SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   superhawk - wake me up (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/superhawk-wake-me-up-17061/)

Blueracer 12-27-2008 09:31 AM

superhawk - wake me up

ok I have a 2003 blue beast that was all factory when I picked it up in August. Only has 3000 miles and needs to be dressed up. Since I bought it I have added: Watsens, integrated rear brake/signal, T-Rex sliders, new front pegs, smoke double-bubble, trimed down the plate/fender and drilled out baffle with (8) 3/4" holes and custom superchicken decals. Now it is in the shop being rejetted with a Dynokit and BMC filter being added. I am not handy at all so I have to dump $$ at the shop. Besides all the cosmedic additions and the recent flow help anyother suggestions? Down the road when I look at pipe/slip-ons what is the way to go? Ofcourse I picked up this bike to justify having one with a low purchase $$ well that budget is blowout - it is just fun to have the look and power.... you know just incase. Any other cool cosmetic add-ons or performance suggestions? I am 35 fit 215 so I am not ripping it up plus I only put 3,000/yr on a bike on curvy backside roads and hwy (not racing). Please send pics of your bike -- i want ideas. Thanks guys

PUSHrod 12-27-2008 10:10 AM

Official Honda shop manual. Secrets abound, a 'must read' before each shop visit, keeps more money in your pocket, gets better service because you no longer sound like a mark when you present yourself at the service desk.

Cosmetics? Clear coat and buff the body work.

Blueracer 12-27-2008 03:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Now I've had 72 viewings and no other direction? Come on guys little help?

j shizzy wizzy 12-27-2008 03:34 PM

Get a new seat so you can ride more than two hours, sargent/corbin. Get some shaved/brighter front turn signals...people on here like the Watsens and Protons. I have yet too, because they are so expensive. Set up the suspension for your weight. Make the bike work good for you first, then spend the money on the looks. IMO.

Oh, and SEARCH these forums!! theres great info already in here!

Stevebis1 12-27-2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blueracer (Post 193708)
Thanks for the heads up. Now I've had 72 viewings and no other direction? Come on guys little help?

Hey Blueracer - I am much in the same boat you are. Got my Superhawk in September mostly stock. READ the forums! Tons of information and you will learn important stuff - RR and CCT for instance.
Lots of other info too - I am still scraping the surface. No one will be able to suggest everything you may want to do in in one post. So spend the time looking.
One hint - check out Hawkrider. He is the administrator and has his own site.
Good luck

RK1 12-27-2008 05:07 PM

For anyone who weighs more than about 115 lbs., the best mod is about $100 for proper weight fork springs.

hawxter996 12-28-2008 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blueracer (Post 193686)
ok I have a 2003 blue beast that was all factory when I picked it up in August. Only has 3000 miles and needs to be dressed up. Since I bought it I have added: T-Rex sliders, new front pegs, smoke double-bubble, trimed down the plate/fender and drilled out baffle with (8) 3/4" holes. Now it is in the shop being rejetted with a Dynokit and BMC filter being added. I am not handy at all so I have to dump $$ at the shop. Besides all the cosmedic additions and the recent flow help anyother suggestions? Down the road when I look at pipe/slip-ons what is the way to go? Ofcourse I picked up this bike to justify having one with a low purchase $$ well that budget is blowout - it is just fun to have the look and power.... you know just incase. Any other cool cosmedic add-ons or performance suggestions? I am 35 fit 215 so I am not ripping it up plus I only put 3,000/yr on a bike on curvy backside roads and hwy (not racing). Please send pics of your bike -- i want ideas. Thanks guys

Mike

put on a new shock, get the forks reworked ,premium tires and that would be all you really need.

other things such as for comfort your on your own.
mine is going to be anything other than comfortable.

pigwings 12-28-2008 07:37 AM

Get hawkrider to modify your forks

Malice 01-19-2009 10:18 AM

I got lucky when I got my Hawk as it already had all the performance bolt-ons I had planned on doing when I got it :cool: Now it's all about the cosmetics since I want a Sharkskinz lower and need to repaint the whole bike since the guy I got it from laid it down on both sides pulling out of his driveway. If I was starting from stock I would definately go with the performance stuff first then cosmetic.
________
The cigar boss

