Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Yet another fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yet another fork swap

Well, I finally broke down and started buying parts for a fork swap. Didn't think I'd ever do it but we'll see how it goes. The VTR already handles well enough for me but I would like the extra stability in the fast, twisty, transition stuff.

So far this is what I've bought:

'06 1000RR forks
1000RR brakes and lines
I already have a 929 master cylinder so I'll be giving this a shot first.
I can use spacers for either 04-05 (310mm) or 06-07 (320mm) rotors. I already have 04-05 rotors so I'll probably just use those if they bolt up to the VTR wheel.
1000RR black front fender
I plan on replacing the bearings in the stock wheel and having custom spacers machined up as required to align the forks properly and get the rotors properly spaced in the calipers.

Still need:

Clip-ons - If Tomaselli makes 50mm clip-ons then those look like they have the most adjustability.
Axle and nut - should be an easy find on ebay.
CBR929RR or 954 upper and lower triple clamps w/hardware - this one is proving to be tough to find, and I'm hoping the fork spacing is close enough to allow the use of an unmolested fender and axle. I'm considering the use of the 1000RR triples but they look wide enough that they will probably cause clearance issues with fairings, etc.
Bearings and races for the above triples.

Additionally, I've acquired an extra 900RR and VTR swingarms and will be grafting the 900RR brace onto the VTR swingarm, adding spools from Pitbull, and having the whole thing powdercoated black. This will be more of a winter project and will probably not be done before the forks. I'm going to take the major upgrades a step at a time and thoroughly evaluate and tune the bike to determine the effectiveness of each. I'll be doing my best to document the progression (and pitfalls) of each. Stay tuned!

G-out!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
sounds exciting greg. I'd really like to know the effect of the swingarm changes - I've considered that myself but have zero welding knowledge. If you are open for making two at the same time, I'd be happy to ship some parts to you
As for the forks - they are a big improvement both in terms of stability but more importantly adjustability and compliance over the stock units despite mods to them.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I don't weld. I have a buddy that'll be doing that for me. It'd probably be cheaper and easier to find someone local to you if you're really interested in doing it. It also requires using the 900RR rear caliper bracket.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I recall seeing a swingarm for sale on eBay that had a Yamaha R1 brace welded to it, looked pretty sharp. I may be out in left field here but couldn't someone just fashion one out of aluminium stock instead of buying an entire swingarm for the sake of getting the brace off?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
when are you doing the swap?...I have the 954/929 triples with key and will so the swap this winter. I will do the R1 frontend and if things works well, I will have the 954/929 stuff available.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Squid

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
Sounds cool! Let me know how the swingarm thing goes.
Oh, BTW- Give me a buzz
Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by calitoz
when are you doing the swap?...I have the 954/929 triples with key and will so the swap this winter. I will do the R1 frontend and if things works well, I will have the 954/929 stuff available.
I want to do the swap tomorrow (!) but I don't have the parts. I need to get the fork swap done so I can evaluate and tune it this fall. Over the winter I'll have the swingarm built and then come spring I'll get it installed and tested.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I want to do the swap tomorrow (!) but I don't have the parts. I need to get the fork swap done so I can evaluate and tune it this fall. Over the winter I'll have the swingarm built and then come spring I'll get it installed and tested.

I'll take a look at it tonight to see whether the R1 front end is possible. If it is, then the triple is yours... Another way is that i don't plan to do much work until early next year so I can send you the triples. You pay for the shipping and when you're done, you can send it back to me or buy me a used (ebay) one (but shipping both way might not even justify what I suggested) its up to you. This is just so you can evaluate it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
R1 front end should fit as I recall one chap (from Germany I believe) did it (not sure what year R1 he sourced his fork from however). I also think he posted pics of it on here (it was a sharp looking blue VTR). Good luck
Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by calitoz
I'll take a look at it tonight to see whether the R1 front end is possible. If it is, then the triple is yours... Another way is that i don't plan to do much work until early next year so I can send you the triples. You pay for the shipping and when you're done, you can send it back to me or buy me a used (ebay) one (but shipping both way might not even justify what I suggested) its up to you. This is just so you can evaluate it.

