Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

slow jets... anybody changed them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
slow jets... anybody changed them?

has anybody had any better luck with a leaner slow jet? the stock size is 45 right?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Squid

miken996
Re: slow jets... anybody changed them?

stock is 45 front and rear you are correct . And Honda wants way to much for them!!
If I recall they were $20.00 a piece!!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Squid

miken996

Why do you want to change your pilots if anything your hawk will benefit form richer pilots than leaner then again I depends on your altitude. going with richer pilot jets will make the hawk start easier when cold and could cut down on popping on decel.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:20 PM
MotoGP

it just seems to be lacking in the bottom end.... for whatever reason my bike runs like an inline four. tons of top end, some midrange... and a whimpy bottom. i'm running the stock main jet sizes (175/178) with the clip on the needle in the middle position.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Squid

miken996

Lots of factors here whats your altitude and have you done anything to the air box. My current setting at 5500 ft uncorked air box with stock filter
180 in front and 185 rear needles 6th clip 45 pilots and air screws 3/4 Micron race slipons, idle is rock solid at 1100 rpm and very resposive through out the rev range I do get the jerk at low throttle openings but no matter were I wack it the bike responds flawlessly no flat spots thats the goal. Previous settings stock air box config. 175 front 180 rear needles 5 clip pilots 45 3/4 turn out Bike ran great but I wanted a little more up top grunt. Uncorking the air box was the biggest seat of the pants diffrence I have noticed on my hawk it pulled like mack truck off the line before now it pulls like a freight train, How ever it makes the bike finicky at low speeds (not a big deal because the bike does respond every were just as fast as I can open the throttle). I love this mod I also have a dyno jet stage 1 kit. I will be buying the 48s to try to smooth out the low speed stuff. I was wrong on that price my dealer wants $28.00 a peice are they crazy!!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

tucson's elevation is 2649ft. my airbox is stock too.
her sotry goes like this: bike ran decent when i got it... not as much power as a liter v-twin should have , but it ran good. perfomed a bafflectomy and she ran like crap.... wouldn't go over 6k rpm without bucking like a bronco. i opened it up to find 198/200 main jet sizes and the clip on the 2nd from the bottom. ( might as well of had a garden hose dumping fuel into the cylinders) after countless jet changes i finally ended up at the stock settings ( 175/178 clip in the middle pos.) so now it doesn't seem to have as much bottom as beofre.... but i guess it could just be over-shadowed by the insane top-end power it has now. anyhow... i was thinking it could probably stand to drop a size with the slow jet because of my elevation.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Squid

miken996

Wow thats rich!! Have you checked your spark plugs seems to me those settings at that alt. could very well have carboned up your plugs also the baffalecamy is great for sound how ever you lose back pressure by doing this mod in turn bottom end but your bike will breath better allowing more top end thus explaning your good top end. So drilling your pipes could be the reason for your problems. This was very evedent with my previous bike my Honda 919 I removed the baffles and lost all my low end grunt and even after I put aftermarket pipes on I still could not duplicate my low end power I had with the stock pipes but did gain good top end the. baffles are like a fricken maze with an outlet the size of my thumb. I would rather have the top end and do things to help with the low like regear I have the 520 with 1 down 2 up and I love it and working on 1,000 miles on 520 and no problems yet!! However their is no harm in tring a richer slow jet go with the 48 if your plugs check out good. A good rule of thumb when jetting is throttle postion and not rpm find were the throttle opening is when you are having problems remeber 0-1/4 throttle, mixture screws, pilot jet, and needles coming in from 1/8 throttle all the way to 3/4 throttle with your mains coming in at 1/2 throttle to wide open hope this helps a little bit.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

I live in Denver (alt. 5820 ft) and carve the twisties at around 7000 feet, occasionally topping 13,000 feet. I changed mine (as per the manual's suggestion by Honda) from 175/178 to a leaner 172/175 (cost me $10). I've made a 5 mpg improvement riding the same. Response is more "snappy" at the throttle.

OEM jets are fine as they are at sea-level. Unless you switch to a "complete" exhaust system to include headers, I don't recommend increasing jet-size or replacing them.

Even K&N (aka DynoJet) admits only a 3Hp increase with their kit at near-redline rpms, (and a 5hp loss at 3-5k rpms, which is about where I shift anyway) and that's with a K&N air-filterpod insalled. Not worth the $75.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

ohh no... my main jets are spot on right now..... but my bike does seem too cough ( or detonate) aroung idle to 2k rpm... only when i hold it steady
Old 10-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Back Marker

RVO27

Does anyone know the part number for the #48 slow jets. All I can come up with is for the stock #45's.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:27 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

I put in the next size larger I think its a 48. The factory kit comes with a 50, I believe, but it was too rich. The 48 is perfect.
Ditto Chase's comments, i too tried the 50's that came in the Factory Pro TI jet kit and finally decided they were too rich and caused a surging problem.

Once i ordered the Honda 48's all was good.

Any decent Honda Dealer should be able to order the 48's. If they can't find the part number go to another dealer cause the one you are going to SUCKS.