went right on. Tightend everything up and its mint.

As far as the bend missing...I put a new chain on at the same time and adjusted it so it doesn't touch. The spec in the owners manual calls for a lot of play and I think mine has less than called for. I think the spec is excessive anyway.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah that's the way to put any of these aftermarket pipes on. You need some patience and a rubber mallet. Funny my leos actually fit up to the tbr header a little better than the stock header, which are supposed to be the same size...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Squid

SD, yes, I can tweak everything and force it together but that chain issue is worse if I fit those pipes tight together and all due respect but that chain slack called for in the manual is important. Too tight can stress the crap out of you counter shaft sprocket and the chain itself. Thanx for your reply though and I will pass along any info that I get from Yosh later.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Maybe if you had to fix it yourself you could take small piece of plywood and a couple of pieces of 2x4 and mark the mid pipe where you want the dent then put it on the plywood, put the 2x4 pieces on either side and mark thier position on the board. Then attach the 2x4 pieces to the board with screws, put the midpipe in there with a piece of cloth on the bottom and sides. Then c-clamp the pipe between the boards and put the dent in yourself. The idea is to support the pipe on 3 sides so you only dent it without altering any other part of the shape of the pipe. I would even pack it full of sand so you get just the amount of dent you want. Then clean all the sand out of it and put it on. A good welder can put a piece of 1/8" thick x 1 1/2" wide steel the length you need behind the mid pipe mounting bracket then you can drill a hole the correct size from the backside in the right position to move the pipe forward. You will probably get into the edge of the original hole so that's why you drill it from the backside.

It sounds like a lot of trouble but sometimes when you fix it yourself you will do a lot better job than trusting it to someone else. This way you can get it exactly like you want it. If you aren't mechanically apt get one of your friends who is to help you. Any muffler shop will do the welding for you.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

That's a possible fix but you start to think should you really need to be doing this to a yoshimura exhaust, I mean they didn't just wake up yesterday and start making these things...pretty frustrating but it goes for lots of aftermarket parts with bikes and cars.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
When you spend that much money you shouldn't have to do anything. Everything should fit perfect. But if all they do is send you another mid pipe just like the one you had or say send them yours and wait for a while it probably isn't worth the hassle. You'll do a better job yourself rather than the interest they will show in fixing one pipe.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Squid

Well, after speaking with Yosh tech support who shrugged and said send em back, I contacted exoticsportbike.com where I got em and they said no problem. Hey, for nearly 700 bucks I ain't bending pipes for these guys. I'm stuck with the shipping cost both ways but oh well, no hard feelings, live and learn. At least the seller was co-operative. There's a lot of Superhawks out there with Yosh cans, I'm sure that work and look just fine. Mine didn't.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running stock sprockets with my Yoshi cans and the chain does touch the pipe with the bike unladen but when I sit on it the chain clears the pipe. I reckon that a bigger rear sprocket might be a problem. Fitting the pipe onto the header did require a rubber mallet but I think a tight fit is better than a loose one.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Squid

A Post Script here. The seller turned out to be more trouble than they were worth to deal with on the return so I mounted them up and love the sound and will live with the imperfect fit.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
they do sound nice, don't they?