Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shocks

Anybody bought an aftermarket shock lately?
I'm looking for a good price on a Wilbers, Fox, or Penske.
I think the Ohlins is too $$, since prices went up lately.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
I was wondering the same thing. I do know that a lot of overseas VTR owners put WP shocks on thiers. But i would like to know the experiences of others.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Squid

Dirk@Wilbers is on a distinguished road
Wilbers partners in the USA

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and also I'm kind of biassed as I'm working for the mothercompany Wilbers Products GmbH in Germany . Should you be interested in new Wilbers shocks for your Honda, follow this thread to a list of our new partners in the USA: http://www.motorcycle-suspension.com...nts/index.html

or contact by email at kontaktusa@wilbers.de.

I hope that you did not see my post as advertising (although, of cause, somehow it is) as I just wanted to give you the info...

Take care and always ride safe!

Dirk
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I installed the Penske. If you want to upgrade it you can. Also US made so service is easy.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I must say the prices for the Wilbers stuff are pretty darn reasonable...
Old 08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Smile

I just ordered the Wilbers 641 from Max BMW out of N.Y. for $699. Hope to receive in two weeks or so as it will likely come from Germany after being built specific to my weight and riding style. I read an article in PB magazine where they replace the stock unit off a CBR900 w/ 30k miles for a new shock and gained nearly 4 m.p.h. and dropping nearly 4 seconds off the time for a specific test course. I'm pumped and can't wait to get my new toy!!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
One other option you may want to explore is having a Race-Tech Gold Valve kit fit into your OEM unit (can have any suspension shop install it in minutes). THis is what I am currently running (just had it rebuilt) and it works great! Food for thought.

cheers
Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
I have the Fox, it cost $800 a few years ago, is a decent shock and has a separate ride height adjuster which is great.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Only one problem with the Fox....they don't make street shocks anymore, good news is they still make re-build kits for them though. You can still find some good used ones and some leftovers at times for a good deal. I found a Bitubo shock a while back on Ebay and it has ride height rebound and compression settings but they no longer make the racing version just the emulsion type.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
I guess Id better check on a rebuild kit before I cant get one.. it hasnt been serviced since it was new. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

No problem, last time I checked they were still available through Fox and should be for a few years to come.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
HyperPro also makes an aftermarket shock for the VTR. And you can even get it with a black spring instead of the silly purple one.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.p...type=Type%2041

Last edited by killer5280; 08-27-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

I've heard good things about HP shocks and WP also makes one for the SH.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever used an Elka shock? I found their site while browsing for a new shock that wasn't as expensive as an Ohlins. I'm curious if anyone has on on their SH, and how they like it...

-Dave in NY
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dave in NY
Has anyone ever used an Elka shock? I found their site while browsing for a new shock that wasn't as expensive as an Ohlins. I'm curious if anyone has on on their SH, and how they like it...

-Dave in NY
I haven't ever used one, but they are obviously quality shocks. I think Traxxion Dynamics sells them, but Traxxion's website sucks so bad I can't tell any more.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Squid

rideawn is on a distinguished road
I've heard all kinds of good things about Elka. Check out what a VFR group has going. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...pic=35712&st=0

Sounds like John at Elka and Vlad at motoworldonline.com have something going for the VFR. Anyone know either of these guys and able to find out if a program could be offered for the VTR?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Somehow I overlooked the resurrection of this thread....

I have an Elka on my 1000RR. It was originally a remote res. preproduction, race only unit. I sent it back to Elka and they upgraded it to the production piggyback style. Valving was still all dicked up so I took it to my shock guy who revalved and dyno'd it. It works much like an Ohlins now and I've got it pretty close to being correctly set up.

So, the answer to your question: Great quality shock. Stock valving (at least for the 1000RR) sucks. Elka has a lot of experience in the dirt and snow, not so much with street. If you have the time to develop it then it is a good deal.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Just got my Wilbers today after less than two weeks. It'll be a week before I can post the results but you can be sure I will.
Oh yeah...........................
Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Superstock

First couple of rides in.......too stiff from factory...just took out some preload and it's better now. Still stiffer than I like but I'll give it a week or two. Sure soaks up holes and bumps correctly. Best deal around at 700bux from www.maxbmw.com Got to me in two weeks even though the salesman told me to expect six. High and low speed comp damp adjust, rebound, remote reservoir. Sure beats $1200
Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Just had my Wilbers 641 installed today. Didn't think there was that big an improvement until I looked down at the speedo and noticed I was going much faster than usual! Along with the new shock, I did an RC51 front brake, MC and SS line swap w/ Galfer carbon brakes. I'm so glad I did the brake mod because it's so much easier to travel at higher speeds with the new shock. Brakes are much firmer, and the brakes sound pretty cool when applied, like a small dental drill.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've had a 641 triple clicker on my VFR(s) now for about a year. GREAT shock; paid about $725 shipped on a group buy. I've also had penske and ohlins also on superbling; both were used.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Superstock

+1 on Hawkbill's post.....New RC MC and calipers and Wilbers shock and RT springs and Gold Valves. I was sort of expecting some sort of epiphany and didn't get it and was ALMOST disappointed after all that money spent until I realized that I was not feeling any bumps even though they were flying by under me and I was now going 20% faster. Glad of the new brakes!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Back Marker

Talking New Ohlins for my baby!

I finally took the plunge and received my new Ohlins shock yesterday - I can't wait to mount it and try it out!

I ordered through an outfit called hardracing.com (no snickering please). They had the best price I've seen for the Ohlins, $848 plus shipping. I ordered it Friday and it showed up yesterday! It's supposed to be set up from the factory for my weight (gulp) and riding style - it was shipped straight from Ohlins in North Carolina I believe.

Yippee!

-Dave
Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey, you got a great deal! $848 ain't bad at all! I've ordered from Hardracing before. They're a good bunch of guys. Make sure the spring is correct for your weight. If not, have Hardracing get it fixed for you. If they're an Ohlins authorized dealer then they should be able to get the correct spring installed for you at no charge (though you may have to cover shipping since you now already have the shock).
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point
The Rear Shock on my VTR has the following part number ......
"Showa - MBB731" is this the stock standard shock on these bikes?

Gerrit
www.formulagti.com
Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Administrator
World Champion

If it says Showa anywhere then it's stock. Should have a yellow spring and only adjustable for rebound and (stepped collar) preload.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 AM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Yip...thats it Greg...it is the standard shock...Why so many negative comments on this shock?....I use the bike for commuting, and long outrides...not track days..do I need to concern myself with changing the shock?

Gerrit
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
There is nothing wrong with that shock at all... Other than it doesn't fit the weight of a lot of riders and have limited adjustments... And combined with a well set up front it becomes even more apparent... So once you start dialing in your front with replacement springs and such you automaticly start looking at your rear too...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Hey, you got a great deal! $848 ain't bad at all! I've ordered from Hardracing before. They're a good bunch of guys. Make sure the spring is correct for your weight. If not, have Hardracing get it fixed for you. If they're an Ohlins authorized dealer then they should be able to get the correct spring installed for you at no charge (though you may have to cover shipping since you now already have the shock).
Yeah, I'm very happy - I didn't think I could quite swing the Ohlins until I found that price. The shock came set up for my weight/riding style, or at least is supposed to - it was shipped directly from Ohlins.

Front end modifications to be added next month, I think I'll go the RaceTech springs and Gold Valve, unless a cheap front end falls into my lap.

Now if only the weather would improve so I could test the shock!

-Dave in NY
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, no kidding. How hard did you guys get hit over there today? We got about 2" last night and it continues tonight.

Quick Reply: Shocks