COLE 01-19-2009 10:28 AM

WWW.STREETFIGHTERSBYDESIGN.COM WAS AN AWESOME BOTTOM FAIRING FOR ONE, CLICK ON "NEW PRYAMID PLASTICS" ON HOME PAGE, HIGH MOUNT EXHAUST LOOKS THE BEST, DONT GET D&D ANYTHING, I HAVE EM AND THEY SUCK, CAME ON BIKE THO, UNIVERSAL FLUSH MOUNT BLINKERS ONLY LIKE 15$
http://www.streetfightersbydesign.co...KE%20B_PAN.gif

COLE 01-19-2009 10:30 AM

I 200 LBS. NEARLY AND DONT HAVE NE TROUBLE WITH FORKS IN TOWN OR WHEN TAKE TRIPS TO MOUNTAINS, ITS NOT A RACE BIKE

SlowHAWK 01-19-2009 10:35 AM

If your not handy.... a seat and a set of Helibars will make alot of sense.... you can swap the seat with no tools at all, and the bars you'll need very basic tools.... both will make the bike much more enjoyable to ride, and you shoudlnt' have to pay anyone to install them... plus, if you decide to sell, you can take them off easily and get back most of your money.

J.

Stevebis1 01-19-2009 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by COLE (Post 196605)
WWW.STREETFIGHTERSBYDESIGN.COM WAS AN AWESOME BOTTOM FAIRING FOR ONE, CLICK ON "NEW PRYAMID PLASTICS" ON HOME PAGE, HIGH MOUNT EXHAUST LOOKS THE BEST, DONT GET D&D ANYTHING, I HAVE EM AND THEY SUCK, CAME ON BIKE THO, UNIVERSAL FLUSH MOUNT BLINKERS ONLY LIKE 15$
http://www.streetfightersbydesign.co...KE%20B_PAN.gif

Great looking belly pan so I went to the site - $453 !!!!! Too rich for my blood :)

salmanilla2000 01-19-2009 01:28 PM

My project

I have VTR project going as well. I've attached a word doc with all the details. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I recently purchased front brakes from a 2001 Suzuki GSX-R1000 and the Watsen turn signals. But like you said, I'm going to pay a ton at the shop.

Good luck.

Can't load the attachment. Too big I think. Can't load it compressed either. PM me and I'll try and send it to you.

MLB 01-19-2009 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stevebis1 (Post 196617)
Great looking belly pan so I went to the site - $453 !!!!! Too rich for my blood :)

Plus, then you look like any other crotch rocket too.

finepooch 01-19-2009 03:10 PM

slip ons for sure. the sound is amazing. i like leo vince, arrow. i have yosh which are ok. there are many others that are great.
buell foot peg mod is cheap and really adds to comfort.

Hotbrakes 01-19-2009 03:15 PM

At a minimum set up your suspension for you.

Read Total Control by Lee Parks. Borders and Barnes & Noble have it. Changed my entire riding experience by reading this. Also explains how to set up your suspension. Who cares about the power if you can't put it on the ground.

E.Marquez 01-19-2009 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MLB (Post 196648)
Plus, then you look like any other crotch rocket too.

Nope, note even close
Attachment 29919
Some are in to the unfinished look.. If that works for you the Stock chinfairing is great... Many like the bike to look like something was not left off at the factory.

And the SH, no matter what you do to it, does not look like your run of the mill I4 running around.

nuhawk 01-19-2009 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken (Post 196682)
Nope, note even close
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ls/overall.jpg
Some are in to the unfinished look.. If that works for you the Stock chinfairing is great... Many like the bike to look like something was not left off at the factory.

And the SH, no matter what you do to it, does not look like your run of the mill I4 running around.

Your perfect gas tank and side covers make me drool. This is expensive equipment new so I respect what it is when it's well taken care of rather than the previous owners of my bike.

nuhawk 01-19-2009 06:34 PM

That's the infectious part of the addiction. There is no perfect Superhawk week after week. It's great. Everybody gets their turn.

sumthin_major 01-19-2009 06:41 PM

The closest I've seen to looking like the SH would probly be the mid 90's 600 I4's. The Superhawk is a unique lookin bike. My gsxr buddies call it the inbread hawk. But they still follow me through the twisties.

nuhawk 01-19-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by pigwings (Post 193749)
Get hawkrider to modify your forks

He did mine. Great stuff - stupid fuck in an Izuzu Trooper and a 188 miles later we got to do it again.

