Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Sprocket Questions asked again...help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:45 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
I took the easy route and went -1 on front, equals more than +2 in rear and I can't imagine going the extra +2... I've never topped out my S'Hawk, but do feel a noticable difference in sportiness, also vibes at my cruise speed of 80-90 cost me $12 for a 15 front, stock chain size and a noticeable improvement.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
i've got a top speed run venue that i've held her open to redline in 5th and shifted to 6th and it still pulls; the bmw k1200rs was dropping ever so slowly behind at this point past the 3 lengths i pulled from roll-on 90ish in 4th...this spot is miles long straight with a drag strip like profile... i think that it pulls 'better' in 6th for me, winding it past redline in 5th seems to lose momentum - i've never seen the rev limiter work on mine but i rarely shift higher than 9k...
Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
i think that it pulls 'better' in 6th for me, winding it past redline in 5th seems to lose momentum
Never tried it and don't have the stock rear sprocket on anymore, but that makes sense.

Red line in 5th is 150 mph on stock bike.

Top speed is usually reported as 155 mph. Maybe that's over revving in 5th, maybe not.

Bike won't pull red line in 6th, but if it pulled power peak (8750 rpm) it would be going guess what? 155 mph.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 AM
Squid
Squid

mattijw is on a distinguished road
I'm a aerodynamically challanged 6'4" and I found the stock gearing was defiantly to tall for me, I've just gone up to 43 on the rear and its way better. It lifts the front in first beautifully and when riding out on the roads i never have to drop through the clunky 2nd to 1st change for hairpins etc. In top on a bumpy side road i pulled a gps correct 147mph (showing 160+ on the clocks) with still a thousand rpm or so to go. I'm touring Scotland in a month or so its staying 16/43 but after that i'm considering the drop the front to 15 also.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:18 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Well, hate to do this, but if you search for sprockets, somewhere in this mass of collected intelligence concerning our beloved Superhawk, you will find a spreadsheet with a comparison of gearing and top speed

You'll also find multiple mentions of the fact that with STOCK gearing, you can not hit redline on the bike in 6th but can hit max speed in 5th, so making the gearing higher will NOT give you a greater top speed. The Superhawk is what it is.
we talked about this in another thread, the bike before was limited to how fast it would go due to drag vslack of power. but with a regear you get to use that 6th gear still and theoretically may be able to pull a higher top speed out of it than you could with the stock gearing. i made friends with 140 mph before my rr crapped out again and she pulled hard up to 140, i let off cause a cross wind had shifted me into the next lane, luckily it was a small hiway with zero traffic and fields on both end, but i bet had i stayed in it i could have gotten to 150 without much delay.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I went 15-44 and love it. Also, being a fan of reducing unsprung spinning weight for many benefits I won't mention here, the 520 conversion is nothing short of great if you have the money to do it right. That means: buy good sprockets, e.g., AFAM high tensil alum, Supersprox, etc., buy a good chain, e.g., DID, Regina Gold, buy a chain breaker/rivet tool because you'll need it to cut and connect your new chain, Cut the chain as short as possible to move the rear wheel forward as possible to reduce your wheelbase a bit. Check your wheel bearings when you have it apart.

great mod which doesn't reduce fuel consumption unless your a tourer, and it does reduce shifting in the twisties allowing more attention for other critical concerns.

You can spend 300+ for parts and tools.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
instead of buying two sprockets what if i just went to 45 teeth in the rear? Would it be comparable to -1 in the front and +2 in the rear?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83
instead of buying two sprockets what if i just went to 45 teeth in the rear? Would it be comparable to -1 in the front and +2 in the rear?
It would be very close, but bear in mind, with a 16 tooth front and 45 tooth rear you will need a new, longer chain. That will cost a bunch more than 2 sprockets.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Torque of the Devil
Squid

BBUK is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Judolisa
Hi all, I'm going to do the 520 sprockets conversion but I'm a bit lost.
I want more low end ummph and am thinking about just increasing the rear sprockets teeth to 43, i think the standard one is 41.

If anyone can answer my questions I'd be gratefully,

1. How much top end will i approx lose if I add 2 more teeth on the rear.
2.would loosing one on the front and add two on the rear kill my top end?
3.Where can i buy these sprockets?? I'm not keen on ebay ones, is there a blade sprockets or something that people use. I have no idea how to source anything other than standard ones.
4. Is aluminum to weak for v twins? would steel be better?

I just want to increase to low end a bit so its easier to pull up with out compromising my top end to much, I want it all i know lol

Any help on this would be gratefully received, Recently gone back to a VTR after a 954 Blade, not as much fun, v twins rule. got loads of mods to do over the next few weeks.

Lisa.

HOPE THIS HELPS, I HAVE FOUND IT SHOULD ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THOUGH.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83
how far back is your axle sitting in your swingarm? if it's back quite a bit now, you probably could sneak a 43 or 44 in there. Losen your axle nuts and see how far you can slide it up with everyhting in place, see how much slack you have by pulling your chain up and away from the sprocket.