Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

swinger bracing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
swinger bracing

OK guys i did some research and it looks like the brace from a CBR900 will work to splice onto the stock swinger, but what year? i have a friend who does aircraft welding... and he said he would help me add the brace this winter so i want to take him up on it if i can find a brace for a good price

i was contemplating doing a whole swap to SP2 swinger but i decided to stick with stock geometry and i JUST put new tires on

any help would be great!

thanks guys
Old 12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I believe they all have the same dimensions. The earlier ones have a different front member on the brace than the later model ones. ASAIK either will work though. That piece will need some custom cutting either way. However, most of the ones I have seen, including mine, are the earlier version. Mine is from a 95. I do remember seeing at least one of the others though. Not 100% sure here, but just by looking around on ebay it looks like they switched in 96.

Here's a decent one. That ding wont matter. If you are patient you might find find a better deal. I got mine for around $60. Plus shipping of course.

1993 1994 1995 Honda CBR900RR Swing Arm Swingarm Good Condition | eBay

Here's a newer one.

1996-1997 HONDA CBR 900RR SWING ARM USED | eBay

Last edited by mboe794; 12-08-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Superstock

o awesome, thanks for all the info, this one looks decent and the price is right
CBR900 SWINGARM CBR 900RR CBR900RR | eBay

so you have it done then? noticeable difference? i honestly like the look of the 900 swinger alot... minimal and looks like it will do the trick
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
SuperSport

That is a pretty good price!

On the street I would have to say any benefits are slim to none. There may be a cosmetic improvement in some eyes. On the track is where it shines. But even then a quality shock is needed to get the most out of it. Feedback from the rear has definatley improved with both of these in place. Especially at high lean angles.

I am no expert racer, just a trackday enthusiast, but I can surely feel more than a subtle difference. It has increased my confidence at least a little.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Superstock

perfect, thats what im looking for, i push my bike pretty hard and the rear end is less than confidence inspiring... so i will need to find a shock next, a JD modded F4 will suit me i think, im going to do some track days this upcoming year as i will be living close to Brainerd raceway and wanna ready my bike this winter.

Thanks for your input. it should be an interesting winter for the ol' hawk this winter
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
SuperSport

Mabe I'll see you there! I hope to make it back there a few times next year.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Superstock

o wow! totally forgot your a fellow minnesotan! where do you usually go? dakota county?

im gonna be living up north next year hopefully and will be close to BIR so im looking at a track day package, we should definitely coordinate a weekend! that would be killer.

im contemplating picking up a rc51 for track days... no title and would be a perfect bike for playing with, that way i can keep my hawk pretty in case of a mishap on the track :P
Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
SuperSport

I started doing DCTC with a group called ridingcourse.com (may or may not still be around, seems like they have been strugling lately) a few years ago. That tight little track is so much fun! And a good workout. The last couple years I've mainly been doing most of the ZARS events at Brainerd. Went to Mid America once too. They are trying to get started at Road America as well. My fingers are crossed. They also operate at DCTC but rumor has it that they attract a large crowd for that place, so I stay away. I will still try to go with the other guys once a year.

If you make it BIR, give me a shout. I'd love to stop by and chat.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Superstock

Most definitely, i am originally from St.paul so DCTC is a very good possibility for me as well. I may start there in the spring and then try a few days at BIR if possible

we will see what this winter brings in terms of mods and income for MC related fun