Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

RC Fairing on the hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: RC Fairing on the hawk?

I've seen them on Superhawks so yes they will. How? I'm not sure.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Squid

v2weapon
For anyone who's interested, I'll be doing this soon. With the GSXR forks and triples, I won't be able to mount the clip-ons above the top triple clamp. The lower bars won't clear the stock plastic, so I decided to get a set of RC51 race cowls from Sharkskinz and mount them on the 'hawk. I'm hoping to fabricate a plexiglass enclosure to fit in the RC51 air intake on the nose to mount the stock VTR high/low beam halogen bulb and trimmed down reflector.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Wow!!

Very interesting project!!! keep us in touch with this and good luck!

Ok, maybe luck have nothing to do here, so have a good work!!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Superstock

cdyer77

You mean like this?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Superstock

cdyer77

Or maybe this?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Superstock

cdyer77

Or possibly this?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey that looks goooooood!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:13 PM
MotoGP

How much of a pain in the a** was it or was it just a matter of fabing your own mounts?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Chris, that is a thing of beauty. Now my Sharkskinz can't get here fast enough. I like how the fairings are painted with the black stripe to flow into the tank bra, and the black tail finishes it off nicely. That bike is too pretty to put on a racetrack (like rc996's machine).

I'm sure I'm gonna paint my frame black before the whole package is finished, but otherwise you may have just given me a nice template to follow. Pic #2 is now my new computer desktop wallpaper. 8)
A buddy of mine is selling me his stock '01 RC51 exhaust, so I'll probably crib an idea from Doug and hook that up.

One day I'll get tired of wrenching and just go buy an RC51...but for now this is fun.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Very impressive... that bike rock!!

Damm!! there's a lot of guys with awesome machine here!!

Give us more detail cdyer77

Think this is the complete RC front end and also the RC swigarm ( SP1 model I think )? nice rearset too, a lot of detail!!

What about the engine?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
If I remember correctly (this was a friends bike I helped him build) The list s was something like this:
RC radiators
CBR 929 front end
Custom braced swingarm
Ebay (forget the mfg) rearsets
RC exhaust
Street & comp steering stabilizer mounted to the frame (before they made the top mount ones)
Modified guage mount with replaceable ears
Modified choke cable (mounted to frame near steering neck)
Aftermarket cams (forget mfg)
Fox TC rear suspension
K&N filter
Jet kit

Thats all I remember - I'll have to call him and ask if he remembers anything else (he sold the bike a few years ago.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Can you remember how he mounted the RC radiators? I'm considering doing that also, but the RC rads have different mounts. Did he have to transplant the mounts from the VTR to the RC rads?

I also noticed there is no RC-type fairing stay. Did he build a custom bracket to support the nose on the gauge support?

Icebud, no surprise our forum members have kick-*** bikes...the squid punks who don't appreciate their bikes enough to drop money, time, and effort on them are out thrashing and crashing, not sharing pics and ideas on this forum. Of all the forums I'm a member of, this is my favorite. The depth of knowledge and experience here is phenomenal.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Superstock

cdyer77

We used the RC clips for the radiators and made some alum. brackets to mount them.
The upper was a vortex (they have replacable ears on them),that we drilled out to fit the RC where it attaches to the neck (where it bolts on)
Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa
Top stuff, I asked this question on my local VTR forum just last week... good to see Im not the only one with taste : )
Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

nice bike... why wouldn't you just buy an rc51 to begin with?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Superstock

cdyer77

Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot
nice bike... why wouldn't you just buy an rc51 to begin with?
my buddy got the bike really cheap. It was crashed with a salvage title, busted plastic and the front end was smashed.

So for $1000 he got a project bike that turned into this.

$1000 for a builder or $10, 000 for a new RC-51? Though decision.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Here in Aus I got my VTR1000F brand new for almost half the price of a new SP... thats major incentive when you cannot really afford the $$$ for the RC... also leaves a bit more cash in the back pocket to get the Superhawk up to performing at an acceptable standard.
The end of year runnout on the 04 Firestorm/superhawk was $12,999 ride away... the 05 model two months later was $15,900 + on road costs... what changed ?? not much.. except that here in Aus, they dont provide the rear ducktail cover anymore !!!!
A new RC51... about $22,000+ on road costs....

