Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Time for Stage I

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Just double checking my memory... I remembered to include the charge indicator right? If not let me know... It's good for knowing when there is a problem...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Just double checking my memory... I remembered to include the charge indicator right? If not let me know... It's good for knowing when there is a problem...
Yep, I got the charge indicator light but haven't wired it up yet cuz not sure where to tap in at. Where do you like to wire it in?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Yep, I got the charge indicator light but haven't wired it up yet cuz not sure where to tap in at. Where do you like to wire it in?
I would recommend the dashboard lighting... Then it comes on when the bike is on... Should see the low voltage warning on ignition on but engine off/cranking & possibly at idle... Then you know it's working, and won't have to wonder when it's not lit up if the bike is working ok or the indicator is broken...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

I would recommend the dashboard lighting... Then it comes on when the bike is on... Should see the low voltage warning on ignition on but engine off/cranking & possibly at idle... Then you know it's working, and won't have to wonder when it's not lit up if the bike is working ok or the indicator is broken...
I remember you said to use the dashboard lighting in your instructions, but when I pulled it off I didn't see the bulb socket that's described in the manual. Are the 2002+ models different?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM
MotoGP

The newer dash uses a mix of bulbs and LED's I think... Dunno for sure, but I'd probably splice into the wire instead then... It should be a solid brown wire for positive and a green or green with black stripes for ground/neg according to US spec wiring diagram... Verify them before hookup if possible, but the circuit is protected so worst case you only blow a fuse, nothing goes poof...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

The newer dash uses a mix of bulbs and LED's I think... Dunno for sure, but I'd probably splice into the wire instead then... It should be a solid brown wire for positive and a green or green with black stripes for ground/neg according to US spec wiring diagram... Verify them before hookup if possible, but the circuit is protected so worst case you only blow a fuse, nothing goes poof...
Thanks, I'll let you know if I get electrocuted
Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Tweety, what should I use if I ever need to charge the battery? I do have an old LiIon led bike light battery charger I could splice up. Would something like that be better to use then a regular 6v/12v batter charger?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

I calculated my displacement went up by just over 10cc to 1006cc now. You may be thinking that ain't squat, but combined with a few stage 1 aftermarket goodies it feels like a lot!

Last edited by FL02SupaHawk996; 08-10-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spell
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
MotoGP

Tweety, what should I use if I ever need to charge the battery? I do have an old LiIon led bike light battery charger I could splice up. Would something like that be better to use then a regular 6v/12v batter charger?
Well... No... not really... It can start the bike cold more than 10-15 times... (probably around 20-30, but can't say for sure) and crank the bike until the starter overheats... So you have to manage to do that without figuring out what's wrong with the bike before it will really need charging... That's highly unlikely to happen...

And if you really need to charge it, the best way is to bumpstart the bike and once you have ridden it around the block twice it should have enough juice to start the bike again if it just dipped down to where it almost started, but not quite... 5-10 miles from home it's fully charged...

If you really, really need to charge it for some reason, 14V 0.5-5A for the apropriorate time is the best way... Ie 0.5A = 9 hours from dead to absolutely full (unlikely), and 2A means 2,3 hours... 5A means a full charge in about 45 minutes... You can actually charge it at 10A, but then you risk overcharging it... The "dumber" the charger is the better...
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Well... No... not really... It can start the bike cold more than 10-15 times... (probably around 20-30, but can't say for sure) and crank the bike until the starter overheats... So you have to manage to do that without figuring out what's wrong with the bike before it will really need charging... That's highly unlikely to happen...

And if you really need to charge it, the best way is to bumpstart the bike and once you have ridden it around the block twice it should have enough juice to start the bike again if it just dipped down to where it almost started, but not quite... 5-10 miles from home it's fully charged...

If you really, really need to charge it for some reason, 14V 0.5-5A for the apropriorate time is the best way... Ie 0.5A = 9 hours from dead to absolutely full (unlikely), and 2A means 2,3 hours... 5A means a full charge in about 45 minutes... You can actually charge it at 10A, but then you risk overcharging it... The "dumber" the charger is the better...
I'll try to ride it at least once every week in an effort to keep it charged, but I just wanted a backup plan

I've never had much luck bump starting it cuz FL is mostly FLAT and now it'll be hard to roll those big fat Morwi cams over, so I'll look around for a 14V charger
Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

I'll try to ride it at least once every week in an effort to keep it charged, but I just wanted a backup plan

I've never had much luck bump starting it cuz FL is mostly FLAT and now it'll be hard to roll those big fat Morwi cams over, so I'll look around for a 14V charger

Um... Unless you have a big battery drain, you shouldn't need to even worry... If the battery is left unconnected it takes more than a year for it to drop enough of a charge to be even measurable... And since it will happily start the bike from a 100% charge to roughly 5% it should take a few years...

