Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Pod Filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Squid

scpt kirk is on a distinguished road
Pod Filters

Has anybody besides me tried or attempted pod filters? And why not run them to remove that air box thats a pain in the @$$? I cant seem to tune my carbs correctly. But I do have a drop in kn filter that works lovely. Any suggestions?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scpt kirk
Has anybody besides me tried or attempted pod filters? And why not run them to remove that air box thats a pain in the @$$? I cant seem to tune my carbs correctly. But I do have a drop in kn filter that works lovely. Any suggestions?
i really dont think putting the pods in is gonna make anything better from a stock setup on the shawk.to much air flow will give you headaches and will never be able to tune it right.
you can try tho,would like to know the results.
and,i can tell you,99% of people who had K&N in their bikes,went back to OEM air filter,there is part of your tuning problem,ditch the K&N filter and put in a stock air filter.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Squid

My biggest problem is the crancase breathers and all the internal things on the inside of the airbox. That and I still have no clue what to do with the sensor. The reason I am bringing this up is because I had to replace a fuel line and have the airbox off, it is being such a pain in the butt to put back on though.
As for the kn filter.....I actually put some time and effort (about of week) into the tuning process to get it right. I have no problems with it. Just hate putting the airbox back on. I seem to always have problems with the front crancase breather tube.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Besides the K&N Filter, the TPS, and the Breather tubes... what about the constriction from the cones so close to the carb mouth? If the cone filters are so close to the carb mouths the sucticion would slow down the airflow rather than help it, if I am correct. I think if you were to open up the airbox it would benefit you more. Please correct me if I am wrong. YES! it is a pian in the @** to remove but is it being a pain in the @** to remove worth a loss in power?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
That and I still have no clue what to do with the sensor.
What sensor?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
What sensor?
Im Guessing the TPS. Even though it mounts to the... rear carb? IF Im correct.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Scpt kirk, two thing you can do to make your life much easier when reinstalling the air box.

1. For the front tubes, release the breather front the front cylinder head to give you a little loose to work with.
2. Spray some wd-40 or something like that on the inside of the rubber hoses, or, on the air box tubes. This will allow the rubber to slide easily in.

Once your finished with the back tubes, remember to reconnect the front breather tube to cylinder head....or you'll find the front of the bike and your right leg full of oil affter a ride....
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
MotoGP

^ (squid) Yeah, and that has nothing to do with airflow or fuel... so I was trying to figure out what the problem was... unless it's just physically in the way.

Good luck getting CV carbs to work with those pod filters. Maybe talk to the guy that won this VTROTM: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-2012-a-28488/
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Squid

I was actually thinking of totally eliminating the airbox altogether. And yes the sensor I am talking about is the TPS. As for the front tube....Unfortunately it already came off the front cylinder, so thats the way I am going to have to do it. I just didnt want to have to take so much off of the bike to get to it. I wanted to be lazy this time....guess thats not going to work out the way I wanted it to.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Squid

I dont know if it is the TPS....it sits on the right side under the air box (if you are sitting on the bike). It connects to the airbox itself via tube. In fact what im talking about can be found on hondapartsline.com under carb. assembly and it is part no. 30
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Squid

Sorry wrong info
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Squid

What im talking about is the air suction valve.....sorry
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
MotoGP

That's all part of the PAIR emissions system... most people just tear it all out and cap it off.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Squid

Fair enough....my just is running fine right now, Im too afraid to take it apart and something bad happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:57 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Fair enough....my just is running fine right now, Im too afraid to take it apart and something bad happen.
aw come on... thats half the fun of workin on old vehicles
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

Haha, then I definitely would avoid messing with the airbox/carbs...

FWIW taking out the PAIR system doesn't affect performance with the exception of less backfire/popping on deceleration.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Squid

scottieman......i love the way my bike runs...im just too scared, i know, i know

7moore7.....as of right now I have no backfire/popping on decel, and I do think that Im gonna just stick to the kn filter

jack flash....thanks for the advice, I got it to go smoothly
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Dont do it. Its way more complicated than you are thinking. Has to do with the fluid motion of air but pod filters are actually more restrictive and way harder to tune. You need the volume of the airbox for many reasons.

It is never going to be an improvement so not at all worth it. Direct your wrenching elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
SuperBike

To explain in more detail what smokinjoe73 is talking about... the filter media provides clean air and as a byproduct of that process is air velocity restriction. The volume in the airbox between the filter and carbs is clean air that's up for grabs. What I mean by that is when you snap those butterflies open that volume of unrestricted clean air can go straight into the engine. The only thing the velocity stacks have to do is provide direction and velocity to that air. By using pods you have reduced that clean air volume that's up for grabs to almost zero. So in the case of pods, when you snap those butterflies open, the clean air that the engine desires is restricted and hence velocity goes way down...

I agree that pods look cool and in some circumstances can be beneficial to performance, however in the case of a street bike where the two carbs are encased between two hot cylinders, a frame and a gas tank performance is hindered. Honda designed the airbox the way it is for a reason and this has been tested over and over again. Not only does the airbox provide ready air to help throttle response as already mentioned, it also keeps that air somewhat shielded from the heat of the engine, helps the cv carbs do their job by creating a more steady barometric pressure zone, but also utilizes a snorkel to help direct air into the airbox as well as that barrier plate up front to steady the air and keep water out...

Holy smokes Batman, was that a long winded response... and to think I just managed that with one finger on my cell...

So anyways, unless you plan on dumping some money on some mechanical carbs, tuning will be a bitch if not impossible and if your looking for performance I'd stay away from the idea.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
SuperBike

Unless you wanna be the new Guinea pig
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, see thats what I was saying, but with more ...words.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by scottiemann
So anyways, unless you plan on dumping some money on some mechanical carbs
And by some you mean well over a grand!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ss-sale-27162/
Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
These threads are funny. If you want more power try twisting the throttle more......
If your into just straight flat runs then get a different bike.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

No jeep, then he'll be on that forum asking about pod filters. We gotta set him straight now.

No one left behind...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

I cant seem to tune my carbs correctly. But I do have a drop in kn filter that works lovely. Any suggestions?
I just now read this again this morning and got a kick out of it...

Two very contradicting statements! I can't get my carbs to run correctly/ the K&N works great! Hint: Try using an OEM paper filter like sage said earlier...

To be fair, kirk is talking about running pod filters to not deal with the hassle of an airbox, not get more performance

Good explanation scottiemann, I've never heard it laid out that way before.

Last edited by 7moore7; 10-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

Uh, hassle of an airbox? How is an airbox more hassle than weeks of rejetting using pod filters, not to mention the time to remove it and put it back in after you fail?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

I dont know about you guys but i dont have unlimited free access to a dyno, if I did Id probably give it a shot but alas I dont... so airbox is good for me
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Uh, hassle of an airbox? How is an airbox more hassle than weeks of rejetting using pod filters, not to mention the time to remove it and put it back in after you fail?
That's why it's funny. And probably a very good thing he checked around before trying to run pods...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Squid

what i was saying is that i cant get the pods tuned correctly. i do have my other set of carbs that are set up for my kn filter......yes looking at it i too laughed, that sounded retarded, sorry

Quick Reply: Pod Filters