So take the standard Superhawk and drop a tooth at the front, new fork springs and valves, rear spacer, (mine came with remus highmount pipes brand new from shop) which means i have spent $230 AUD and you have a bike that will hold its own on most of the roads we ride against just about any of the superbikes... (track is a different story)

Would i like an RC... damn straight... can i afford it.. nope
Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Originally Posted by v2weapon";p=&quot
One day I'll get tired of wrenching and just go buy an RC51...but for now this is fun.
Hehe! I must admit that I had the same thinking before to buy my Wilbers shock and my CBR1000RR front end for my swap!!

I was asking me: Why not buy a RC instead of putting again 2000$ on the VTR!? I must say that it was also the reflexion of my girlfriend!! She's still finding me crazy to put as much money on this bike but I love it ( the bike!! 8) ) and also my girlfriend of course even she's thinking that I'm crazy!!

So, my two choice was:

1- Buy a RC51 (SP1) for almost 9000$ and have no more money to put on it and have a bike like any other RC51.

or

2- Continu to put money on the VTR! ( initial price paid 5000$ current money put 2000$ and to come: wilbers shock 900$ and front end swap evaluation 900$ for a final price of also 9000$ ) But at the end I will have my own bike! A bike that I will have done with my hands and that will not look as any other ( or almost, you guys have also great VTR )!

The choice was not too hard to make. For more I've also think about the insurance, the VTR ( standard class ) cost me only 500$ FULL ( 300$ next year as I will hit 30 years old ) and a RC ( full sport ) will have cost me 600$ for the others only!

So, the VTR story continu... I'm supposed to have my Wilbers shock next week and the CBR1000RR front end is now on my kitchen floor ( no garage for the moment, my girlfriend find this very decorative!! )

A lot of job are still waiting me, but I'm now addict of this bike
Old 07-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Icebud, let us know how the Wilbers shock turns out. One of my buddies ordered one for his Yamaha FJR1300, waited 6 months for delivery, and I helped him install it. It made a very nice difference in the ride and handling of that barge, which definitely impressed me.

Inderocker, my story is similar to others'. I was poised to buy an '05 RC51, using my g/f's employee discount at the Honda dealership where she works. The day before I planned to write the deposit check to order it in, the used bike shop up the road called me to tell me about this Superhawk they had. I went to check it out, and ended up buying it for $3500 cash right then. The motor was already built to full Stage 2 race specs, how could I say no at that price? And here's a well-kept secret: almost a third of parts from an RC51 will interchange with the Superhawk with minor mods, but parts for the VTR cost much, much less. Plus, the VTR starts out, from the factory, 8 lbs lighter than the RC-51 (not that significant, but it's a start). The RC-51 may make more peak power, but it's higher on the tach, making it less accessible on the street. On my top secret testing road, I've had mine up to 150 mph (indicated on my GPS; the speedo was showing 175 or so). It may go faster, but not on public roads with me piloting it. I like the way the RC looks, but I can't imagine needing any more power than I already have, on the street. That leaves the chassis and bodywork, which I'm happy to upgrade to RC-level specs. Some people smoke crack, some people philander around on their spouse, some people become alcoholics...my hobby is wrenching on my beloved VTR.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 AM
MotoGP

Adam we have so much in common now if I just had your money!!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by v2weapon";p=&quot
. Some people smoke crack, some people philander around on their spouse, some people become alcoholics...my hobby is wrenching on my beloved VTR.
I have bad habits too, I scubadiving and motorcycle.

Departing for St Lucia Sep 27 getting married (eloping) on Oct 3rd, then honeymoon. Oct 7 departing St Lucia.

Now you all know where my money goes

Could I pick more expensive hobbies.....

......well at least I dont have a private pilots lisc. and fly all the time. :wink:
Old 07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
MotoGP

Yeah getting married is an expensive hobby. Just hope you don't go through the more expensive part like 50% of us married people what's that called again.....Oh yeah devorce!!

Luckily I haven't experienced that part,(yet)!!