Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

were did my air funnels go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Back Marker

havoc7685 is on a distinguished road
were did my air funnels go?

I tried to use the search but it kept saying bad token wat ever that means but at least I tried lol. Anyway........I DL the service manual as some body suggested(thanx btw) an I've bein reading threw it an came to the part with the air box stuff an there are these things in there called air funnels. Well I opend up the air box the other day in search for something I'd rather not say what for.............(Ok I thought mayb the spark plugs would be under it get over it hahahahahahahaha) an I dnt remember seeing them in there. Is there a reason people take these out or did somebody forget to put them back in? And also, I was gonna look it up later but not sure what I would type in the search. there was like a ring of discolored metal on the underside of the air filter above the front carb. But the other side was clean an there was a very little bit of oil in the box more like a trace of oil really lol. Any ideas? Thanx guys happy riden
Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, no there are no logical reason to remove the air funnels or velocity stacks as they are also called... If they are indeed missing, I'd suggest getting new one's in there as they help the airflow immensely... They should be under the air filter, in the mouth of the carbs...

As a side note... If you want to, when you replace them, instead of getting oem plastic parts there is a thread on here with all the needed info on replacement billet stacks that get's you some performance improvements... just seach "velocity stack"...

Oh, btw... the search field on the frontpage is a bit temperamental... Works better if you click the link top-left and use the search there...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Back Marker

I dnt think anything of it at the time becuz I didn't know any better. Butt wen I seen that I was curious. I didn't know if mayb the manual was also for other bikes. Like if you've ever looked threw one for a car sometimes things just dnt match up an come to find out it has absolutely nothing to do with your vehicle at all lol. Thanx for all the help an I'll check out the billit stacks also
Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
If you can't find the plastic ones, check out all the folks who have bought the billet velocity stacks, someone has their OEM plastic ones laying around (like me) and would probably sell them to you really cheap.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Back Marker

Cool thanx RW. I'm sure I'll find some this is like the motorcycle capital of the world....... well mayb not officially but definitely seems like it lol. An you were(or where can't remember wich was the right one lol) right down loading that manual was a must, I've bein reading threw it off an on sence like about 5 last night. Have I mentioned I'm kinda an insamniac lol
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Back Marker

Awe damn here we go again hahahahahhahahahahaahaaha
Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The "ring of discolored metal" you describe on the underside of the air filter element is due to carb farts, my best guess. It's actually a burn mark. Replacing the velocity stacks may help that issue.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Back Marker

Oooooo I see well thank you. I'm gonna try an get on that soon. I actully got two days off work in a row b4 I have to leave town again so want get as much done as I can on her its long over do as far as I can see lol. Btw I frickn love this place thanx again to everyone