Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

The truth about VTR frame and Spondon "ears"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
the frame itself is soft and flexible. Not the engine case. Even after all of the bracing of the frame, the race bikes would shake all over the place.

The other big problem with adding too much shock length (besides decreasing rake and trail) is that it causes too much anti-squat due to chain tension, which stiffens the rear suspension under acceleration, when you need it to be compliant.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road
About the ride height. The Mori forks that are on the bike in the picture are almost 1.5" longer so they could raise the front to match the rise in the rear.

RCVTR, in the Ditchfield post on the other forum he says "The only full spec Moriwaki ST3 bikes produced were two for the late Bob Hayashida formerly of Big Valley Honda in Nevada, the Revolution bike and Moriwaki's own bikes." What happened to Bob's 2 ST3 bikes and how much of them ended up in my bike?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
SuperBike

the rear ride height is set in order to get the proper swingarm angle. Basically the rear weight transfer is countered by the chain tension, so that the rear suspension is near its static position, with maximum compliance, when the front tire is unloaded. There's more to it than that, but that's a good starting point. Then the front geometry can be established via fork length, rake angle and triple clamp offset.

I only knew of one chassis in Bob's possession. Bob worked with Moriwaki on the chassis bracing. Some of the design was his.

Jay, yours is that bike. I believe his was a ST2 engine, built to last an entire race season, so he could keep his day job. He went to a ST3 build on his RC51, but also built it for a full season of racing. The RC51 has a true GP chassis. Roger told me that his British SB SP1s were rebuilt after every race weekend. Hence the higher horsepower numbers.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
SuperBike

Also...
Bob wished he had never sold that bike. A couple of years afterward he told me he would never sell another motorcycle!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Also...
Bob wished he had never sold that bike. A couple of years afterward he told me he would never sell another motorcycle!
Sorry to hear that he missed it, I would have sold it to him but I'm not selling it to anybody else. Nobody on this earth would pay what's worth and I'm not giving something so cool away. This season my RC30 motor is getting rebuilt by Jim Grainger. Next season I'll freshen up the Super Hawk, I doubt it will need much, maybe I'll just re-ring it and let you take care of the heads. Who knows, maybe afterwords with some race gas and re-jetting it'll Dyno over 140HP!

So I wonder what happened to the 2 ST3 bikes Rodger referred to? I'd love one of those sexy swing arms, I bet the weigh 5 pounds less than mine and are about as stiff.

Jay
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Race reinforced frame with extra bracing (sans ears) as per Roger's spec

Honda VTR Firestorm, frame | eBay
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Back Marker

Looks good! Mine has another tube welded in down from the headstock, I can't tell if yours does.
Attached Thumbnails The truth about VTR frame and Spondon "ears"-dscn0030.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MC Leather
Looks good! Mine has another tube welded in down from the headstock, I can't tell if yours does.
Now THAT is the most interesting thing I've seen yet!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

How do you like these apples? Do you think this bike has a bit more un-sprung weight over stock?
Attached Thumbnails The truth about VTR frame and Spondon "ears"-dscn0033.jpg   The truth about VTR frame and Spondon "ears"-dscn0035.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Yes, but it's worth it.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
the frame itself is soft and flexible. Not the engine case. Even after all of the bracing of the frame, the race bikes would shake all over the place.
Hence having the engine as a stress member of the frame it should stiffen the overall frame. The forks being attached to the twisty frame does cause some issues though. It seems to me more so than running a brace from the top to the bottom frame spars it needs to have some diagonal cross bracing from the left to right upper spars. The lower spars are attached to the engine and therefore are going to be pretty stiff. The upper spars have diagonal bracing to the lower spars but nothing between them. Biggest issue I see in this type of bracing is there is stuff like the air box in the way of such bracing.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Hence having the engine as a stress member of the frame it should stiffen the overall frame.
And one can feel that when putting an engine back in the frame and torquing up the mounting bolts. This is why it's important to do them all up in a particular order and to the required torques. Otherwise the engine could go back in twisted which would cause handling problems.

MC Leather I'd like to see some pics of your mori. I shall have a search through some of your threads in a minute to see if I can find any.

I think Gilson on the UK firestorm site has one of the ST3's

(:-})

Last edited by cybercarl; 02-11-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cybercarl
And one can feel that when putting an engine back in the frame and torquing up the mounting bolts. This is why it's important to do them all up in a particular order and to the required torques. Otherwise the engine could go back in twisted which would cause handling problems.

MC Leather I'd like to see some pics of your mori. I shall have a search through some of your threads in a minute to see if I can find any.

I think Gilson on the UK firestorm site has one of the ST3's

(:-})
A few random posts have a few random posts and data. I guess I should start a thread on it, but some of the details are unknown to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM
SuperBike

Oops. I wasn't on the last entry. That's the swingarm.