Okay, PM me with details.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
For whats it's worth I was checking with Jeff Gehrs at Brake Tech and he has available Nissin aftermarket radial master cylinders 19x18 for $215.00. Thats sounds like a great deal. Good luck
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Lefin102
For whats it's worth I was checking with Jeff Gehrs at Brake Tech and he has available Nissin aftermarket radial master cylinders 19x18 for $215.00. Thats sounds like a great deal. Good luck

I got a used brembo off ebay and even for a schmuck like me it feels pretty awesome...Keep in mind they point straight forward and WILL hit the gauges. I have a set of convertibars (the right size this time)coming I'm hoping will solve the problem.

Last edited by captainchaos; 08-23-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I finally broke down and started buying parts for a fork swap.
Well it's about time!! I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, as stated previously they are much more adjustable and planted. I've also got the parts for the swing arm, now just need the time to do it, sometimes winter CAN be good.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Sounds interesting...hmm
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The fork and brakes will make a vast improvement. Not to hijack the thread, but I still like the spacers, risers and tubular bar solution to the handlebar question.
Attached Thumbnails Yet another fork swap-dsc04038.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Administrator
World Champion

No hijack involved. This brings up trying to find clip-ons that will clear. The rise I don't care about. Remember, I also ride a 1000RR and a 600RR, so I'm used to the position. What triples/forks are you using?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Disregard. I did a search. They are 954.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
SuperBike

My guess is that whatever clipons guys here on the forum have used successfully with 929/954 front ends will work with the 1000RR front end. If you're going to use 954 triples, then, of course, that's definitely the case.
Are the triples from the 1000RR different widths than the 954 items? They look similar, with the gull wing top triple. Have you measured or corroborated that the 1000RR pieces are wider?
By the way, the bar height on my tubular conversion is about the same as the stock VTR setup. The bar is a little bit closer to reach, but the height is the same. Also, I cut them so they are the same width as the stock setup. Overall, because of the easier reach, I like the riding position better than the original.

Last edited by killer5280; 08-24-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I think the stock triples are 295mm from center to center. The 1000RR are more like 310, plus the extra diameter of the forks. The 600RR are closer in fork spacing but I think they are slightly shorter than the 1000RR and they are also smaller diameter.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Hey Greg

sorry about the late reply. I finally had a chance to look at the R1 set with the move and all... it doesn't appear to fit. I need a caliper to confirm but looks like I will have to revert to the 954 set up. I don't want to sell it to you but will send it to you on a loan basis since I will be needing it back for my swap. Not sure if it is worth the cost for you though (shipping both ways0. Let me know.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Well guys I finally will have all the parts collected and in the garage in about a week or so. I just snagged a set of 1000RR wheels off ebay for $200. Will sell the rear or maybe even have this set powdercoated some other color for the RR. I have one left clip on just to test for clearances. I will need to have wheel spacers made and need to take some measurements between fork centers with the 929 triple and the 1000RR to calculate their length. Also need to call All-***** to order the head bearings.

So far this is what I've got. Prices include shipping costs:

1000RR forks - $240
929 lower triple - $75
929 upper triple - $29
1000RR calipers - $60
1000RR black front fender - $30
1000RR front wheel - $120 (splitting the cost of the set)
1000RR front rotors - $73
1000RR front axle - $20
1000RR front brake lines - free, stock off my 1000RR

Total - $647

Not sure if there was any less expensive way to do this project since parts are from two different bikes. I guess I could've bought an entire front end and separate 929/954 triples but it'd been about the same cost. Also I was pretty picky regarding the condition of the parts. I figure betwen the spacers and the bearings it'll be another $60. Not sure about clip-ons yet. That could get disgustingly expensive if I have to go with Heli.

I can't wait to feel the results of this upgrade. The project itself should only take an afternoon if all the parts fit up right. I guess I'll have to move the rads back a bit. Another lister moved the entire fairing backwards but I don't understand how he overcame the headlight mounting pins. Those won't move back.

I'll keep you guys posted as things come together.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Superstock

Verne
So it should be ready for the meet next year? Not like I could keep up with you guys anyway. May be time to buy an elise for that.

