Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

suspension drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 AM
kneeedragger
Squid

ericb269 is on a distinguished road
suspension drop

hey guys does anyone know where to buy a linkage to drop the super hawk, and if so how do you drop the front of the bike. thx
Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
dropping the front is easy lower the triple tree on the fork tubes, simple as that but you'll bottom out a lot faster (and harder). as for the rear i have no idea hopefully someone else will chime in
Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Why would you want to do this, are you vertically challenged?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Lowering the hawk will cause nasty ground clearance problems during cornering, it' s already a problem at stock height, but lowering front and rear will at least make it stable and wobbleless
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
on my ex's old sv650 i must have made four sets of dogs bones to set the bike's height increasingly higher. she started low and worked her way back up to stock height. and changing dog bones is a PITA.

my hawk's previous owner was a short woman. i looked under the bike and there is a bolt and double nut set up in place of the dog bones. so, it's adjustable up and down. very neat feature. too bad the sv didn't have it!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
kneeedragger
Squid

i think the bike will look good lower and it will be more stable. as far as the clearence issue is it just the exaust that has the issue or what other points do i need to look at. thx for all the input.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well it's the exhaust header and the sidestand, and the footpegs... All of them get closer to the ground... And none of them are that high up to begin with...

As for changes in stability with a lowered bike... None... nothing... doesn't make one iota of difference...

The stability of the bike at speed and cornering stability is affected by the chassie attitude (angle) and the variables of the front fork (trail, rake) and those remain unchanged (or very close to unchanged) if you drop the bike equally front and back...

If you want straight line stability raise the front vs the rear... If you want flickability with some nervousness raise the rear vs the front...

If you feel the bike is unstable, tell us how, when and where and we'll help you figure out the cause... If it's just for looks, go ahead and lower it and have fun... just take it slow and figure out the lean angle before you deck it the first time... Metal against pavement kicks the rear loose real easy...
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
kneeedragger
Squid

ya most of it is for looks but i love ripping up conners so I think the best bet is to leave it alone thaxs fo all the input guys. I will prob have hawk rider do my front forks and call it good for now.