Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

A VTR1000F... With Fuel Injection?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Schnitzel
Squid

PHxS is on a distinguished road
I've been away from the conversation for long enough. I do plan on converting to fuel injection, but later than I had planned. I just started a business on the side making vinyl graphics.

They say you have to spend money to make money, might as well give it a try.

Once I get settled, i'll offer my services here. In the meantime, i'm low on cash as far as the toys are concerned. Which means i've pushed my plans for the conversion out a bit.

I've already picked up some throttle bodies from a Suzuki TL1000R and will be designing the brackets to reposition them to the intake port (the TLR throttle bodies sit more vertical than the Hawk carbs). I figured the setup would be ideal since people have made some nice power from those engines.

I have been reading everything I can on the different combinations of crank and cam position sensors as well as their corresponding wheels all relating to the type of spark. I haven't gotten to figuring how i'm going to run the injectors (two for each cylinder). I forgot to measure the injector resistance today, argh!

I'm lining up everything and making a budget soon. Then i'll see everything in a much clearer fashion than what is going around in my head. Depending on how well the vinyl designing goes, I might just try to wrangle myself some varadero parts.

Nights,
Ryan B.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Squid

Big Don is on a distinguished road
I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor, will look forward to ordering some VTR1000RR vinyl for the bike. If you are going to use TL1000 parts why not go with the sane parts from an RC51, or an SV1000. Hope to see something up and running. If you can get it to work right have you thought about packaging the parts i for one would be a complete FI conversation for my bike.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Schnitzel
Squid

I went with the TL1000R throttle bodies because I was able to get them complete for $35 shipped to my door. The prevalence of parts for them is a bit better. The SV1000 is just a sidestep of the TL1000, meaning the parts are about the same.

Thanks for the good wishes and i'll try to come up with some nice designs for us Hawk owners. Might think about making some SuperChicken vinyl for the fairings.

Ryan B.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
You'll also have to run a fuel pump..............NO?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Schnitzel
Squid

That will not be a problem. I've got the idea set on that part, but just need to work out some little details.

Ryan B.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
easily solved with a vfr fuel tank and fuel pump.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:34 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I have done the fuel injection maths since I wanted to turbo the SH, but I may have to sell it because the licensing fees that went 400 % for sport bikes (yes I fought hours on the phone bragging the sport touring thing to no avail), so I dropped the project.

Using Microsquirt would be pretty straight forward, it support odd firing with a single crank trigger in wasted spark mode(witch is the stock setup), there is two outputs the second can be configured with an offset angle from the first, 90 or 270° in this case. If a second sensor can be placed in a head cover to catch a cam lobe, it could be used as a cam sync and single spark. It is possible to fit a return line in stock tank but it needs welding and a good tank cleaning, water and argon or exhaust filling, then bronze can be used to weld a return nipple, but as mentioned the VFR tank is a heck of a good deal with available parts.

Dead stock carbs definitely can be used as TB's since they have TPS, some fuel rail can be made to support both injectors (or four it takes big injectors for a VTR) right over the velocity stacks, slides can be removed, unused galleries plugged, even the stock airbox could be used this way. Otherwise real TB's can be modified but the linkage may be a bit of a PITA, but will yield the same end result, as an added bonus there will be no slide hole on the TB throat.

The vacuum source for the MAP can be taken where we sync the TB's but IMO the absolute best would be to duplicate the Motronic setup by using a MAF sensor connected to the airbox, but the seal would need to be perfect, no leaks at all !!! MS support MAF based systems on the latest codes, on a NA setup this would yeild the best control over AF. MAP based (speed density algorithms) are better used with a plenum and single TB since the MAP signal is cleaner, the post throttle signal on a independent TB is pulsating and far from a clean signal, it works, but there is better, japanese bikes use this system with good results tough.

An exhaust feedback can be used all the time fine tune the mix, regular O2 may be of some use for cruising and close to stoic riding, but for WOT or high load conditions, where a richer mix need to be used, a wideband is needed, at least for tuning, or even all the time (nice with a AFR gauge)
This is a fun project, I'll be happy to help if needed.
This is just food for thought and something to type while I sip my coffee this morning.

