Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

She will ne' stop en a dime cap'n! (or, why I upgraded the brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
She will ne' stop en a dime cap'n! (or, why I upgraded the brakes)

Oh, but she will. She will.

VTR brakes are okay. Just okay. The stock MC definitely leaves something to be desired, but with a set of EBC HH pads the calipers and rotors provide pretty decent speed bleed-off. Still needed 3-4 fingers and a significant effort at the lever to get her hauled down from speed at the track. Sufficient, but requiring a LOT more effort than my F4i w/ a brembo MC. Grab a handful, and then progressively squeeze harder and harder as the weight transfers.

The upgrade to 320mm rotors and 954 MC and calipers is night and day. Firm at the lever, with plenty of feel for how the front is reacting. Add in another set of EBC HH pads: Holy S#!t. While bedding in the brakes, the front tire was getting the balled-up rubber usually seen at the edges of the rear tire as you get really throttle-happy coming out of corners. While it's still not quite as 'hardwood floorboards' at the lever as a new ZX-14, braking into corners is a one-finger affair now, with 2 finger stops thus far reserved for pad bedding and emergency stops.

Lets hear opinions from the rest of you who have done front end brake upgrades. What are you running, and how is it?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I've got the master cylinder and calipers off of a '03 600rr. Stock superhawk lines and I'm not sure what the pads are because they were nearly new when they came with calipers. I always thought the stock setup was good, not great. But after switching those components it becomes pretty evident just how sub-par they were. They are much more responsive and the lever feels great. Not as nice as most of the new bikes in the showroom but I think it would come pretty close with stainless line and HH pads. I now have an integrated resivoir too. It gives a sleeker look to the cockpit.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
CBR1000RR front radial all over... I doubt running into a wall would stop me quicker... Do not use more than 2 fingers unless wearing parachute...
Old 08-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
02 GSXR 1000 calipers and MC. Hel lines and Vesrah pads.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
98 900RR calipers (same as 929 and SP-1, possibly F4i too), 06 ZX-6R Nissin radial MC, steel lines and HRC hard bite pads. Nothing short of a Ducati 1098 brakes better....
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
skip the EBC HH and get a set of vesrah RJL's. EBC, imo, bite hard at first but trail off... and once you get them hot, good god, they suck. the RJL's are the most linear pad that do not fade w/ heat i've ever ran.

tim
Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 AM
MotoGP

I have read great comments about RJLs (and SRJLs). Will likely be my next set of pads (HRCs are nice but $$$$$$$).
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
I have read great comments about RJLs (and SRJLs). Will likely be my next set of pads (HRCs are nice but $$$$$$$).
wouldn't recommend SRJL's unless it's a dedicated track bike. the RJL's
are all the rage for a reason !

tim
Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Master Cylinder question

Sorry for the newb question, but here it goes.

Will this MC fit my 2005 VTR?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I installed Spiegler SS lines, 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 front brake calipers, but I'm not getting the stopping power everyone else is getting. I'm guessing it's because of the stock MC, when I should have upgraded the MC. What do you think and where can I find a MC that will help me out?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
Sorry for the newb question, but here it goes.

Will this MC fit my 2005 VTR?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I installed Spiegler SS lines, 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 front brake calipers, but I'm not getting the stopping power everyone else is getting. I'm guessing it's because of the stock MC, when I should have upgraded the MC. What do you think and where can I find a MC that will help me out?
probably. seems like a lot of $$$ ?

cbr900rr also used a 5/8 mc ( & the same lever ), the f4i, iirc is also a
5/8". search the site somebody had a list of the most common.

tim
Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...=p4506.c0.m245
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GSXR-...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NINJA...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...Q5fAccessories

Better yet, here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...Q5fAccessories
Buy it, use the master, sell the calipers. You'll make another 50 off the calipers.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I did the gixxer calipers, lines, EBC pads all in my 07 build. Never did anything about the stock mc but I did find that bleeding it properly had a lot to do with my brake performance. I've got a 954 on the shelf but I can stoppie at a hundred with no fade. One or two fingers is all it takes.

