SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Swing Arm brace, CBR later model (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/swing-arm-brace-cbr-later-model-32897/)

Jack Flash 02-11-2015 06:15 PM

Swing Arm brace, CBR later model

5 Attachment(s)
Yes, another swing arm thread. However, this is for the later model, 97-98, which has never really been covered all that well IMHO. So, since I have just completed mine, I thought I'd share.

I will avoid all history about the differences between the box, and twin legs or spar if you prefer since it has been well documented before. You may want to check E. Marquez's thread on this, he has covered the subject quite well.

There are a few tricks to completing the job right, and, hope my personal experiences will help anyone looking into tackling on this project.
Now, most of the prep work as done by me, which includes cutting off the brace from the CBR swing arm, and, also removing caliper stay from both CBR and VTR arm.

Attachment 18252

Attachment 18253

Attachment 18254

Attachment 18255

Attachment 18256

Jack Flash 02-11-2015 06:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My welder and I misunderstood each other. I asked him to weld the brace flush with the rear of the swing arm. He welded it flush to the front. So, since I didn't want to start over, I just cut a little deeper the front right leg/spar in order the clear the shock relief. Once this completed, I had him fill the hole up, and, I buffed it out.
The brace could of easily been welded 3/8'' more to the rear. This would have avoided my need to cut deeper into the leg.

Following pictures show the completed project with the powder coat paint.

Attachment 18257

Attachment 18258

Attachment 18259

Attachment 18260

Jack Flash 02-11-2015 06:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Since I was tackling this project, I had to upgrade the shock while I was in there. So, bought a 900RR rear shock, and sent it to Jamie Daugherty, and had him work his magic. He built a beautiful brace to lengthen the shock since the 900RR shock is much shorter then the original VTR shock.

Below, more pics of the job completed....well almost. Needed to order myself new rear brake line. So, up will be going a custom built Russell line. And soon enough, will be ordering a CBR900 carbon fiber hugger.

Attachment 18261

Attachment 18262

Attachment 18263

Attachment 18264

mikstr 02-11-2015 06:53 PM

could have swore I saw this before :)

NZSpokes 02-11-2015 08:50 PM

Im about to this exact thing with the same brace. But Im going to plate the sides in as well. Go for that Factory race bike look.

Do you find the exhaust wrap keeps the bike a bit cooler?

kenmoore 02-12-2015 02:54 AM

I have an earlier brace and if you experience the same change in attitude with the bike you will be a happy camper.

That back shock looks great! Let us know how it performs, I would like a better back shock but couldn't be assed paying the $800- odd that they want here in OZ for a decent new one.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7oxgtihr.jpg

I would of liked to plate mine on the sides and may get around to it one day!

Who knows, it just depends how much OCMD I suffer from.

This mod rates as one of the most worthy and just makes the bike so much more settled.

Sort of like putting a schitzo on Valium, calms it right down!

Sorry for butting in, but you are in for a shock (Pardon The Pun) when you ride the bike with this mod!

Wolverine 02-12-2015 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 382685)
putting a schitzo on Valium, calms it right down!

:lol: :p :lol:

Jack Flash 02-12-2015 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 382679)

Do you find the exhaust wrap keeps the bike a bit cooler?

The biggest difference for me was the fact my thighs were not being cooked while waiting on a red light on a hot summer day. Helps keep the heat where it should be...in the pipes.

Plus, inexpensive easy mode, and, gives it a finished look.

xeris 02-22-2015 10:43 AM

Thank you for posting this.
I have a SH swinger with a '97 cbr900 brace setting on it, on my work bench for over a year now. I didn't think that I could make it work as no one else (never saw E Marquez's thread) seems to have used the later model brace. Fitment at the front of the swinger had me concerned that too much would have to be removed from the "twin legs" to get it to follow the contours of the swinger.
Thanks again. I like not having to wander alone in the wilderness.

E.Marquez 02-22-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 382667)
Yes, another swing arm thread. However, this is for the later model, 97-98, which has never really been covered all that well IMHO.

Swingarm brace install + Underslung caliper mount
Thats on a born June 1997 SH, for sale in model year 1998

Jack Flash 02-22-2015 06:29 PM

Eric, I may have not been very clear in my wording. I was speaking of the CBR brace as being later model year 97-98, and not the Hawk itself.