Last edited by gboezio; 03-22-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
The Varadero is tuned differently from the Superhawk/Firestorm, too, so if you were able to adapt the FI to a 'hawk you'd have to get a power commander or similar and re-tune the FI system. Unless you want to limit yourself to 80 hp or so? -And I'm not up on the ease of doing that, or even if you could duplicate the Superhawk power band using the Varadero FI.

Still, it sounds like it might be a fun project!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Schnitzel
Squid

Dave: I would love to use varadero parts, but that is cost prohibitive for me unless someone has some laying around and wouldn't mind selling cheap. The idea had crossed my mind.

gboezio: You sound as if I have done the same reading and research as you have. I thought about going with the odd fire/wasted spark oem style, but then started to wonder how much work would be needed to add a cam pick up. I believe it is very possible, but I haven't had the time as of late to get into it as work has been picking up at my shop.

I'm going to have another look before I finally get around to getting the rear head back together and on the bike. Those dame valve cotters are hard to find when they whiz past your face somewhere close to half the speed of light which at that point must become absolutely silent when it comes in contact with cement at those velocities. New part tomorrow and maybe a running bike for the weekend.

Thanks for the offer of help and i'll be sure to pick your brain when mine turns to slush. I need to win the lottery so I can ditch the idea of this new vinyl business and a regular job. Argh!

Ryan B.

Last edited by PHxS; 04-02-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I'm not sure the cam synch will provide much increase in performance/driveability/ fuel economy, since the ignition system seem good at those RPM without skipping a beat. The injection is batch fire so no sequential there. I would concentrate on the Air metering system since it's the most problematic part of the conversion, a MAF sensor from a ford 4 banger could make a very good metering system IMO
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
Did everyone give up on fuel injection?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lukenukem47
Did everyone give up on fuel injection?
gboezio got it going on his turboed rig (look at the sig of the post above yours)
I think he's using a megasquirt

There isn't an easy bolt on option.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
gboezio has the only injected VTR that I know of.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

It's down for the moment, it needs to have the fuel pump immersed in fuel, so I'm looking for a VFR tank and fuel pump, the fuel pump will boil the gas hen the engine is hot, then loose fuel pressure until cooled down. I will redo some suspension, wiring and of course reprogramming and will be good to go.
The fuel pressure is really bouncy due to the bouncing vacuum, so will add a plenum and restrictor to the FPR.

Other than that the throttle body is too big, a single 45 mm TB will be plenty, so I'm looking for a replacement, the one I have can bind under the tank and dont have return cable, it fires up goodeven after a year off, first crank !!

As I said in another post, I have changed job so I got my life back

Last edited by gboezio; 05-01-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
As I said in another post, I have changed job so I got my life back
Welcome back brother
Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
The only thing the RVT and the VTR motors have in common is the v-twin configuration. From what I understand the XL1000 and the VTR1000 are the same motor. I'd have to assume that the XL might have different cam timing, ignition timing, transmission ratios, etc...

they are the same motor as per the maint manual. besides the fuel injection
Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 3amta3
they are the same motor as per the maint manual. besides the fuel injection
And cams, throttle bodies, different comp pistons and a whole list of other parts... But yeah, the block is the same and most of the maintainance is the same...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Wasn't going to mention to this group.. I took a part-time job(service parts) in a Honda dealership( specifically for most on the forum opinion of dealerships).
Yet in the six months, I have been here. there have been 10 or more XL1000 thru, for service. All the owners were from Canada..
And the idea of the conversion, DID cross my mind, on a wrecked bike (misfortune of trying to tame Hwy129)..
I just couldn't get the mechnic to put the complete (wiring, fuel injection) on the wreck estimate.
And i have and ridden a CB1000f. To the consideration of a wealthy, lucky local business man...
Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Squid

hbjr001 is on a distinguished road
folllow up on this?

this gent is promising to ship a kit soon!
no varadero TB's but from the vtr Sp1!

Tri Pod Forum • View topic - Fitting Fuel injection to the Firestorm
Old 10-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Tri Pod Forum • View topic - Fitting Fuel injection to the Firestorm take a look at this
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Eh you guys. read that article on the tripod. Far from a guide. Anyone here actually do it? With good h.p.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Superstock

Are you kidding me!? Nobody tried this? Do you really like having to clean the choke cables and adjusting the crabs every time it gets cloudy? I mean I got a whole front cylinder ******* out because it got cold out!