If you do have a big drain (clock, whatever) say 10 mA? then it still takes (4700/(10*24))= ~20 days, so say at least 14 days before the battery is depleted enough to even begin to worry... And that's a big drain... mostly it's below 1mA for a clock, so then ~200 days... If that happens to be the case and you need to store the bike for a longer time, just unplug the battery and you are good to go once it's plugged in... Actually if it's a strictly weekend bike, if you unplug it between uses you will never, ever need a charger...

So far I have needed to charge mine exactly once (besides testing purposes)... And that includes sitting almost two months with the clock ticking without riding... So I doubt you'll ever need that charger...

BTW, most "dumb" SLA chargers are 14V/0.5-1A... Those are perfect, and you should be able to purchase one in just about any gas station for peanuts...... And if you use one... Charge for 10-15 minutes and it's enough to start the bike, then let the bike do the rest...
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Um... Unless you have a big battery drain, you shouldn't need to even worry... If the battery is left unconnected it takes more than a year for it to drop enough of a charge to be even measurable... And since it will happily start the bike from a 100% charge to roughly 5% it should take a few years...

If you do have a big drain (clock, whatever) say 10 mA? then it still takes (4700/(10*24))= ~20 days, so say at least 14 days before the battery is depleted enough to even begin to worry... And that's a big drain... mostly it's below 1mA for a clock, so then ~200 days... If that happens to be the case and you need to store the bike for a longer time, just unplug the battery and you are good to go once it's plugged in... Actually if it's a strictly weekend bike, if you unplug it between uses you will never, ever need a charger...

So far I have needed to charge mine exactly once (besides testing purposes)... And that includes sitting almost two months with the clock ticking without riding... So I doubt you'll ever need that charger...

BTW, most "dumb" SLA chargers are 14V/0.5-1A... Those are perfect, and you should be able to purchase one in just about any gas station for peanuts...... And if you use one... Charge for 10-15 minutes and it's enough to start the bike, then let the bike do the rest...
Thanks Man!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I calculated my displacement went up by just over 10cc to 1006cc now. You may be thinking that ain't squat, but combined with a few stage 1 aftermarket goodies it feels like a lot!
in fact, it probably aint squat. its all the other changes including the HC part of the pistons.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It`s just slightly more than squat. Cionsidering it represents a 1% bump in displacement, it probably accounts for gains of about 1.3 hp and .8 lb-ft (considering the state of tune, of course), not enough to notice but, as in all things, a bit here and a bit there and it all adds up......
Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Mikstr, it's about time for you to get started on yours, so what do you need to get started?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cliby
in fact, it probably aint squat. its all the other changes including the HC part of the pistons.
Originally Posted by mikstr
It`s just slightly more than squat. Cionsidering it represents a 1% bump in displacement, it probably accounts for gains of about 1.3 hp and .8 lb-ft (considering the state of tune, of course), not enough to notice but, as in all things, a bit here and a bit there and it all adds up......
Doesn't matter much... I wan't squat... I'm getting there... Slowly... I keep getting sidetracked...

Had an offer to buy an ex race engine for my SP2 yesterday... I'm almost certain I don't need 165'ish rearwheel horsepower... But the evil, moneysucking part of my brain keeps arguing I can't know that for sure until I have tried it... It's also advocating for a S/C SP2... Or VTR... Or both...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Doesn't matter much... I wan't squat... I'm getting there... Slowly... I keep getting sidetracked...

Had an offer to buy an ex race engine for my SP2 yesterday... I'm almost certain I don't need 165'ish rearwheel horsepower... But the evil, moneysucking part of my brain keeps arguing I can't know that for sure until I have tried it... It's also advocating for a S/C SP2... Or VTR... Or both...
SP2 = RC51 right? I'd go with NA 165 hp before S/C cuz it's more manageable...if you don't have a good grip when the boost comes in you may see the rear end of your bike as it leaves you on yours
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

SP2 = RC51 right? I'd go with NA 165 hp before S/C cuz it's more manageable...if you don't have a good grip when the boost comes in you may see the rear end of your bike as it leaves you on yours
Yeah, SP1/SP2 are what you call the RC51...