Greg's got the good stuff.

rnb 01-19-2009 07:07 PM

I have a sharkskinz lower & love it. Looks good & is durable. Just add heat blocking pads & wrap your pipes. Just installed a Rumble concepts undertail & polised the lips of my rims. Made a world of difference in the looks.

Hawkrider 01-20-2009 01:05 PM

Thanks for the props, guys!

Erik S. 01-21-2009 06:35 AM

Cosmetic, I like the look of rim stripes. I also went with a single muffler. I need to adjust the carbs, no big deal. I like the look, it cleaned up the tail a lot.

I don't know if I'd call it a "performance" mod, but the headlight wiring upgrade. I got my harness from www.easternbeaver.com and the higher wattage bulb from www.rallylights.com There are multiple threads on the forum about this, some guys go with HID lights. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15617

Jamie Daugherty is making billet shift levers to improve feel/shorten shift throw/lengthen lever. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17082

This is a $20 upgrade, putting LED in your taillight. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15217

Truckinduc is considering making adjustable rearsets. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16962

Sprockets are a cheap upgrade.

Finally, if you want a long discussion, ask some of these guys what type of oil they use in their Hawks.

Erik

LineArrayNut 02-17-2009 04:27 PM

how much higher wattage did you go with?

Originally Posted by Erik S. (Post 196899)
the higher wattage bulb

any heat issues?

Tweety 02-18-2009 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut (Post 201303)
any heat issues?

If you keep it at 80W or so there is no issue with heat...

But if you aren't running a relay harness, any bulb more powerful than stock is a risk of a melted wire harness or handlebar switch...

The wire's are ridiculously thin and all power is routed through the switch...

it drops from ~14V to below 12V at the bulb on the way with stock wiring...

Start with a relay and wiring... Then a new bulb...

LineArrayNut 02-18-2009 06:02 AM

yep, I would only do it with a relay. I've got a 80/85 and a 90/100 but I just want to do it... once.

Superclean09 09-06-2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by PUSHrod (Post 193692)
Official Honda shop manual. Secrets abound, a 'must read' before each shop visit, keeps more money in your pocket, gets better service because you no longer sound like a mark when you present yourself at the service desk.

Cosmetics? Clear coat and buff the body work.

I just bought a 2003 Superhawk with 3700 miles on it. I am importing it to Canada and want to keep it looking as good (or better) than it does right now. Can I apply clearcoat or is this something a bodyshop should do to get the best results?

poppazuti 09-07-2009 12:29 AM

clear coat it yourself

Don't be afraid to do the clear coat yourself. Follow the steps outlined in this forum.
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54874
You'll be amazed by the results. I'm about 75% done with mine and the results are mind blowing. Of course pics will be posted soon.
When this guy says to keep sanding after you think you've sanded enough, he's not kidding. I sanded my seat cowl for about an hour, and the tail section for about two.

Superclean09 10-14-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 234016)
Don't be afraid to do the clear coat yourself. Follow the steps outlined in this forum.
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54874
You'll be amazed by the results. I'm about 75% done with mine and the results are mind blowing. Of course pics will be posted soon.
When this guy says to keep sanding after you think you've sanded enough, he's not kidding. I sanded my seat cowl for about an hour, and the tail section for about two.

Anyone here clear coat the stock paint with results? My paint is pretty shiny with just wax on it but I have seen some exception shine on some of the bikes in the album. Is this because of extra clear coat or just nice wax on the stock paint?

bgrubb 11-11-2011 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Superclean09 (Post 238915)
Anyone here clear coat the stock paint with results? My paint is pretty shiny with just wax on it but I have seen some exception shine on some of the bikes in the album. Is this because of extra clear coat or just nice wax on the stock paint?

more or less its a combination of both. how well the paint was preped and then the steps of wet sanding and buffing and what not. i work at a body shop right out side cincinnati. im thinking about painting my hawk nsx grand prix white that we have left over from the nsx r we did and blacking the rest out.. just need to find a good cheep lower fairing that i like.