When you posted your thread, I had followed very closely your progress and enjoyed it very much. This is the reason why in my first post, I refer to your thread for the description, and, explanation of the two models of swing arm available for this mod.

E.Marquez 02-22-2015 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 383019)
Eric, I may have not been very clear in my wording. I was speaking of the CBR brace as being later model year 97-98, and not the Hawk itself.

When you posted your thread, I had followed very closely your progress and enjoyed it very much. This is the reason why in my first post, I refer to your thread for the description, and, explanation of the two models of swing arm available for this mod.

Thank you :D
The brace you installed looks like the one I installed in that thread.. is it different?

Jack Flash 02-22-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 383021)
The brace you installed looks like the one I installed in that thread.. is it different?

You have the boxed brace. I opted for the twin legs. Once again, the reason I referenced your thread, so, people have an easy link between the two looks. :)

E.Marquez 02-22-2015 07:02 PM

ahh, got you,, I looked at this pic you posted https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...131_205225.jpg and I thought is was the boxed brace i used.

CruxGNZ 05-31-2015 12:39 PM

I hope Mr. Flash doesn't mind me posting this in his thread. But, for you guys that have done the swingarm brace mod and installed a hugger, where did you get the CBR900RR hugger from? This part is becoming quite elusive. After a lot of searching, I found one on eBay, which is a little expensive ($160) for FRP, and also since it's a little big and dorky looking, I will be cutting a lot off of it. I found another, but I need to call "for availability" on a weekday. Not holding out much hope for that one.

Other than those two, I haven't found anything else. Either my search'fu sucks, or huggers for these bikes aren't very popular anymore.

A decent used hugger would be fantastic, so I looked on a couple CBR900RR forums as well to no avail.

I found a few huggers for the '98 & '99 CBR900RR, but they look slightly different and from what I gather, the swingarm and brace for those years were a slightly different design.

xeris 06-01-2015 08:38 AM

As you know there are two generations of the 900RR. Among other things, slighty different swing arm brace. Be careful to select the right one as the huggers don't interchange. The one that I have is for the later gen 900. nd it looks pretty good, but you can see the texture of the fibers in certain light. Not a show bike so I can live with it. I paid about $75 for in a Since I have both gen 900 braces I can tell you that the fit is close enough that I think you could make it work. If you want I can take some photos of each and post them.
The other place I remember that has them is the Japan web bike site (the site that a member here asked if any one want to get in on hes order). Of course they are not inexpensive and the shipping is a deal breaker for me. When you add up the price of the less expensive hugger, if you go with the wrong one and have the brace modded to fit that hugger (and unless your doing the welding yourself) the higher price one that fits seems to me a better deal
I purchase mine from Pit-Eck Speed Parts on Ebay.
Spools, Mirror Block Plates items in PIT-ECK store on eBay!
It does not look like they have any for a 900. Maybe contact them.

A bit of a pain having a bike that has little to no aftermarket support.

xeris 06-01-2015 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 382685)
I have an earlier brace and if you experience the same change in attitude with the bike you will be a happy camper.

That back shock looks great! Let us know how it performs, I would like a better back shock but couldn't be assed paying the $800- odd that they want here in OZ for a decent new one.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7oxgtihr.jpg

I would of liked to plate mine on the sides and may get around to it one day!

Who knows, it just depends how much OCMD I suffer from.

This mod rates as one of the most worthy and just makes the bike so much more settled.

Sort of like putting a schitzo on Valium, calms it right down!

Sorry for butting in, but you are in for a shock (Pardon The Pun) when you ride the bike with this mod!

kenmoore, what is that antenna array looking thing in the upper right hand corner of the photo? A mod that you have that you're not sharing?

Jack Flash 06-01-2015 10:26 AM

Here y a go Mat. Looks great, very good fit, and extremely light.

Carbon Rear Fender Hugger Honda CBR 900 919 96 99 | eBay

CruxGNZ 06-01-2015 11:45 AM

Thanks Xeris and Jack. I have a brace from a '95 CBR900RR. So, Jack that one for the '99 won't work from what I understand.

I'm not trying to be picky, but I'm looking for one without the chain gaurd or possibly a fiberglass hugger that I can cut and modify.