Not really... I have had some riding time on both a S/C Aprilia Mille (http://www.spoonvalleyracing.se/Movi...20res/Mr.R.mpg) and a Turbo'ed busa with a tad over 600 at the rear wheel... Both are easily managed... The S/C'ed Mille is a big friendly pussycat... The boost is linear, unsurprising and it just keeps going, and going, and going towards redline...

But the sane part of my mind keep telling me that I'm sposed to ride them both on the road, so a STG 1 engine is enough for the VTR, and a mild tune-up on the SP2 should be plenty... That reminds me... I should listen to my sane side once in a while...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-11-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Yeah, SP1/SP2 are what you call the RC51...

Not really... I have had some riding time on both a S/C Aprilia Mille (146 -> 218) and a Turbo'ed busa with a tad over 600 at the rear wheel... Both are easily managed... The S/C'ed Mille is a big friendly pussycat... The boost is linear, unsurprising and it just keeps going, and going, and going towards redline...

But the sane part of my mind keep telling me that I'm sposed to ride them both on the road, so a STG 1 engine is enough for the VTR, and a mild tune-up on the SP2 should be plenty... That reminds me... I should listen to my sane side once in a while...
Leave the sanity for dreams...this is real life we're talkin about so boost it and show us all how so we can following in your footsteps
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Squid

heng47 is on a distinguished road
Would you guys happen to be talking about LiFePo4 batteries?

I'm thinking of hooking up my own set too for reasons I shall mention another time. Are you guys using 4cell or 8cell packs?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

Yes, we are... Well, 4 cell/8 cell is really a vague specification unless you specify what type cells, so you know the capacity (there are several sizes, even though the most well known are 26650 cells also known as M1 cells)... I'm using 8 (2*4) cells to give me a 4,6 Ah battery... That's more than enough for the VTR... 4 of them for 2,3 Ah is juuust enough, but leaves a slim reserve...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Squid

I figured there's really only 1 viable option for those batteries since the others don't hold enough of a charge. Yes, the 26650 cells from A123 are the ones I'm thinking of. Are you using the same method off the r1forum?

I don't really want to solder them together because I think batteries don't like heat and it just feels messy. I'll probably vac-form my own casings instead.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:19 PM
MotoGP

I'm soldering, works fine if you have the right tools for quick and short heat, don't want to heat soak them... What method is used on the r1 forum?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

There are larger round cells, can't remeber the designation right now, but 4 of them replace a larger car battery quite easily...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Squid

What method is used on the r1 forum?
They're wrapped in 4 pairs, the + ends are soldered together, the - ends are connected with a kind of jumped bar, also soldered on. Rather crude, but his methods for monitoring the voltage and his balancing circuits are quite interesting.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268406

I'm not sure of the designation too, usually see people refer to them by colour. Green or yellow. Avoid yellow.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
MotoGP

Well... I dunno how you look at things, but the method on the link is what I would refer to as "soldering"... Using "bus bars" are common practice...
Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

I put another 50 miles on the new motor this morning and it's nice and smooth through all the gears up to 6K RPM then I get some hesitation, but I'll work that out on the Dyno...

Man the tranny is smooth as butter which is a huge surprise since it wouldn't shift at all initially

That new hot rod motor sound is not only heard but you can actually feel it as those big slugs roll over those fat Morwi cams. It's not the same bike anymore. However, IMHO it's now where it should be and where Honda shouldda built it to begin with...
Old 08-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Squid

Well... I dunno how you look at things, but the method on the link is what I would refer to as "soldering"... Using "bus bars" are common practice...
There is someone else using capacitative discharge instead of soldering so as not to damage the cells. I don't know enough about batteries to say which is the better method though.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by heng47
There is someone else using capacitative discharge instead of soldering so as not to damage the cells. I don't know enough about batteries to say which is the better method though.
Done right both have fairly negligable effects on the batteries, but the capacitive discharge welding is easier to do in large batches, so people doing "assembly line" production is naturally using that option... Both have the ability to damage the cell severely if done incorrect... So, if you are doing your own pack... solder it... If you go pro, weld...

BTW, we are getting a bit too of topic here... Start a thread on the topic and I'll answear, but otherwise, back to the Stage 1 bike...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-14-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Done correctly, soldering does not harm the cells. Use plenty of quality flux, not the dry crap you get from Radio Shack. Some good paste flux used on the battery ends and connecting bars will only require less than 5 seconds of heat to make a proper jont if the joints are properly tinned and a hot enough iron is used. I have soldered many, many batteries (NiCad, LiPo and NiMh) and have never lost a cell through heat while soldering.

Quick Reply: Time for Stage I