Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Swing arm swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Swing arm swap

What needs to be done when swapping out a swing arm? I want to swap a 2004 RC51 swing arm to replace the stock 2005 VTR. I read that some welding is needed but no specifics. I looked in the Knowledge Base, but no luck.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
No specifics were given because it was a do it at your own risk mod.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
One of the bikes that is nominated for VTR of the month has it, maybe the owner could shine some light? I would love to do the swap as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:27 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I think the welding needed was to add a shock mount to enable you to use the original shocks upper mount. Hence the at your own risk obviously failure is going to hurt
Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by malahhaor
One of the bikes that is nominated for VTR of the month has it, maybe the owner could shine some light? I would love to do the swap as well.
Well, that would probably be me then...

Yes I did weld on mine, no it wasn't the shock mount, it was the mounting point on the bottom of the swingarm to the shock linkage... And yes, failure will most definitely hurt...

However I have since figured out a way to mount it without doing any welding... It requires you to use a SP2 swingarm or RC51 02-06 for the confused americans... SP1 (00-01) doesn't work unless you swap bearings and a whole lot more... (I have almost completed that graft to another VTR now)

See this thread... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=swingarm+swap
Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
tweety

care to show your findings?
i would like an alternate method myself.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

What you need:

Parts from SP2:
Swingarm
Wheel axle+nut
Chain adjuster blocks
Caliper mount & Caliper (VTR one will work, but needs a longer brake line, with custom fasteners...)
Lower linkage (triangle thingy with three bearings)

Wheel with stock spacers, either a CBR 600RR wheel (5.5" width as the VTR and 25mm axle) or a CBR 1000RR wheel (6" width) both line up correctly and is a direct bolt on... Also a RC51 wheel (6" width) will obviously work, but the CBR's have similar appearance as the VTR front...

A rear sprocket, the CBR 1000RR matches both 600RR/1000RR wheels and is a 530... 600RR is a 520, so then you need to match the front sprocket and chain up...

From the VTR you need:

Pivot axle and nut
One of the bearing spacers at the pivot axle
Brake line

All the rest of the bike...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by hawxter996
tweety

care to show your findings?
i would like an alternate method myself.
Heh... It's in progress... You can just ignore the parts you already have completed...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
MotoGP

Hoist the bike up and secure it... Any way you like, but make sure it's not going anyway, a rear stand becomes pointless once you start taking the swingarm of...

Remove the swingarm and move the pivot bearing spacer over to the SP2 swingarm... Now stick the SP2 swingarm on using the same pivot bolt and all the other stuff just goes back on... (footpegs, rear m/c... the lot)

Put a 2,5-3mm shim between the chain side swingarm and the engine block... (measurement is from memory, but it should be snug in there) that makes the whole thing line up correctly ie the bottom mount to the shock, the chain and the wheel... If you don't do this the inner ring on that needle bearing will move to far into the bearing when you torque all together... Makes a funny noise and it's probably a good way to end up in a ditch somewhere...

Now since I didn't use the stock footpeg assembly, I made my own, I cant say for sure if you will need any shims here to have them line up outside the swingarm... The SP2 swingarm is slightly more narrow on the outside measurement, could affect the width of the pivot bolt when torqueing...

Stick the wheel on and all that... Position the wheel to the correct height and have a look at the linkage where the shock is...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
MotoGP

Now comes the tricky part...

You have a link coming from the engine with an ear, an ear at the bottom of the shock, and two ears on the bottom of the swingarm... The should if you haven't messed up be perfectly aligned... Ie the two ears would in theory fit over the ears if that where possible...

On the VTR you have a thing with a bearing/tube and two welded on plates... On the SP1/SP2 there is a triangle with three bearings...

Now you have two options... One being like me to weld one of the ears/bearings from that triangle to the swingarm... (See images in thread above) and use two plates to link it up...

The other is to take a chunk of alu and two plates... The alu chunk replicates the SP1/SP2 triangle and makes it possible to bolt on the two sideplates...

Drill a hole and press in the bearing from the stock part, two more holes to bolt it to the plates and stick it together... Now it is going to be a very tight fit, and you will have to do a bit of maths and trial and error to get the ratio right without anything hitting in anyplace...

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures... I chose the weld option... But in the thread above you can see my two link plates and the end connected to the swingarm should be replaced by the chunk...

I'll get pictures and more details once I have completed the build on the SP1/VTR graft...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

Though, to all of you reading this... This is a basic outline, with a few pointers on how to align stuff, what parts to use and so on...

You all need to fill in the blanks yourself... I won't give anybody a complete step-by-step... And that is not because I want too keep information to myself... It's because If you can't fill in the blanks and understand what you are doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it...

I don't want to be responsible for anybody killing themselves trying this... That's why I'm leaving a few gaps...

If you do try it and have questions, feel free to ask them and I'll answer if I can...

BTW... If you are going to do this... Get a height adjustable shock... Either Ohlins/Penske/Whatever or a CBR F4i with Jamie Daugherty's mods or a re-worked one from him and my modified shock mount... Whatever part you choose, an adjustable shock to get the rear height correct and still keep a decent linkage ratio is a lot easier...
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Bikes...my life !!!!
Squid

VTRorist is on a distinguished road
Hi Tweety, I'm trying to make a similar change to yours but with a different approach, I made a piece that attaches to the motor VTR and who gets the OEM linkage RC 51, but I fully agree with what you say, if a person is not able to make the change by filling the voids that you leave in your explanation is that it is better than he had certainly not attack. It is not easy, let alone a change without further risk if there are defects modification, we can kill and kill a passenger. So wisdom is the mother of safety. I've discovered your work and it made ​​me want to change. I had made a reinforced swingarm VTR and I had a project to replace it with a SP1 swing arm, seeing your work, I preferred SP2 swing arm, I would put pictures on my VTR