Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Stock Suspension adjust***NOT A SAG POST

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
Stock Suspension adjust***NOT A SAG POST

So i'm trying to get stock suspension where I want it. I understand how to measure sag.

I'd just like to set it to where it best suits my style of riding. I put the rear shock to setting 4. Big improvement from 2, but I may go to 5 or even 6 for 2 up riding.

THE QUESTION:

Should the front preload adjusters be symmetrical? Should the dampening screws be symmetrical? I turned each about 120 degrees clockwise, but they were not originally nor are they now (obviously) symmetrical. The right hand one appears to be rotated more. Is this how its supposed to be? I understand the setting on each is supposed to be identical, I'm just wondering if the position in the rotation is supposed to be identical or symmetric.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Front rebouund adjusters need to be the same number of turns and/or fractions of turns from full tight/full clockwise. You might end up with one punch mark at 10 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock etc. but all that matters is that they are out exactly the same turns from full tight.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Squid

OldGuy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Front rebouund adjusters need to be the same number of turns and/or fractions of turns from full tight/full clockwise. You might end up with one punch mark at 10 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock etc. but all that matters is that they are out exactly the same turns from full tight.
One caveat here. Do NOT overtighten the rebound damping screws when turning them all the way in as a starting point. Just turn them until they are lightly snug, NOT TIGHT or you can damage the rebound needle and it's seat it butts against.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Ok... help me understand what im doing. Right now my suspension is completely stock. I just looked on Race Tech's site and it says that the stock spring rate for the front is .585 kg/mm and me being 190lbs it calls for .887 kg/mm. Being that my springs are way too soft stock, should I be cranking down the preload adjusters for the time being??
Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
cal2az-I guess thats the idea. If you dont want to modify suspension adjust dampening and preload to better match your weight and riding style.

at 170lbs and plans to buy another supersport I see no reason to pour money into my bikes suspension. I find it fine, just wanted to make sure I didn't make it lopsided. It feels very symmetrical in turn initiation so I'm assuming settings are where they should be in relation to one another.

thanks for the advise rk1 and oldguy