Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Suspension Mod Identification

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Suspension Mod Identification

I have the same suspissions about my previously owned hawk. when I got a carb cleaning done, they told me I had a dynojet jet kit already installed, which I wasn't told about. not that I mind, but I've had to dial my forks back 4 rings above the top, and eased off on the damping settings too just to get it so it didn't knock my teeth out every time I hit a bump. not exactly typical from all the research I've done. I wonder if maybe its got some stiffer springs in there. travel is fine. just rigid.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Squid

Mithrandir
It's really hard to know anything except by feel until you start pulling the forks apart. Perhaps a simple check for aftermarket springs is to lift the front of the bike and pop one of the fork caps. Look at the spacer itself to see if it looks hand cut or non-standard material (such as PVC pipe). After that, really the only other way to tell is pull the full cartridge out of the fork.

Rigid forks sounds a lot like they could have changed the springs and probably the fork oil weight to something heavier than stock (maybe 15W - stock is ATF at about 7.5W). Really had to say anything specific without looking inside.

If they're too rigid, I would recommend changing the oil weight. Just drop the forks out of the bike, turn them upside down to drain and refill. Without knowing what was in them previously, I would suggest maybe going back to ATF and seeing how that feels. Too stiff, then drop back again to 5W. Too soft, go to 10W.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
First, how much do each of you weigh. Lighter riders will find the forks deficits less vexing.

Second, FYI, the stock spring spacer is a thin steel tube with a machine welded seam down the side. It is exactly 10 cm long.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
The quickest way I know to tell if the front "has been done" is to check the sag. I don't think that it is possible to get the correct setting with the stock suspension.

I weigh the same and it is a world of difference between stock and upgraded suspension. For me it has meant a difference of between 10 and 20 mph in the same turns.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:18 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
At 195, you should see significant braking dive from the stock setup.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

Yep, it was the same for me ! ;-)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Stock forks will bottom out riding up a driveway at about a jogging pace.. you will feel and hear a god almighty WHACK when you do it, so be prepared !