Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

relocating stock exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
relocating stock exhaust ?

ok...

sorry if this has been covered before, but I was looking at picture online of high-mount exhausts for this bike.. And came across a stock photo side view, and got to thinking about something...

My dad's good friend ownes a muffler shop, and bends up his own exhaust all the time....

Is there any reason why I couldn't take the stock mufflers off, have him cut, and weld he exhaust pipe to come up higher, and remount the stock mufflers back onto the exhaust pipe, but at a higher point?

it seems the angle of the stock pipes, relative to the angle of the tail of the bike are very similar in angle, there is just a larger differance gap between tail and mufler on the stock setup, vs some highmounts...

I've seen pics of highmounts where they start really low, like ours done, then raise up real high, then other that are similar in angle, but start higher... could i do this?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

i'm sure i will go aftermarket at some point, but I really like the higher mufler look, and i'm gonna go intergrated blinker/brake light anyway, so burning blinkers isn't an issue... And it looks like i could still use stock pegs, but have the pipes above, and inside the stock peg mounts.....

any thoughts???

does this make since?

kinda this sort of look...

clicky here....

Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
It can be done...

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1143456/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1143460/

I saw this in a parking garage when I lived in Duluth MN.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jbeber
It can be done...

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1143456/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1143460/

I saw this in a parking garage when I lived in Duluth MN.
I figured there shouldn't be any problem doing it.. Slight change in exhaust pipe itself, but that about all...

The only thing I don't like about the one pictured, is the lack of rear foot pegs... I gotta salvage having rear pegs, because my wife will want to be able to go for a ride too...

I am going to take a closer look when i get home, but I should be able to salvage them.... Hmmm... i guess I gotta take a closer look...

Are those the stock peg mount on the yellow one i pictured in the first post? i haven't owned mine long enough to be albe to tell on little things like that...

Last edited by joshuatest; 01-10-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: cause i can....
Old 01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well the easy way of having the rear pegs with ALL high mounted mufflers is to use spacers and longer bolts on the stock mounts... which is what has been done on the top pic... There are no reason you can't do that with moved stockers...

Tho one of the reasons for going to slip-ons is saving weight...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well the easy way of having the rear pegs with ALL high mounted mufflers is to use spacers and longer bolts on the stock mounts... which is what has been done on the top pic... There are no reason you can't do that with moved stockers...

Tho one of the reasons for going to slip-ons is saving weight...
Thanks.. that is EXACTLY the info i was looking for... I plan to go slip on eventually, but after looking at the prices, and knowing I've got TONS of other truck mods that still are not paid for, not to mention just buying the bike... I don't see it happening anytime soon... I wanna buy the intergrated blinker/brake lights, undertail, lower fairing, and front flush mounts first...

But.. Since my dad's good friends owns the muffler shop, and I'm moving down there in a few months... I figured I can have him do it for me, and it will probably only cost me a case of beer... And i'm sure I can make the spacers, and bolts are cheap...

I will be sure to post pics of what i've done, once i've done it..