Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Photos of FZ-1 Mirrors On Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Squid

zakthor
Photos of FZ-1 Mirrors On Superhawk

After commuting a little I'm really unhappy with the mirrors. I stopped at the local shop, they had yamaha FZ1 and R1 mirrors in stock, decided to try.

First, the bolt distance is 1-1/8", and is the same as the stock SH mirrors.

I came home with a single right FZ-1 mirror. The glass is HUGE, the stem is REALLY LONG, sadly, it attaches at a different angle so the stem is swept back too far. Also, the mirror doesn't adjust enough to be useful.

So, stock, this mirror won't work.

The bolts that extend from the base of the unit are about 1/2" longer than the stock SH mirrors, I'm going to try mounting the mirror on a wedge, see if I can cons up something that will work.

Photos are shared out at:

http://zakthor.dyndns.org/web/vtr100...rors/page1.htm

The R1 mirror is so much shorter, and this one is SO MIGHTY... we'll see.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Photos of FZ-1 Mirrors On Superhawk

Yeah, I had the same thoughts! LMAO. I too had tried the r1 and loved the look but not the look in the mirror so much (still a little too much arm).

Here's a couple of comparison shots of the R1 vs the FZ1. I'm using the superhawks mounts but I think you could just drill out the FZ1's bolts which I had to do anyway and grind off the stops and use another bolt. I had to cut the rubber covers to sit flush since the 'hawks mounts are not the same.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Squid

zakthor

Can't believe they shipped the bike with such crappy mirrors. Can really short skinny folks see with them? I'm normally proportioned 6' and I can't see much out of the stock mirrors. Imagine if honda made a car with such bad mirrors.

Anyway, I wussed out, took the mirror back. Rode to work a few more times and I just can't handle that crappy visibility. I went back to the store and surveyed the bikes, the FZ-1s are the biggest. I came home with that same mirror again.

Mounted flush the mirror stem lays back too far, aero-dynamical like, so I made a wedge out of a piece of Ipe hardwood so it sticks out further. The bolts are too long to bolt on with the stock bolts, but with the wedge in place they work fine.

The result is fantastic. Currently only have one on the right, the view is so good, I can see behind and to the left with it better than I can with the left mirror. Now I can easily watch the cars approach while stopped at a stoplight.

I can't see what an R1 mirror would do for you on this bike, they aren't that much bigger at all.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Back Marker

call me phil

i found out yesterday that the only way i can fully use the mirrors is at highway speeds tucked unde my screen and the mirror angled down to see behind me. i think honda engineers are either, 1.testing the bike on the autobahn, or, 2.really really short! aftter all caucasions are just too damn tall! extra points if anyone can tell me what movie that last line came from....