Verne
Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

Well guys I finally will have all the parts collected and in the garage in about a week or so. I just snagged a set of 1000RR wheels off ebay for $200. Will sell the rear or maybe even have this set powdercoated some other color for the RR. I have one left clip on just to test for clearances. I will need to have wheel spacers made and need to take some measurements between fork centers with the 929 triple and the 1000RR to calculate their length. Also need to call All-***** to order the head bearings.

So far this is what I've got. Prices include shipping costs:

1000RR forks - $240
929 lower triple - $75
929 upper triple - $29
1000RR calipers - $60
1000RR black front fender - $30
1000RR front wheel - $120 (splitting the cost of the set)
1000RR front rotors - $73
1000RR front axle - $20
1000RR front brake lines - free, stock off my 1000RR

Total - $647

Not sure if there was any less expensive way to do this project since parts are from two different bikes. I guess I could've bought an entire front end and separate 929/954 triples but it'd been about the same cost. Also I was pretty picky regarding the condition of the parts. I figure betwen the spacers and the bearings it'll be another $60. Not sure about clip-ons yet. That could get disgustingly expensive if I have to go with Heli.

I can't wait to feel the results of this upgrade. The project itself should only take an afternoon if all the parts fit up right. I guess I'll have to move the rads back a bit. Another lister moved the entire fairing backwards but I don't understand how he overcame the headlight mounting pins. Those won't move back.

I'll keep you guys posted as things come together.
That's reasonably cheap. I think I paid more for all my 954 stuff if I include bearings and handlebar parts, although I did get $500.00 for my original Superhawk front end which helped to offset the pain. I have gotten used to the reduced steering lock, but there are times when it's definitely a pain.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah Greg.... that's a great price... I'm probably just under / near a grand on my RC swap all said and done when you add in all the misc. stuff (bearings, bolts, etc.) and swapping of the springs for my weight.

I never planned to spend that much, but once I got started, it snowballed pretty quick... I think the stuff that does it are the "little pieces" that you don't think will cost much... clipons, steering/wheel bearings, bolts... I'm probably right around 200 or so in those parts alone!!!

J.

Plus it didn't help I got shafted on a set of forks... I've taken that off my cost list and chalked it up to getting what you paid for.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:27 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
same experience regarding prices for the RC stuff. Maybe more racers upgrade the RR stuff making ebay supplies more plentiful? Or greg is just a patient enough shopper to wait for consistently good deals.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I’m watching this thread like a (Super)Hawk. I’ve bought the 1000RR forks and some other pieces, watching others on Ebay. One thought I’ve been tossing around is making new triples that would match the original fork’s spread, (taking the larger diameter of the fork into consideration). Also maybe make the gullwing of the 954 upper triple more pronounced so a clip-on could be mounted above the triple. I won’t know how all this would effect the brake setup until I can do some sort of mock-up. Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator
World Champion

GregW,

You would have issues with several items, most importantly the wheel width. Also of concern is the fit of the fender. I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze the RR fender between the (now) skinnier forks. Axle and spacers would be another issue. As it is I will most likely have to modify the 1000RR axle, though not by much.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Thanks Greg.
The cosmetic stuff doesn’t worry me that much; I can probably bend up an aluminum fender. My fears lay in making the suspension work without killing myself. There’s more risk working on a bike than a car (where most of my experience is), so I may chicken out and do the swap with no custom pieces. Or I might just rework the stock forks. I’ll see where it all stands once the parts come in. Sounds pretty fickle, huh.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

Happy modding Greg!! My GSXR fender fit with the 929 triples, not that it means anything to you with your setup just adding it in since it wasn't exactly the same width. Not a bad price on the parts, mine was just a little bit more because of the Heli's and the fact that RC wheels are more expensive it seems. If you do have to go with Heli's,(which you probably will), just keep your eyes on Ebay, I think I paid around $85 shipped for mine in like new condition.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:43 PM
MotoGP

Oh and the spacer issue was one of the things that I loved about the GSXR forks, NO spacers needed, they're built into the GSXR axle!!! It's SO much easier to mount the front wheel now.

Quick Reply: Yet another fork swap