Its almost a direct bolt up. Trigger wheel is there. Mega squirts are cheap! They make a similar engine with the FI already on! My only problem with this is an RC motor costs less than a megasquirt. But no one!? Really??? The bike is 19!!! If I wasnt Bawls deep in fiberglass Id be tempted.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
As some of you may or may not already know, Europe has a Honda version of the DL1000... the XL1000V Varadero. I mention this because the Xl1000 use's the same motor as the VTR1000... well almost the same motor. Among other minor differences come one difference I think the VTR should of come with in the first place.. FUEL INJECTION! Does anbody know if the throttle bodies are a direct bolt up? Obviously you'll need the XL's wiring harness, electronic gadgetry and a fuel tank from a VFR or something. Is it possible to get european parts here in the U.S.?
http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/D...2707#focusHere

Looks like my new Africa Twin kinda
Old 10-15-2016, 04:32 AM
Superstock

You are so cool for reposting this. I forgot about it! I was just hopeful that someone actually went and did it. As said on many other posts I plan on ordering a sp2 engine this winter so I probably wont but I am going to check the specs on this bike now. Thanks again!!

I posted back too quick. I forgot about the HP and injector throat diamiter... Shi.... t. I will PM Verastorm as I believe hes got one heck of a ride heavily modified verado.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 10-15-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Just a thought but if you're absolutely hell-bent on FI, why not try some type of hybrid system made up of Varadero electronics and SV1000 TBs or RC51 (SP1 in particular, SP2 TBs are ridiculously big) and injectors. Though I have no idea who made the SV parts, chances are they are the same supplier as the Varadero's bits, but the much larger diameter will allow the engine to breather properly unlike the small Varadero TBs. You could have to fashion some brackets but, at a glance, it should work

Of course you could get a set of FCRs and mate it up with an auto-adjustment device (http://www.holtzmaneng.com/) and be done with it. Way less hassle and likely equal or better performance; if I had the funds kicking around this is exactly what I would do

I must say, I don't get this obsession with FI....

carry on....

Last edited by mikstr; 10-15-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RedStormJ
You are so cool for reposting this. I forgot about it! I was just hopeful that someone actually went and did it. As said on many other posts I plan on ordering a sp2 engine this winter so I probably wont but I am going to check the specs on this bike now. Thanks again!!

I posted back too quick. I forgot about the HP and injector throat diamiter... Shi.... t. I will PM Verastorm as I believe hes got one heck of a ride heavily modified verado.
What are you planning to do with the SP2 engine?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Superstock

1. I am hell bent on FI because of the constant climate change and elevation along with the fact that tuning and mileage should benefit. No more surprise farts either. Not that it happens often but. It shouldnt happen. Ill check into everything mentioned Mistkr Thank's. Plus someone should FI a storm engine in a storm. I didnt read about Holtzmans stuff. Pretty nifty. I have been working a lot with carbs and FI and Fi is just my thing.

2. If I can shoehorn the engine into the frame space with minimal frame work I will. 136 h.p. is attractive along with the ease of tuning the engine to produce a reliable higher output for way less cash invested.

3. The hold back on Getting the RC engine is that I dont want to cut the frame much as if I ever did go to a blackbird I would want to sell the bike with all parts able to be put back on. What pushes me to do it is this engine is a replacement from a 99.... I just saw the junkyard crayon on the engine. so the engine getting changed does not bother me as it has unknown mileage and wear. I would much rather put new slugs into a newer engine do a valve job and call it a day. The bike is going to get new cans light frame parts. ( Building now.) wheels and a sp2 swing anyways.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 10-15-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:47 AM
SuperBike

Where on the engine was the "junkyard crayon"?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Superstock

on the case near the back. With english. Not that english isnt common here.
Do they all have it?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:58 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RedStormJ
on the case near the back. With english. Not that english isnt common here.
Do they all have it?
Yes, I believe that is on most if not all engines, right from the factory.

Quick Reply: A VTR1000F... With Fuel Injection?!?!?