EDIT: I found a company called Air Tech. They make a hugger exactly the way I described. No chain gaurd and it sits flat on the brace. They make the parts when you order, so it's 3-4 weeks out untill I get it. Talked to a guy named Walt and he was super helpfull. The part was about a hundred bucks with shipping.

Air Tech part #AT95. You do need to drill a few holes into the brace to mount it, but if I keep the mounting hardware as small as possible, it should be just fine.

VTR1000F 06-01-2015 01:16 PM

Crux, I'm sure I've seen a hugger similar in design to the Air Tech part sourced from another make/model bike used with the 900rr brace mod. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it came from and I can't find the post now. Don't remember if it was on this site or the UK site. I supose it doesn't matter now as you've found the Air Tech hugger. My very helpful information comes too late I guess.

Jack Flash, did you purchase that carbon ebay hugger? I've been wondering about the quality. It looks like the same hugger used by Revelation here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...r-build-27264/ I like the look of it, but would like to know the quality is OK before dropping the $140.

And, Revelation, if you see this, is that ebay hugger the one you have/had on your bike with the 900rr brace mod? Did you think the quality was OK?

EDIT: I found it. It was our very own kenmoore posting on the UK site and he had to shim it to make it work as seen in this thread, so it's probably not something Crux is after. There, more helpful info.

And xeris, kenmoore's "antenna array" is obviously a super-mega paint stripper equipped with disk brake in the background.

Jack Flash 06-02-2015 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F;386823
Jack Flash, did you purchase that carbon ebay hugger? I've been wondering about the quality. It looks like the same hugger used by Revelation here: [URL
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/dutch-streetfighter-build-27264/[/URL] I like the look of it, but would like to know the quality is OK before dropping the $140.

Yes I did. Good quality. I don't regret the purchase.

My question to you Steve, is why would you spend 140$ to install on your imaginary brace ??? LOL !

VTR1000F 06-02-2015 09:37 AM

Imaginary brace? That's nuthin'. I practically have a whole imaginary SuperHawk by now. I don't want to put everything together in one pile to confirm that. It's a sickness. I'm not proud.

kenmoore 06-02-2015 02:30 PM

The antenna ! in the photo is the front wheel of my mountain bike as seen through the frame. Sorry to diss appoint guys.

My hugger is a cheap Chinese knock off from E Bay that fits a 2004 Yamaha R1, paid about 20 bucks for it. The shim stacks give it clearance on the back wheel.

It came with three holes already moulded in so the only drilling I did was for the mounting holes in the brace that were then tapped to accept the bolts. I didn't shim the front bolt, only the side ones for clearance.

Been on the bike for ages now and no problems. I think it finishes of the bike and looks factory.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...pstceugepf.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...pssyh1x8ck.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...psgtcptqan.jpg

For $20- And a bit of time I am happy! No chain guard for me, what is a bit of plastic or carbon going to do if I throw a chain? and as I am an OCC as well as an OCM cleanliness is not a problem.

Hope this helps!

NZSpokes 06-02-2015 02:36 PM

Kenmore, where did you get your exhaust hangers and rear bottle delete from?

kenmoore 06-02-2015 03:25 PM

Hangers are from Projection Racing in the U.K and rear delete is genuine HRC from the U.K as well.

James Deaton does a rear bottle delete on here, give him a PM I'm sure he won't mind.

thedeatons 06-02-2015 07:03 PM

Thanks Kenmoore!!! I have 3 bottle deletes left actually...

What an awesome forum.

James

NZSpokes 08-12-2015 10:42 PM

So the plan with the later model ones is to have the brace as far back as you can?

Do you get wheel clearance ok?

Jack Flash 08-13-2015 09:39 AM

Yes Spokes, that's right. You can have the brace sit over the nipple that is on the swing arm itself, and sits very close to the wheel well.

As for clearance, it's not an issue, the tire fits no worries. For a better understanding, look back at pics in post 2 and 3.

NZSpokes 08-13-2015 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 389413)
Yes Spokes, that's right. You can have the brace sit over the nipple that is on the swing arm itself, and sits very close to the wheel well.

As for clearance, it's not an issue, the tire fits no worries. For a better understanding, look back at pics in post 2 and 3.

Thanks Jack. Will post pics once its done. It will be a little different.