It's almost easy to overdo it and that's never good.

Footnotes: My front has been reworked so I don't get the death-dive of the stock forks. The rear has had the same treatment so it squats rather than wants to lift.

Don't get me wrong, my 07 build was all about the scarey stock brakes. The suspension mods were convenient while I had the bike tore down and had the cash. The combination is the best for the road - whole new bike - no bull!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Throwing another question into the pot - has anyone compared a radial MC to non-radial? If so, noticeable difference?

Okay, another one: I noticed that some of the levers don't come with reservoirs. Will the SH's easily fit?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Throwing another question into the pot - has anyone compared a radial MC to non-radial? If so, noticeable difference?

Okay, another one: I noticed that some of the levers don't come with reservoirs. Will the SH's easily fit?
I think the radials are preferred but I have no personal experience. The levers have to be specific to the MC they are not universal.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by chickenstrip

I noticed a difference when I switch from a conventional to a radial, despite the fact they both had identical piston diameters
Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

I switched from an SP-2 MC to a radial from a ZX-6R (06 model; believe its geometry is close to a Brembo 19/16) and the difference was staggering. Highly recommended.

P.S. Not sure about all the physics involved but the feel and power were/are greatly improved
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Another thing is the ZX6 has a larger diameter piston, which moves a larger amount of fluid with the same amount of lever travel. However it requires more strength to move it. So a smaller piston will be easier to squeeze, but will require more lever travel to move an equal amount of fluid.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 AM
MotoGP

later model ZX-6s (06 and up I believe) use a larger diameter piston while the earlier versions used a smaller diameter. One last thing, it is not just about piston size but also leverage on the lever itself. As I noted earlier, despite the larger piston (which reduces line pressure for any given effort), the leverage at the lever is such that braking effort is reduced and power is up noticeably.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I think the radials are preferred but I have no personal experience. The levers have to be specific to the MC they are not universal.
Clarification: I meant the brake assemblies without reservoirs ..... can you switch the reservoir from the VTR brake assembly to the assembly W/O a reservoir? (I recall reading a post that implied it was not possible, though I don't understand why.)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

Clarification: I meant the brake assemblies without reservoirs ..... can you switch the reservoir from the VTR brake assembly to the assembly W/O a reservoir? (I recall reading a post that implied it was not possible, though I don't understand why.)
The reservoair in it self is the same... But on various MC's the mounting points and such are at different places/angles (clearence for fairing) and as such some of the plastic tabs might not be in the right place...

The "easy/lazy" solution get all matching parts and just bolt them together...

My solution, get a sheet of aluminium and cut a new mounting arm with holes in the right places, bend to my own liking and bolt together... Much easier/cheaper and I can decide where to put it to not hit fairings... But then again... I have all the tools needed and available...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
MotoGP

The difference between a radial and axial MC is very simple...

An axial (ie old faithful) has a linkage and moves the piston sideways when you move the handle towards the bar... Gives more leverage (more power with less work) and more compact size... Useful if you want to clamp the ever loving **** out of the calipers/discs and lock the front...

Axial MC's move the piston in the same direction as the lever... Less leverage, ie to clamp down on the brakes it will need a bit more force, but instead you have way more feel and "adjustability" when braking... Bulkier and might be tight against the fairing...

If you have upgraded the calipers and like all have reported have 2-3 finger braking the result is that you won't mind the loss in leverage, you can still lock the front very easily, but you are less likely to do so...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
My solution, get a sheet of aluminium and cut a new mounting arm with holes in the right places, bend to my own liking and bolt together... Much easier/cheaper and I can decide where to put it to not hit fairings... But then again... I have all the tools needed and available...
I feel the same way.
Attached Thumbnails She will ne' stop en a dime cap'n! (or, why I upgraded the brakes)-resbracket.jpg